Page 316 of 418 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366416 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,792 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Any negative judgement on anyone in our trade team is unjustified IMO.

We clearly had cap problems which we've now solved by moving on two players who contributed little in our 2018 campaign, a campaign where we beat the Premiers twice and the runner up late in the season, all with significant outs in our side.

We had a tilt at Langdon but ultimately he's decided to not move away from home and stay at the runner up Pies on what you'd think is a much increased offer from them. Not a fail, just not a win but was always unlikely.

Would have been nice to land a significant midfielder but they're all "going home" to big Vic deals, Neale is going elsewhere for picks we couldn't match.

We've secured Blakey a widely regarded top 7 pick in a super draft and now have a stronger draft hand. Plus we've added Saints future second likely to be low 20s.

Too much hysteria on here that we've failed. We haven't. Activity does not make a successful trade period, strengthening your overall position does.

Let's just sit back and in a relaxed state watch the final day frenzy occur. I'm hoping for a decent @@@@ up like Dodoro not agreeing to GWS demands for Shiel until it's too late to lodge the paperwork! Chill out folks.

For me I’m Not a negative person

I’m generally hopeful

The concerns I have are legitimate to me and justified

I suppose the big factor though is thatall of our opinions are not relevant until rd 23 next year When we see the results and secondly we have today left in trade week.

The issue I have is that as at today we have not achieved what was stated by the club as important in trade week

Secondly we have fallen behind significantly other teams in close competition to us such as bombers hawks north

So by default I don’t think we have achieved this trade period unless we make a great trade today or we have our juniors rise above our expectations next year and or we pick up an emerging Luke Parker at pick 38 Or 39 and or we are top4

For me these are legitimate areas we have not achieved yet and or not given ourselves the best opportunity to vs teams that are close in competition to us

The hawks bombers and north in my opinion have given themselves the best chance of improving for next year. We have not. I don’t think our recruitment and depth is in alignment with significant improvemt

Yes I agree that recruitment has been much easier for the above clubs because they are melbourne based. This is a significant factor. Generally the recruiting has been young Victorian men who want to go back home.

I am concerned because Tippo, Hannes, Rohan have left and although we have youth it is a big call we will be much stronger versus the improved other teams close by in or just outside the 8

The teams below easily had as many injuries as us last year if not more at times. They have improved or are on a trajectory of significant improvement ie gws are about to absolutely peak with right age right depth right players

Collingwood
    GWS
    Hawks
    Bombers
    North
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 17th October 2018 at 09:46 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Any negative judgement on anyone in our trade team is unjustified IMO.

We clearly had cap problems which we've now solved by moving on two players who contributed little in our 2018 campaign, a campaign where we beat the Premiers twice and the runner up late in the season, all with significant outs in our side.

We had a tilt at Langdon but ultimately he's decided to not move away from home and stay at the runner up Pies on what you'd think is a much increased offer from them. Not a fail, just not a win but was always unlikely.

Would have been nice to land a significant midfielder but they're all "going home" to big Vic deals, Neale is going elsewhere for picks we couldn't match.

We've secured Blakey a widely regarded top 7 pick in a super draft and now have a stronger draft hand. Plus we've added Saints future second likely to be low 20s.

Too much hysteria on here that we've failed. We haven't. Activity does not make a successful trade period, strengthening your overall position does.

Let's just sit back and in a relaxed state watch the final day frenzy occur. I'm hoping for a decent @@@@ up like Dodoro not agreeing to GWS demands for Shiel until it's too late to lodge the paperwork! Chill out folks.
    Good one, 707.

I hope todays supposed mega deal doesnt come off, and Brisbane keep Beams.
    Giants may end up keeping shiel now that Scully has gone, and if they can offload Lobb.

Agree Scully has been a game changer for gws and shiels

Love to have been a fly on the wall hearing the conditions re shiels going to bombers or NOT

If you're bored waiting for something to happen today here is a nice article re Josh Kennedy and family for your reading pleasure.
    Sydney Swans captain Josh Kennedy is teaching his son it's OK to cry - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Agree Scully has been a game changer for gws and shiels

Love to have been a fly on the wall hearing the conditions re shiels going to bombers or NOT
    I would love GWS to play hardball with Essendon and say two first round picks or it's not happening. Essendon absolutely need to get the deal done given all of the media surrounding Shiel, so GWS should absolutely not accept anything less than two first rounders, provided Scully, Lobb and Setterfield provide the short-term cap relief they need.

Are we becoming a club that is not attractive to come to because of our style of play? Just asking

Part of what I'm thinking is that not only have the Swans freed up some cash to be able to keep some of the developing stars, but it could be argued that they are working off a more business like long term structure where without being reactionary, having belief in a long term plan already laid out and not picking up players that are not needed.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Part of what I'm thinking is that not only have the Swans freed up some cash to be able to keep some of the developing stars, but it could be argued that they are working off a more business like long term structure where without being reactionary, having belief in a long term plan already laid out and not picking up players that are not needed.
    I agree. And I'd like to believe we're potentially positioning ourselves for a particular free agent next year.

The trade period isn't quite over yet, so I think all the chatter about a failed trade week is premature. We've shown in the past we are savvy traders and manage our existing list well. Yes, it would be disappointing to fail to land the positional targets that Harley outlined, but our side is well placed with players returning from injury as well as the natural improvement from what is a relatively young squad. I would be more disappointed if we were to make a knee jerk reaction to missing targeted players, and chase players that don't quite fit our requirements while overpaying in terms of what we give up & what we pay the player.
    Ed Considine's day out - Round 3, 16th April 1995.
    11 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 8 Marks, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 1 Tackle, 1 Hitout, 3 Brownlow votes (his only votes)
    Ed = God

Senior Player
    Our top end is still quality, and we've got plenty of young potential, but I think we lack depth and many posters would feel better about trade period if we could've pulled off a few of those deals on a couple of those cheaper B Graders.

It's not the end of the world, but it is a little disappointing as it shouldn't be difficult to target those types and lock them in like we used to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chookbilly View Post
    I would be more disappointed if we were to make a knee jerk reaction to missing targeted players, and chase players that don't quite fit our requirements while overpaying in terms of what we give up & what we pay the player.
    That's what if felt like we were doing with Langdon

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post

That's what if felt like we were doing with Langdon
    I wouldn't say that was the case. I think it was a quite deliberate approach for a specific need. Harley spoke about our interest in Langdon as it would free up Mills/Jones to play more through the midfield.
    Ed Considine's day out - Round 3, 16th April 1995.
    11 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 8 Marks, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 1 Tackle, 1 Hitout, 3 Brownlow votes (his only votes)
    Ed = God