Page 339 of 418 FirstFirst ... 239289329335336337338339340341342343349389 ... LastLast
Results 4,057 to 4,068 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    I have charts on hit rates of picks (live picks only, father/sons etc are excluded):

This one shows the percentage of players taken in each band of picks who get to 100 games. 20 to 40 isn't a huge step down, and even 40 to 50 has a bit of a hit rate. Take several shots in these ranges and you're likely to get something out of it. Three picks in the 30s is probably going to have odds around that of two picks in the 20s.

Barry is right that a 1 in 3 hit rate of 100 gamers from picks 30-40 is a good outcome, but that's also true of all picks past pick 10.

survival.png

This one is the log-regressed value we use for each pick at HPN. The main noteworthy feature is, compared to the AFL's Draft Value Index (academy points) the picks in the back end of the second round have more value - the AFL undervalues them compared to what they actually produce. A general rule of thumb is if you've got say pick 22 from early in the second round, you should trade for any two picks before about pick 35 (Port's trade in 2016 that netted us 9 and 19 got them 14, 17 and 31 was a bet something like this that worked out for both parties - Florent and Hayward on one side, Powell-Pepper and Marshall on the other, jury still out on Atley and Drew).

2017DPVC-Dots.jpg

Example theoretical equivalent expected values are: pick 5 likely to give about what two pick 25s or three pick 43s do. The "sure thing" status of very high picks drops off a lot after about pick 3, and pick 5 usually goes well but has some notably ordinary recruits attached to it such as Xavier Clark, Matt Buntine, Brock McLean and Jarrad Grant.

Those values are all a bit theoretical, and clubs simply would not trade backwards just to get the equal odds suggested here. They'd want significantly greater odds from sacrificing the high pick. In reality everyone puts a premium on the early picks because they're surer things, they have prestige, you have a wider range of choices about who to take, and because list spots are finite. Carrying multiple guys as bets on getting at least one good best 22 player has a cost in terms of list spots. If you did it three years in a row, you might be carrying ten or twelve guys in the hope of getting what 3 high picks could give you.

(Plus I think list managers have a bias towards not trading early picks because of reputation risk).

But clubs do trade backwards occasionally, and to good effect. They do much more in US sports with drafts, and I reckon we're a bit too conservative about trading down to take multiple shots in the AFL. This is, after all an unusually team oriented game, and 22 good players is a lot of players, and hard to get quickly. Quantity has its own value, and spreading your risk over more players means less eggs in one high pick basket who might blow an ACL. I also think the "trade backwards and take multiple picks" approach probably needs to be done as a long term game. There's an unavoidable failure rate to taking a higher quantity of second and early third rounders, but if done consistently over several years it should smooth out the probabilities and ensure enough successful strikes to help build a team.

Upshot: If we get Blakey at 7 that leaves picks 37, 38 and 40, and at least one of those 3 later guys would be expected to work out as well, and sometimes a second guy might work out too. Especially if we choose to believe Sydney are, through Beatson and co, better at drafting and developing from the middle part of the draft than the average club is. These averages and probabilities do, after all, include players selected by the clubs who are worst at drafting and developing players.

blakey bid.PNG
    Last edited by R-1; 23rd October 2018 at 05:39 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    After Blakey, picks 37,38 and 40 are not really worth much. If you get one 100 gamer out of that lot, you're doing well.
    I hope we upgrade those to a 20's pick
    We've picked up a stack of top quality players around that mark, Micky O, No.37, Reid, Parker etc

Great graphs R-1.

It seems the top of the draft is firming with the top 6 settling down to not include a bid on Blakey. Walsh, Lukocious, Rankine, BKing, Rozee, the other Vic mid?. So pick 7 or later suits us just fine.
    Last edited by 707; 23rd October 2018 at 05:43 PM.

Great post R-1. Very insightful.
    I wonder if their is a time aspect to this as well. As the years have gone by and clubs invest more into the draft selection process, the hidden gems at 40+ become rarer and rarer.

I mean a 250 gamer at pick 55 means he got overlooked by each club 3 times already.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Great post R-1. Very insightful.
    I wonder if their is a time aspect to this as well. As the years have gone by and clubs invest more into the draft selection process, the hidden gems at 40+ become rarer and rarer.

I mean a 250 gamer at pick 55 means he got overlooked by each club 3 times already.
    To my understanding, even in US drafts with older draft ages and college sport as a proving ground, there's still a stubborn failure rate for higher picks.

As for us, I suspect the art of reading the injury, wellbeing, and attitude futures of even the most promising 17 year olds hasn't gotten a lot better, judging by the continued whiffs like Jono O'Rourke and hard luck cases like Anthony Morabito and Jack Trengove on one side, and gems like Luke Parker and Tom McDonald on the other.

But maybe clubs are getting better at isolating the "good risk" guys and separating them from the project players. That would mean a higher success rate in taking the better chances inside 40, and less guys slipping past, but without clubs actually getting better at sorting and arranging the players within the top 40 or so.
    Last edited by R-1; 23rd October 2018 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    To my understanding, even in US drafts with older draft ages and college sport as a proving ground, there's still a stubborn failure rate for higher picks.

As for us, I suspect the art of reading the injury, wellbeing, and attitude futures of even the most promising 17 year olds hasn't gotten a lot better, judging by the continued whiffs like Jono O'Rourke and hard luck cases like Anthony Morabito and Jack Trengove on one side, and gems like Luke Parker and Tom McDonald on the other.

But maybe clubs are getting better at isolating the "good risk" guys and separating them from the project players. That would mean a higher success rate in taking the better chances inside 40, and less guys slipping past, but without clubs actually getting better at sorting and arranging the players within the top 40 or so.
    I don't know the kind of resourses you have, R-1, but it would be interesting rating each club's draft against expectations. I think you already have the algorithm for computing the player versus expectations for each year since drafted. You should be able to value the draft expectations for each club based on pick number and compare that to actual performance as the years roll by. Drafts can be grouped by a period of years, so you could show how clubs compare for drafts from, e.g. 2010-2014.

Champion Data must have something like this, because I've seen on Fox, usually with David King, a chart showing how every player ranks by age versus expectations.

Senior Player
    We did this analysis as part of the draft chapter of the book we contributed to (Footbalistics), the short answer is from 1993 to 06, Geelong did by far the best against expectations. Sydney were 6th, and all the top sides except St Kilda won flags from the resulting draft hauls.
    Last edited by R-1; 23rd October 2018 at 07:47 PM.

That graph says you are more likely to get a 100 gamer or 150 gamer out of picks 31-40 than you are from picks 21-30

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    That graph says you are more likely to get a 100 gamer or 150 gamer out of picks 31-40 than you are from picks 21-30
    Yeah, it gets pretty marginal around this range, they're a fairly flat set of picks and I'd probably chalk up the slight differences between those ranges as random chance.

Robinson and Marsh goneski:
    List changes - sydneyswans.com.au
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

The club just announced that Harry March and Dan Robinson won't be offered new contracts.
    I hope they get opportunities at other clubs. Dan Robinson could've been something but those shoulder recos really hurt his development and he just never was the same player when he came back.
    Marsh was good, but never was going to be great. Reminds me of Saddington.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLong View Post
    The club just announced that Harry March and Dan Robinson won't be offered new contracts.
    I hope they get opportunities at other clubs. Dan Robinson could've been something but those shoulder recos really hurt his development and he just never was the same player when he came back.
    Marsh was good, but never was going to be great. Reminds me of Saddington.
    Suprised by Robinson to be honest. Thought he was a good depth player who always played his role, Marsh I saw coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Robinson and Marsh goneski:
    List changes - sydneyswans.com.au
    Dan is somewhat of a loss, Harry is no great loss.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.