Page 364 of 418 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364365366367368374414 ... LastLast
Results 4,357 to 4,368 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Ah...another well considered and insightful view from one of our favourite posters.
    Tell me where we weren't ripped off. Aside from the fact that he has become, shall we say, "slow" and "inept" over the last two years, he's a senior, premiership player, ON A CONTRACT. St Kilda don't care if he doesn't play (like it's going to make a difference anyway with his effective disposal rates), they want him for that seniority and experience... for that you have to pay a better price.
    The alternative is that Hanners put his tail between his legs and get used to spending the rest of his career in the ressies.
    AFAIC, the draft pick wasn't high enough for that "seniority" and "experience".

Happy now?

- - - Updated - - -

Menzel...

Aside from the four knee reconstructions Menzel has overcome, the talented forward has had groin issues this year. Geelong chose not to offer him a contract, in part due to his weakness as a defensive player, despite booting 40 goals in 2017 and averaging 2.1 goals per game this year.

So, we just got rid of a player who has had multiple knee reconstructions...
    We recruited a top-tier forward, who was prone to injury...

Can't freakin' wait to say I told youse so.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    As one does with a bottle of good McLaren Vale Shiraz tucked away, had a fiddle with draft points in regards to the Blakey bid.

If Blakey slipped as far as 10, we would use 26 & 33 but gain pick 50. With the use of multiple picks for single Academy & F/S, this pick could end up mid 40s. Now that might tempt us to use an extra draft pick other than the three consecutive picks we have flagged using.

My guess is that Gold Coast will call Blakey's name at 6. Would that impact our pick 38? Would be nice if we could keep those three consecutive picks intact. Can't see us taking 5 at the ND.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    My guess is that Gold Coast will call Blakey's name at 6. Would that impact our pick 38? Would be nice if we could keep those three consecutive picks intact. Can't see us taking 5 at the ND.
    I don't get why Gold Coast would want to bid on Blakey at 6, when they have to take the best player possible to build their future stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I don't get why Gold Coast would want to bid on Blakey at 6, when they have to take the best player possible to build their future stocks.
    If they bid at 6 and don't get him does that affect their bid 6? If it doesn't and they still have pick 6 then they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I hope they don't bid on him (or any other club for that matter) just to force us to use our 1st 2 picks.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I don't understand that comment.

For a start, it is quite feasible that they consider Blakey is the best available player at that pick to build their future stocks.
    Secondly, they'll know that Sydney will match a bid at pick six so even if they don't think he's the best available player at that pick, they still get to choose whoever they think is.

I'm not predicting they will (or won't) bid at that pick. Just confused on the suggestion it makes no sense for them to do so.

In answer to Bloodspirit's question, a bid at pick six will impact pick 38. It will get pushed back around seven places. (The residual value falls between picks 44 and 45, and I don't know if the AFL rounds up or down - presumably down).

A bid at pick seven also affects pick 38 but shifts it down just one or two spots, meaning it doesn't affect the club's group of three picks in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    In answer to Bloodspirit's question, a bid at pick six will impact pick 38. It will get pushed back around seven places. (The residual value falls between picks 44 and 45, and I don't know if the AFL rounds up or down - presumably down).
    In the case Blakey is matched at pick 6, I think pick 38 will become pick 37 after we use pick 33 and pick 37 will drop to pick 44. The real issue is that there will be 4 intervening picks between our original pick 40 and whatever original pick 38 falls to, but 3 of those picks will be used by Collingwood and North for their priority selections, so only a Freo pick will fall between our current picks 39 and 40. The bottom line is that it is unlikely to have any impact on our 4th selection.

Regular in the Side
    Potential Rookies: Sydney has sought and received permission to audition three New South Wales-based footballers before the draft.

Canberra Demons teammates Mitch Maguire and Angus Baker, both 20, plus Jack Blair, a raw 205cm ruckman from UNSW-Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs, are the trio.

Permission to train: Crows, Swans trialling fresh faces - AFL.com.au

Some more background of Jack Blair- a Pyke in the making?
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-1...trial-at-swans
    Last edited by Aaron; 10th November 2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Additional information

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron;766018

[url="http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-10/jack-blair-205cm-112kg-rugby-convert-nicknamed-beanstalk-on-trial-at-swans"
    205cm, 112kg rugby convert nicknamed 'Beanstalk' in rookie mix - AFL.com.au[/url]
    Love the sound of this guy...A long term, intriguing, project.... Much like Mr Pyke
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    The name didn't ring a bell but, having read the article, I do now recall watching one NEAFL game with a reasonably impressive ring-in ruckman.

I get the rugby parallels with Pyke, but I remember him reminding me that day of Naismith when he first played a few games in the NEAFL side (the year before he was rookied). He was a lumbering, out of shape bloke who, nonetheless showed natural instincts and decent aggression. Naismith played a few more NEAFL games in his pre-draft season so we got to have a bit more of a look at him. I don't recall many specifics of Blair's game, other than he was having a genuine dip.

The fact he's already 23 puts his physicality into a bit of perspective. But if you can get decent ruckmen cheaply, and then get them in reasonable physical nick, it doesn't matter if you only get a few playing seasons out of them. Even if you get them young (and pay more for them) you'll still probably only get a few playing seasons out of them anyway.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Potential Rookies: Sydney has sought and received permission to audition three New South Wales-based footballers before the draft.

Canberra Demons teammates Mitch Maguire and Angus Baker, both 20, plus Jack Blair, a raw 205cm ruckman from UNSW-Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs, are the trio.

Permission to train: Crows, Swans trialling fresh faces - AFL.com.au

205cm, 112kg rugby convert nicknamed 'Beanstalk' in rookie mix - AFL.com.au
    I assume with the intention of possibly rookie listing them.

Liz & Ludwig are correct, a bid on Blakey at 7 doesn't affect our group of three, a bid at 6 puts Freo pick between our third and fourth picks. I'm thinking with Rozee powering up the boards that the earliest we see a pick is 7, Walsh, Luko, Rankine, King, Rozee, Smith firming to be the first six called, can't see Port or GC bothering to piss us off, Port will be glad to get an SA gun, GC are worrying about their existence! Blakey could even slip beyond 7.
    Last edited by 707; 10th November 2018 at 08:46 PM.

The argument that I have heard (mainly explained by Twomey) in regards to clubs not bidding on FS and academy players is in regards to perceptions that the player that they actually pick is 2nd prize and not as highly sought after. Eg if GC bid on Blakey at 6 and then end up taking Smith at 7, they are saying to Smith that they don’t rate him as highly. They’d rather say that they got the 6th best player in the draft and the player that they always wanted.