Page 366 of 418 FirstFirst ... 266316356362363364365366367368369370376416 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,392 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I see your logic rb4x, but I dont think a team should be penalised for bidding for a player.

The logic of why teams bid for player is a bit of a mystery to me. Essentially Blakey has nominated Sydney as his preferred team by coming in under a father-son rule. Isnt that the same as Cyril Rioli saying he wasnt interested in being drafted by anyone outside of Melbourne.
    Why would Gold Coast bid pick 6 for blakey when they know he doesnt want to go there.

Regular in the Side
    Easy answer as to why GC might bid on Blakey at 6. It forces the Swans to use some of there pick 38 which will slide down the order and potentially below another GC pick. Not the case in this instance but at no cost to GC they can still get the preferred player they want at 6 and also hurt the Swans which might also advantage them. Not the case at present but with pick trading still live they could possibly engineer something.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Easy answer as to why GC might bid on Blakey at 6. It forces the Swans to use some of there pick 38 which will slide down the order and potentially below another GC pick. Not the case in this instance but at no cost to GC they can still get the preferred player they want at 6 and also hurt the Swans which might also advantage them. Not the case at present but with pick trading still live they could possibly engineer something.
    But why would Gold Coast bother ? Seems an unneccessary distraction from their own pick strategy. And introduces the risk of swans not matching and getting a player who doesnt want to be there. Big risk, low upside.

Do you think there is some sort of informal block of clubs which go through and make sure special picks (father-son/academy) arent bargins and nominate a club to do the heavy lifting (ie put a bid in)

There is nothing to suggest that there have been any vexatious bids in any of the years that the discount for Academy players and father-sons have been operating. Seems well premature to start looking at deterrent measures. So far all bids that have been made have been quite legitimate as far as I recall. If anything, the bids often tend to come later than the player's talent suggests they might deserve (which is understandable).

Veterans List
    Looks like the new boys are settling in well....

Swans recruit ready to fill vacant Hannebery role - AFL.com.au

Veterans List
    Anyone seen the full list of F/S, NGA & Academy nominations? I believe the listing period closed last week but can't find anything on the AFL website.

Be interesting to see just how many draftees are already tied to clubs.

Hi 707, I did a google search and came up with this link from BF forum Draft Profile - Father/Sons & Academy Selections 2018 | BigFooty

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Hi 707, I did a google search and came up with this link from BF forum Draft Profile - Father/Sons & Academy Selections 2018 | BigFooty
    I think that reiterates 707's point - it's just a list of everyone who some BF poster thought was eligible, not those that clubs have actually nominated.

Interesting that GWS have 7 Academy names; Brisbane 5; Suns 3; Swans 2.
    I understand the lists are not official ....
    But says something

Foxsports have created a list of the top 50 ranked potential draftees. They have published in two tranches: 1-25 and 26-50. The latter is interesting because it indicates some of the talent they reckon is to be found around where we will be drafting with our three picks after Blakey. The talent includes a number of inside mids (including Ely Smith) at least one of whom I would think we would draft because (a) it is an area where we are a little light on for depth; and (b) it represents a position where you can get good quality and value for a pick at the end of the second round.

Chris Doerre aka Knightmare has also published a phantom draft for the first three rounds of the draft and it's interesting to see some of the names he has us selecting: AFL Draft phantom Chris Doerre Knightmare first three rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    But why would Gold Coast bother ? Seems an unneccessary distraction from their own pick strategy. And introduces the risk of swans not matching and getting a player who doesnt want to be there. Big risk, low upside.
    I don't agree. Nick Blakey is worth pick 6. In the unlikely event that we did not match the Suns would celebrate and back themselves to retain him and profit from their good fortune, potentially leveraging off any existing relationship Stuey Dew has with him. They probably have at least as much chance of retaining a NSW boy as a Victorian (or WA/SA boy).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Potential Rookies: Sydney has sought and received permission to audition three New South Wales-based footballers before the draft.

Canberra Demons teammates Mitch Maguire and Angus Baker, both 20, plus Jack Blair, a raw 205cm ruckman from UNSW-Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs, are the trio.

Permission to train: Crows, Swans trialling fresh faces - AFL.com.au

Some more background of Jack Blair- a Pyke in the making?
    205cm, 112kg rugby convert nicknamed 'Beanstalk' in rookie mix - AFL.com.au
    Can I go back to this to ask someone who knows - I have no clue on such matters - what does it actually mean that we have "sought and received permission to audition" these three players? Does it mean, for example, that we have exclusive access to taking them onto our rookie list, or just what is the significance?

The leads different posters have given suggest that they would all certainly be worth an audition.