Page 36 of 418 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Mason Cox very good yesterday, Moore getting cheaper as we go on, next years third I reckon?????? McGovern won't leave Perth, has a young family I believe
    McGovern is worth pursuing as he's the best intercept mark in the comp. Moore will struggle to get back in Collingwood's senior team once he's fit. I can't see any purpose of going after Moore as so far he's been a dud.

With Tippett off the books, if Macca retires we should clear enough space to get McGovern if he's willing to come to Sydney. I too can't see him leaving West Coast.

I still go back to my earlier thoughts that I don't see a crisis here, even when Reg retires and Aliir doesn't work out. Maibaum is coming along well enough and AJ is actually looking pretty good. We still have Melican, and Reid can play back if needed. We have McCartin, Cameron, Armatey and Blakey to vie for a second tall forward spot, so why chase a high priced player, however good he is. McGovern may be a very good defender, but he's no Buddy Franklin.

I think we have perhaps the deepest quality KPP list going around. They are for the most part young with a lot of development to go, but I feel the weight of numbers alone will produce at least a couple of very good players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    McGovern is worth pursuing as he's the best intercept mark in the comp. Moore will struggle to get back in Collingwood's senior team once he's fit. I can't see any purpose of going after Moore as so far he's been a dud.

With Tippett off the books, if Macca retires we should clear enough space to get McGovern if he's willing to come to Sydney. I too can't see him leaving West Coast.

I still go back to my earlier thoughts that I don't see a crisis here, even when Reg retires and Aliir doesn't work out. Maibaum is coming along well enough and AJ is actually looking pretty good. We still have Melican, and Reid can play back if needed. We have McCartin, Cameron, Armatey and Blakey to vie for a second tall forward spot, so why chase a high priced player, however good he is. McGovern may be a very good defender, but he's no Buddy Franklin.

I think we have perhaps the deepest quality KPP list going around. They are for the most part young with a lot of development to go, but I feel the weight of numbers alone will produce at least a couple of very good players.
    +1 I recall Harley saying along the lines Allir is thought highly by the club & is in future plans (may've been last year when Allir was recovering from injury).

Veterans List
    Come on guys, we're past the half way mark and no one is putting up lists of retirements, delistings, trades! Usually by this time of year we're awash with list change suggestions.

We've got 38 on the main list, two less than the 40 maximum. A few second year rookies need to be upgraded or given a third year. We currently have picks 16, 31, 34, 70. Who are the movements at end of season?

Retired - Tippett, McVeigh gives minus two (from minimum 38)
    Delist - Rose, Foote, Robbo? gives minus five
    Upgrade - Ronke gives minus four

Trade in Darcy Moore, Jeremy McGovern :-)

Senior Player
    Trade in Darcy Moore.
    Yeah, nah.

I'd rather de Goey.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Yeah, nah.

I'd rather de Goey.
    I thought it was a done deal he�s playing with us next year

I doubt the McGovern story. Absolutely no sources are quoted. It could be complete BS. At least in Moore's case the club confirmed that we had made inquiries.

I do rate McGovern highly but doubt we can afford him. The space cleared by Tippett and Macca will quickly be gobbled up by Buddy's contract (which just grows over the length of the contract, it was really back-ended to enable us to pay for him), by the no doubt increasing amounts factored into the contracts for Parker, Heeney, Mills (which were all resigned in the last couple of years to long term deals - along with JPK), and by the increasing amounts we will need to pay to our developing young talent (Lloyd, Jones, Florent, Hayward etc.).

I don't think we have an especially deep KPP list. Numerous other clubs seem to have better depth in this department. Most of our so called 'depth' KPPs are entirely untried and unproven, especially in the front half. McCartin has shown promise and has a good tank and competitiveness - but is he a goalkicker? Pink and Amartey may never make it. Either could be delisted this year even though both have shown promise. Blakey looks a great prospect but we haven't even drafted him yet. In the back half, AJ is on a prayer. Maibaum is going ok, and is improving, but we still haven't extended his original 2 year contract from when he was drafted (whereas Florent, Hayward and Cameron all got a third year promptly) so he is also at risk of being de-listed, particularly if we trade in Moore or some other KPD. Marsh is not the answer, I'm not sure that he even answers to the description of a KPP anyway (<190 cm, like Rampe). Aliir has some height and great athleticism but is in limbo. Inside the best 22 we have Buddy, Reid, Reg (who knows how long for) and Melican.

707, I agree with your de-list/retire/upgrade and I think other de-listings are on the cards but it's hard to say who. There are many players who may be renewed or may not. As noted above these include: all the rookies except Ronke and, I'd say, Fox plus Maibaum, Marsh and Newman. I don't think we'd de-list Marsh or Newman but if they are not going to play in the seniors they may well be better off going elsewhere and leave the club via trade. Aliir in the same category except I don't think we'd get value for him in a trade so I'd prefer we keep him. Then again might depend on him and any personal reasons he has for wanting to e.g. return to WA or Qld.

We still need to re-sign Lloyd, Aliir, Smith, Naismith, Towers and, of course, Reg.

Reflecting on all this, the prospect of trading in a KPP seems increasingly plausible to me. Someone who is more mature than Blakey/McCartin and someone more proven and certain than Maibaum/AJ/Pink/Amartey/Aliir. Probably to play back half since we have Buddy and Reid for the front half now and Blakey and McCartin in the pipeline for later.

Veterans List

Trade in Darcy Moore, Jeremy McGovern :-)
    McGovern yes, Moore no.....he's another Soft Tissue Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I doubt the McGovern story. Absolutely no sources are quoted. It could be complete BS. At least in Moore's case the club confirmed that we had made inquiries.

I do rate McGovern highly but doubt we can afford him. The space cleared by Tippett and Macca will quickly be gobbled up by Buddy's contract (which just grows over the length of the contract, it was really back-ended to enable us to pay for him), by the no doubt increasing amounts factored into the contracts for Parker, Heeney, Mills (which were all resigned in the last couple of years to long term deals - along with JPK), and by the increasing amounts we will need to pay to our developing young talent (Lloyd, Jones, Florent, Hayward etc.).

I don't think we have an especially deep KPP list. Numerous other clubs seem to have better depth in this department. Most of our so called 'depth' KPPs are entirely untried and unproven, especially in the front half. McCartin has shown promise and has a good tank and competitiveness - but is he a goalkicker? Pink and Amartey may never make it. Either could be delisted this year even though both have shown promise. Blakey looks a great prospect but we haven't even drafted him yet. In the back half, AJ is on a prayer. Maibaum is going ok, and is improving, but we still haven't extended his original 2 year contract from when he was drafted (whereas Florent, Hayward and Cameron all got a third year promptly) so he is also at risk of being de-listed, particularly if we trade in Moore or some other KPD. Marsh is not the answer, I'm not sure that he even answers to the description of a KPP anyway (<190 cm, like Rampe). Aliir has some height and great athleticism but is in limbo. Inside the best 22 we have Buddy, Reid, Reg (who knows how long for) and Melican.

707, I agree with your de-list/retire/upgrade and I think other de-listings are on the cards but it's hard to say who. There are many players who may be renewed or may not. As noted above these include: all the rookies except Ronke and, I'd say, Fox plus Maibaum, Marsh and Newman. I don't think we'd de-list Marsh or Newman but if they are not going to play in the seniors they may well be better off going elsewhere and leave the club via trade. Aliir in the same category except I don't think we'd get value for him in a trade so I'd prefer we keep him. Then again might depend on him and any personal reasons he has for wanting to e.g. return to WA or Qld.

We still need to re-sign Lloyd, Aliir, Smith, Naismith, Towers and, of course, Reg.

Reflecting on all this, the prospect of trading in a KPP seems increasingly plausible to me. Someone who is more mature than Blakey/McCartin and someone more proven and certain than Maibaum/AJ/Pink/Amartey/Aliir. Probably to play back half since we have Buddy and Reid for the front half now and Blakey and McCartin in the pipeline for later.
    Surely a ready to play ruck-fwd will be on the shopping list too unless Cameron or Amartey make it into the 22 this year. Which would be another tall.

I wonder who we are investigating at other clubs?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The space cleared by Tippett and Macca will quickly be gobbled up by Buddy's contract (which just grows over the length of the contract, it was really back-ended to enable us to pay for him), by the no doubt increasing amounts factored into the contracts for Parker, Heeney, Mills (which were all resigned in the last couple of years to long term deals - along with JPK), and by the increasing amounts we will need to pay to our developing young talent (Lloyd, Jones, Florent, Hayward etc.)
    Agree with a lot of this except, Liam Pickering said on SEN recently, Buddy�s annual salary is peaking this year and next and is not as high in the final years.

Veterans List
    After tonight and seeing Aliir back in 2016 form, watching the growth of Florent, getting excited about the youngest player in the league Tom McCartin, why are we being linked to McGovern who would cost us $1mill/5years or Moore who will cost us at the trade table and want good $ we can't afford. Don't even see a position for Moore.

Surely this is mostly media idle chatter.

What type of players do we need to draft this year given we are getting Nick Blakey?

Senior Player
    After tonight and seeing Aliir back in 2016 form, watching the growth of Florent, getting excited about the youngest player in the league Tom McCartin, why are we being linked to McGovern who would cost us $1mill/5years or Moore who will cost us at the trade table and want good $ we can't afford. Don't even see a position for Moore.

Surely this is mostly media idle chatter.

What type of players do we need to draft this year given we are getting Nick Blakey?
    McGovern is a good player, but I'd re-sign Lloyd first.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    McGovern is a good player, but I'd re-sign Lloyd first.
    As would I, but what do we know. Best left to others.