Page 390 of 418 FirstFirst ... 290340380386387388389390391392393394400 ... LastLast
Results 4,669 to 4,680 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Gee whizz I hate Eddie.

While I myself was hoping that players like RCD and even Ely Smith would slide to the pick we traded back into the 2nd round for, there was pretty much no chance of that happening (RCD and Smith were both universally tipped to go by that pick in all phantom drafts with the lions hot on Smith). Therefore the club has obviously got a couple of other players that they are extremely keen on bringing in. Here's hoping the player we really want hasn't been selected yet by the end of the 1st round and doesn't go before our first selection today!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

“Sydney now holds picks 25, 40, 45, 80, 95 and 98, after completing live trades for picks and matching a bid for Academy product Nick Blakey on the first night of the two-day event.”

So it is like we ended up with picks 10, 25, 40, 45, 80, 95 and 98 ie pick 10 Blakey

for me it was very clever trading out our pick 26 so it didn’t get used up on Blakey and then bringing back in pick 24 (now25)

Remembering also our pick 26 we gave WCE became pick 29

We could not have kept a pick in the 20s any other way as it would had been used on Blakey

We scored a pick 10 player and we have pick 25 in a very strong draft and it appears pick 25 for a player we very much want to join our squad

Prior to the draft It was likely we would have to use picks 26 and 33 for Blakey then only have at best 39,40,41 depending on where Blakey was drafted

Yes we lost a future 2nd round pick in the late 20s most likely but obviously our recruitment team don’t rate picks in the late 20s next years draft much compared to a player they want this year at pick 25 this year
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 23rd November 2018 at 06:05 AM.

If we only want to actively use two more picks in the draft ie pick 25 and another (besides picks 95 & or 98 on rookie upgrades) ......I wonder if we will bundle together picks 40 & 45 for say a pick 36 ?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I thought it was made clear pre-draft we were going to select four players, not including rookie upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    So before Eddie whinged that we got Heeney for a 1st Rounder
    Whinged we got Mills for our 1st rounder
    Now whinging cos teams didnt select Blakey early enough ?
    Eddie appears to have no qualms how we secured Blakey.

However.......

He was at it again this morning re Isaac Heeney. It started with Tom Brown reporting a draftee had informed clubs due to medical reasons he is unable to live/play outside his home state, which the AFL wasn't happy and sent a warning to all the player managers this tactic is not on. Eddie agreed saying players shouldn't nominate for the draft if this is the case. However Eddie then added if he was the draftee, he'd say to AFL that Isaac Heeney got to play where he wanted!!! Luke Darcy responded so did Quaynor, but Eddie then said the draft was different back then! Tom & Luke both said good point. WTF!!!!!!! The flaw with this comparison is just so obvious!!! If I recall, Darcy Moore got play where he wanted (Collingwood) in that same draft!!! Eddie just can't let go.

P.S. Phil Davis (GWS) tweeted Eddie must be happy having an academy after the Pies secured Quaynor, to which Eddie attempted to fire back but was restrained by Luke Darcy.

Veterans List
    Some highly rated players still there for us this morning (SA time). Just have a read of Twomey's Phantom Top 30 to see who he had that haven't yet gone. Harley did say that we'll just take best available with our three picks so could end up with a couple more HBF. McLennan appeals, as does Taylor, Hill could be wow if he's comfortable leaving Perth.

If WCE pass on Ian Hill with the first pick, he'll probably slide all the way to their pick around 30, a huge drop for a player in top 5 discussions at one point.

You'd think Valente will go to Crows, surely they can't leave this draft with no SA player?

Hoping Briggs (GWS) and Kelly (Pies) get bid on very early today, hopefully by the Crows. Bailey Scott (Norf) and Rhylee West (Dogs) should get bids in the first 6-8 today. Wonder if any team has done dodgy pick swaps overnight.

Oh lovely.
    Did I ever mention that Kinnear Beatson is a genius? Ever?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    The flaw with this comparison is just so obvious!!! If I recall, Darcy Moore got play where he wanted (Collingwood) in that same draft!!! Eddie just can't let go.
    Very different situations though...

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Oh lovely.
    Did I ever mention that Kinnear Beatson is a genius? Ever?
    Credit is being given to Chris Keane.

The masterstroke was devised by Swans' senior analyst Chris Keane on Thursday morning, allowing the Swans to attack this year's draft, while assisting the Eagles in 2019.

Live pick trades: Swans' sneaky move, Blues' bold play - AFL.com.au

In an interview on fox footy, Harley said it wasn't a prepared move before the draft, which is absolute BS.

So either our draft team felt they had to leave him out of the loop, or he's lying on TV.

Very odd thing to say.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    In an interview on fox footy, Harley said it wasn't a prepared move before the draft, which is absolute BS.

So either our draft team felt they had to leave him out of the loop, or he's lying on TV.

Very odd thing to say.
    It wasn't odd at all

He's hardly going to publicise that they devised a plan prior to the draft that while technically is within the rules, was a loophole to allow us to keep our higher picks

I'd be really concerned if he did admit it publicly