Page 409 of 418 FirstFirst ... 309359399405406407408409410411412413 ... LastLast
Results 4,897 to 4,908 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I’ve heard from a Brisbane supporting friend of mine that we were keen on Ely Smith who went to the Lions at pick 21. Given he is a similar type player to Rowbottom, that might have some validity to it
    For sure. I think the fact that they picked an inside mid gives a strong indication that they were looking for that kind of player (or I guess he could just have been "best available"). There were a few inside mids that went in the 20s, including a handful that phantom drafts (even the credible ones) had projected to go later.

I'm actually a bit disappointed the club didn't grab another one in this draft as there seemed to be a few around. I don't have any particular views on the other players the club drafted, except that we do seem to have accumulated a lot of the same kind of player. I know there's a perception that the Swans lack outside run and pace (only partly warranted IMO) but you still need a strong group of players who can win the hard ball - on the ground and in traffic. We have very little in the way of developing players of this type. At least Rowbottom is one.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    For sure. I think the fact that they picked an inside mid gives a strong indication that they were looking for that kind of player (or I guess he could just have been "best available"). There were a few inside mids that went in the 20s, including a handful that phantom drafts (even the credible ones) had projected to go later.

I'm actually a bit disappointed the club didn't grab another one in this draft as there seemed to be a few around. I don't have any particular views on the other players the club drafted, except that we do seem to have accumulated a lot of the same kind of player. I know there's a perception that the Swans lack outside run and pace (only partly warranted IMO) but you still need a strong group of players who can win the hard ball - on the ground and in traffic. We have very little in the way of developing players of this type. At least Rowbottom is one.
    I infer from his comments that Blakey's ultimate ambition (and expectation) is to play midfield.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I infer from his comments that Blakey's ultimate ambition (and expectation) is to play midfield.
    Maybe. From what I've seen of him (and based on his height and body shape), I find it hard to imagine him as a head-down, knees dirty kind of ball winner. That's not saying he's "soft" or "outside". Far from it. But if you play midfield at that height you'll generally keep your feet and get the ball on the move, as Goodes did in his prime and as Pendlebury and Bontempelli generally do. Cripps is a different kind of player at that height but his body shape is a bit different. Even when Blakey has filled out a bit I reckon he'll still be relatively lanky and long-limbed.

Ideally a midfield has a mixture of lots of different styles of contested ball winners, so it's good that Blakey projects as a different kind of midfielder (if, indeed, that's where he lands up).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Maybe. From what I've seen of him (and based on his height and body shape), I find it hard to imagine him as a head-down, knees dirty kind of ball winner. That's not saying he's "soft" or "outside". Far from it. But if you play midfield at that height you'll generally keep your feet and get the ball on the move, as Goodes did in his prime and as Pendlebury and Bontempelli generally do. Cripps is a different kind of player at that height but his body shape is a bit different. Even when Blakey has filled out a bit I reckon he'll still be relatively lanky and long-limbed.

Ideally a midfield has a mixture of lots of different styles of contested ball winners, so it's good that Blakey projects as a different kind of midfielder (if, indeed, that's where he lands up).
    Yes, fair points, although however he plays, I expect Blakey will win 'hard ball'. I note also that I suspect they plan for Heeney and (if we believe Harley) Mills to run through midfield, and that we picked up Ryan Clarke, who's a ball-winner.

Back to your original post, I'm not sure I agree that we've otherwise recruited 'the same kind of player'. Foot and Wicks seems like Ronke types, McInerney seems to be a ball distributing winger/halfback (although he reminds me of Mattner), Reynolds looks similar to McInerney (moves a bit like AJ, i reckon), and Tucker looks a Jake Lever type medium defender, who might play a Rampe role.

According to the this Oldest? Youngest? Most experienced? Club lists compared - AFL.com.au we have the equal 9th youngest list age at 23.94 years. We are actually within .1 of Saints, Dogs and Freo. The only sides significantly younger are Carlton, Gold Coast and Brisbane

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    According to the this Oldest? Youngest? Most experienced? Club lists compared - AFL.com.au we have the equal 9th youngest list age at 23.94 years. We are actually within .1 of Saints, Dogs and Freo. The only sides significantly younger are Carlton, Gold Coast and Brisbane
    Presumably that trend will continue as we shed a few more veterans over the next couple of seasons

I wondered if Tippo was included or not

Fairly strong positive correlation between average age and ladder position, just as there always has been. My take away from this is that it will probably a few years before we hit our sweet spot, or at least history would suggests so.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Veterans List
    Interesting to see that the oldest list is Hawthorn.....even after jettisoning all those veterans, followed by Collingwood. I wouldn't have thought those two would be at the top of that chart.

HS article talking to Steve Hocking on variety of footy issues, one of which is whether our live trade picks can be construed as draft tampering? It is the 2nd last heading in the article:

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

HS article headline "Midfield disaster as Swan's list Plunges" It's regarding our midfield rating with Champion Data has slipped to 13th in the competition:

Last edited by KSAS; 29th November 2018 at 09:48 PM.

Another HS propaganda piece on where each club sits in relation to the premiership clock (12 O'clock being the optimum). They view us as being on the slide and rate us at 7 O'Clock: