Page 412 of 418 FirstFirst ... 312362402408409410411412413414415416 ... LastLast
Results 4,933 to 4,944 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    +1
    I heard something similar that Longmire's game plan has become on the nose with the senior playing group. I really like & admire Longmire as he has embodied our club so well for a long time now, so I really do hope he does the make the necessary game changes that will bring out the best of the team's potential.

With that in mind, I have a feeling that 2019 will to some extent be a make or break year to John's coaching tenure beyond 2020 when his current contract is due to expire. Not withstanding the injury toll of the past 2 seasons to key players, which the club has done extraordinary well to overcome to just even make the finals. The judgement next year might well be the brand of footy played rather than the final ladder position. Taking the club to the next level for a genuine crack at a flag(s) over the next few years rather than just making the numbers in the top 8, as I'm of the opinion we have the list to do so when taking into consideration how even the comp is at the moment. The emphasis over last few years appears to be getting team buying into & executing winning game plan over pure talent alone.

I thought the club were somewhat brave in the decision to part with Hannebery & Rohan (there is a risk both could come good despite their recent performances), which might be an indication the club thinks it's time for a change and Longmire driving that.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but list management isn’t Longmires decision. I could believe that they traded Hanners and Rohan out to deny him the opportunity to select them.

Of course list management isn't the sole decision of Longmire, but as the senior coach he would have some input in the decision process which would include parting with Hannebery and Rohan (the latter did finish playing the season in the NEAFL). The final point I was trying to convey above, is the club might now think a change in playing direction is what's required and Longmire being at the helm is in the position to drive that.

What I've wondered in today's professional environment is how much of the game plan(s) is devised/owned by the senior coach? It may well vary from club to club.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but list management isn’t Longmires decision. I could believe that they traded Hanners and Rohan out to deny him the opportunity to select them.
    If thats the case, then this could blow up spectacularly. !

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    "Brave" was getting rid of Mitchel who was likely to improve as the years went on.... and has.
    Getting rid of Hanners (broken) and Rohan (outside best 22) were easy decisions in comparison.

In essence we swapped Rohan for Menzel (win), and offloaded cap space with Hanners. To be in a position where we have to offload players due to cap space is poor cap management, but for the price of $800k, he was the easy target.
    Mitchell's loss was due to cap space management issues as we didn't have the required $$$$ to retain him, rather than he wasn't required (he did have a contract offer). With the benefit of hindsight, the club would've been better off trading Hanners to Richmond rather than extending his contract on big coin and kept Mitchell. That would've been a true brave decision!

I do agree with you though the club may have learnt from that experience not to be put in that position again. Hence the cap space we've now created might be to ensure we're able to retain our emerging young guns rather than chasing another big fish (imo, Moore & Langdon weren't in that category had we been successful in enticing them).

Collingwood are now in similar position as were in 2016 in regards to cap space, with players taking pay cuts in order to accomodate Beams. Interesting to see if they are able retain their emerging talent in coming years (i.e. Stevenson), particularly if finals/premiership success doesn't come their way.
    Last edited by KSAS; 3rd December 2018 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Of course list management isn't the sole decision of Longmire, but as the senior coach he would have some input in the decision process which would include parting with Hannebery and Rohan (the latter did finish playing the season in the NEAFL). The final point I was trying to convey above, is the club might now think a change in playing direction is what's required and Longmire being at the helm is in the position to drive that.

What I've wondered in today's professional environment is how much of the game plan(s) is devised/owned by the senior coach? It may well vary from club to club.
    My understanding is that the turnaround in gameplan at both Collingwood and Richmond did not come from the senior coach.

That’s one reason why I’m disappointed in the lack of change in assistant coaches this off-season.

There was a huge turnover last year, but no significant change in GP as a result. I can’t see a Blake Caracella in our ranks. And Horse seems to have surrounded himself with very inexperienced or ex-Swans as coaches.

Don’t some clubs have a “ball movement” coach?

Veterans List
    Second year at the club for some of the coaches, reckon they'll be stronger in having input into the game plan. The early exit will put pressure on to develop something new.

Veteran Site Admin
    From Marcellin seconds to the big time: Swan's unusual journey - AFL.com.au

Here's a somewhat more expansive article about McInerney and the journey he's travelled to make it onto the Swans' list.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Here's a somewhat more expansive article about McInerney and the journey he's travelled to make it onto the Swans' list.
    What a great story. It's refreshing to get some actual news, and not read the same old tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Reminds me of the Nick Farr-Jones story. Couldn't get a game in Newington's First XV, went on to captain the Wallabies to a World Cup victory.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Reminds me of the Nick Farr-Jones story. Couldn't get a game in Newington's First XV, went on to captain the Wallabies to a World Cup victory.
    I guess sometimes the reason is because young men (probably moreso than young women) develop physically at such different rates. So a player who develops later than most may suddenly find their abilities, relative to peers, accelerate in their late teens or even early twenties.

But I was also interested reading this story about McInerney how the guy who headed up the football programme didn't even know McInerney existed, so large was the programme he was overseeing. It suggests that something broke down a little in the communication channels between the coaching team, but I guess if you've got a quietly spoken young man (which McInerney comes across as) who doesn't have pushy parents, there's always a chance they'll slip between the gaps.

Outliers and Youth Soccer Development - SoccerNation

“And we all know once a kid is on the top team, he or she is considered to be better than anyone on the second team, even at future tryouts. Players on the top team one year, more often than not make the top team the following year.

Think about that next time you are watching 125 kids try out. Consider it when you are debating with other coaches about which players to select for the top team, or maybe the second team”

——

Gets more interesting a couple paragraphs in

In part.....Explains someone like Justin being taken at pick 44..........an outlier ? Maybe

Need to do the exercise for 24 hours, 7 days and 60 weeks (not 6) to clock up the 10,000 hours - or do it 8 hours for 7 days for 3 and a half years etc etc.

I suspect anyone drafted would ass that test