Page 413 of 414 FirstFirst ... 313363403409410411412413414 LastLast
Results 4,945 to 4,956 of 4964

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Yep

I also suspect that 10,000hrs is only part of the equation to succeed

Another key layer is how people practice

In soccer I have always trained juniors, youth an adults to have equal skill progressions using both feet

In AFL until more recently academies and local level don’t do equal training on both hands and both feet

This is such a mistake

Defending against someone who can use both feet and both hands fairly equal is a nightmare

Defending against a generally one footed player is fairly easy

Case in point Heeney launching that 60m left footed kick on the run down the line with 30 seconds to go last qtr vs Bulldogs - Florent then scores - we win

Not many other right footed kickers in the swans team could have nailed that difficult kick but Heeney obviously out a lot of time into using both feet in “practice”

My daughter when 14yrs of age got picked in an under18 rep team purely because she uses both feet equally. The coach came up and said “we have no left footers. I need one player for left wing and although you are very young I noticed u use both feet equally”

Her world changed from this point onwards due to her less common ability and she rocketed into playing reps with older kids

Right practice as well as the amount of hours are so important

Steele Sidebottom has been quoted saying that his dad used to yell out the back window at their house “only use ur left foot or I’ll cut ur right leg off”

Steele is fantastic at using both feet which gives him so much time to transition play and take the best option

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Outliers and Youth Soccer Development - SoccerNation

“And we all know once a kid is on the top team, he or she is considered to be better than anyone on the second team, even at future tryouts. Players on the top team one year, more often than not make the top team the following year.

Think about that next time you are watching 125 kids try out. Consider it when you are debating with other coaches about which players to select for the top team, or maybe the second team”
    You see this all the time. Kids develop are different rates, but by about 15 or 16 are starting to even out.
    Putting fast track programs in too early means you miss out on a lot of late developing talent.

From what Ive seen in junior soccer in Sydney at least, a lot of the top team kids are populated by kids with soccer-aligned-ethnicity parents who insist on little Jose being in the top grade. Probably because they know how the system works.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Very interesting. This article tells a great truth about junior development in all sports. I have seen exactly the same principle at play in junior hockey (field) development that I am involved with through my kids. There's some gems that come from a long way back when they do finally get the coaching and opportunity to play with like-skilled players.

That is probably where our recruiting team excels and anecdotally out-performs some of the others. Instead of looking at who everyone else has always said are the best players, we identify the raw ingredients that can be developed through intensive work in our proven system.

I recall the great Ric Charlesworth saying when he took over the Hockeyroos and introduced the AIS hockey development program 25 or so years ago. He said (and I paraphrase) "Give me elite teenage athletes. I can teach them the rest."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    That is probably where our recruiting team excels and anecdotally out-performs some of the others. Instead of looking at who everyone else has always said are the best players, we identify the raw ingredients that can be developed through intensive work in our proven system.
    I doubt that's different to any club. All the recruiters are trying to project forward and work out which kids could be stars in a few years time, rather than entirely focussing on what they've already demonstrated. And so that's why a fair few physically underdeveloped "project players" get taken quite early in the draft, ahead of more consistently performer teenagers.

But it also helps to explain why someone like Luke Parker, who'd won his club's B&F at pretty much every underage level, was still sitting in his draft when number 40 rocked around. He'd shown recruiters what he could do but they weren't convinced he had much scope for improvement. Or they were simply more seduced by what they saw as higher ceilings for other players.

Rory Sloane is another who I've heard those-in-the-know say showed at junior level exactly what he has delivered at senior level, yet he also slipped well back in his draft year. I have a feeling James Worpel will prove to be another.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Rory Sloane is another who I've heard those-in-the-know say showed at junior level exactly what he has delivered at senior level, yet he also slipped well back in his draft year. I have a feeling James Worpel will prove to be another.
    James Worpel?

Absolutely butchers the ball, he's a slight upgrade on the recently departed Will Langford. I'd be astounded if he got anywhere near the level of Parker or Sloane

He's a

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    James Worpel?

Absolutely butchers the ball, he's a slight upgrade on the recently departed Will Langford. I'd be astounded if he got anywhere near the level of Parker or Sloane

He's a
    Most players butcher the ball occasionally. Those who play inside the contests tend to butcher it more than most. Even some of the very best (Dangerfield, Fyfe, for example) regularly butcher the ball. (Dustin Martin and Gary Ablett, particularly in his prime, are two examples of players less prone to doing so).

Certainly Luke Parker is prone to butchering the ball at times. So is Rory Sloane. Worpel had a poor couple of games in the finals but they were something like his 9th and 10th games at senior level. Many more experienced players have let themselves down under the intense pressure of finals football.

You may be right about Worpel, long term. Or not. We'll have to wait and see. He showed enough contested ball-winning ability in his early games to suggest to me he is another who could very well belie his draft position.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Very interesting. This article tells a great truth about junior development in all sports. I have seen exactly the same principle at play in junior hockey (field) development that I am involved with through my kids. There's some gems that come from a long way back when they do finally get the coaching and opportunity to play with like-skilled players.

The impression I get with the swans is we are very good at recruiting players already on AFL lists, and not so good at getting players via the draft.
    So, not sure if we are using this knowledge of junior development to our benefit yet.

Senior Player
    Our thoughts are on Ireland as well......Kinnear went over recently to the Irish Combine.

Swans, Roos and Dons head to Ireland on scouting mission - AFL.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The impression I get with the swans is we are very good at recruiting players already on AFL lists, and not so good at getting players via the draft.
    So, not sure if we are using this knowledge of junior development to our benefit yet.
    We (the Swans) might not use high picks that well, but I reckon we do just fine with the mid & late ones

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Our thoughts are on Ireland as well......Kinnear went over recently to the Irish Combine.

Swans, Roos and Dons head to Ireland on scouting mission - AFL.com.au
    After re watching COR's games this year, in my mind he should be starting 22 so we need at least one more Irishman to be developing, why not take a couple!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    After re watching COR's games this year, in my mind he should be starting 22 so we need at least one more Irishman to be developing, why not take a couple!
    Tadgh aside we haven't really fared well with our Irish recruits compared to other clubs, I assumed we'd just shelved the idea.

Hopefully COR makes some further progress in 2019

I had a look at AFL Draft central phantom draft and they had:

St Kilda taking Tucker at 47 and Foot at 58
    Richmond getting Reynolds at 59
    Sydney getting Blakey at 6
    Essendon getting Rowbottom at 37

Great to know that this draft done by a consortium really rated Tucker and Reynolds and that Blakey was a steal. Rowbottom they would have not getting through to our next pick if we had not dealt with West Coast. Only player missing is McInerney but they only did four rounds and no rookie draft.

2018 AFL Draft Central Phantom Draft - AFL Draft Central