Page 83 of 418 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Rumours re: the Giants having a salary cap squeeze and potentially open to trading Will Setterfield, former #5 draft pick inside midfielder.

Thoughts?
    Sounds like bulltish to me, he's already contracted for another season and would be on a fairly minimal salary

I'm sure the Victorian clubs are in his ear about returning home, but the Giants would have no reason to trade him

Veterans List
    I think our club squarely have their sites on getting Blakey for the best value possible in the draft. It appears the lauded depth of this draft is on the money and clubs will be pretty divided on who the best top 10 are. More than ever clubs will be in a position to get a quality pick/s to satisfy their needs. Will North or Brisbane be at all interested in bidding for him to force our hand.

Does anyone here know how many points we need and where, when it comes to our first pick, where the ideal spot in the draft he will be for it to be in our favour. Sure it would be nice if he was still not bid on by our first pick but that seems unrealistic to me. Which club will be the one that forces our hand?

Interesting piece by Nick Bowen contrasting the Hawks rebuild with the Saints - one via trade the other via the draft. What I take from it is that people vastly overestimate the value of picks compared to players. The pick 14 we got for Mitchell has the potential to be a good player, but unlikely to be a Brownlow medallist. Ditto the picks Saints received indirectly as part of the Jaeger Omeara trade - 7 will probably never make it to the same level. I get where Paul Roos is coming from. A player is a known quantity, a draftee is not. Given the likelihood of failure, I reckon players should be swapped for 2 picks not one.

COMMENT: How to rebuild a list: Hawks v Saints - AFL.com.au

What I take from it is that people vastly overestimate the value of picks compared to players.
    1000% agree
    Even the sure things like Mcgrath Rayner etc etc are 3 yrs away from contending a F&B let alone a Brownlow

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Yes please, wouldn't have to move house!
    And no "go home" factor being an Albury boy. Only problem is that he might take a year or two to develop.

Interesting piece by Nick Bowen contrasting the Hawks rebuild with the Saints - one via trade the other via the draft. What I take from it is that people vastly overestimate the value of picks compared to players. The pick 14 we got for Mitchell has the potential to be a good player, but unlikely to be a Brownlow medallist. Ditto the picks Saints received indirectly as part of the Jaeger Omeara trade - 7 will probably never make it to the same level. I get where Paul Roos is coming from. A player is a known quantity, a draftee is not. Given the likelihood of failure, I reckon players should be swapped for 2 picks not one.

COMMENT: How to rebuild a list: Hawks v Saints - AFL.com.au
    Swap head coaches and probably swap ladder positions as well.

Richmond have often gotten things wrong in both the draft and trading, but a good 3 drafts has formed the core of the current premiership team. So if you get it right, it can bring success. I'm hoping we're on a similar path.

2006: Riewoldt and Edwards
    2007: Cotchin and Rance
    2009: Martin, Asbury and Grimes
    Last edited by Ludwig; 17th August 2018 at 08:12 PM.

Two gun NSW boys that are very gettable - Todd Marshall and Will Setterfield - as well as Nick Blakey.
    Not sure how to get all 3 but would be a coup.
    Then there is Darcy Moore...
    Last edited by Muttley; 19th August 2018 at 07:07 PM.

I reckon Blakey won’t be in top 15

I don’t see the certainty at all and there are a stack of good players in this draft at a lower risk / higher probability

Asa very very very lean 194cm like jack watts it is very difficult to have certainty re his path of development

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
    Two gun NSW boys that are very gettable - Todd Marshall and Will Setterfield - as well as Nick Blakey.
    ... who is worth a small sack of potatoes and an unripe turnip (and they’d better include several rolls of rigid sports tape and a tube of Voltaren gel in the trade to help keep his body from falling apart in the first 3 rounds)

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    ... who is worth a small sack of potatoes and an unripe turnip (and they’d better include several rolls of rigid sports tape and a tube of Voltaren gel in the trade to help keep his body from falling apart in the first 3 rounds)
    Umm, do Collingwood give us the potatoes, or do we have to give them the potatoes??

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
    I'm confused by this post. Are you suggesting we go after TM and WS as trades? Why do we need Marshall?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Umm, do Collingwood give us the potatoes, or do we have to give them the potatoes??
    We give them the potatoes and the turnip. They give us Moore, tape & gel

I’ve looked through my pantry and I’ll chip in the spuds to get the deal done