Page 8 of 418 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

The 5 Swans players rated elite by Champion data have had their names published: Champion Data ranks your club�s list for 2018. Tom Papley is one of them! Along with Buddy, Hanners, Ramps and JPK. That is a stunning result for a young guy who has only played 2 years of AFL directly after being recruited as a rookie. What a recruiting master stroke! Thanks again, Kin and co.

Brodie Smith (free agent this year) is another elite-rated player. I don't know much about him would we be interested or do we have ample depth in that position? 5 clubs have only one elite rated player (and North Melbourne's is Todd Goldstein! And Bulldogs' is JJ ) The Swans, equal with Adelaide, Port and West Coast have the most elite rated players (6), although Adelaide had 7 until Jake Lever left. Apart from Papley, there are a number of suprising names rated elite (or perhaps that's just because I don't watch enough AFL not featuring the Swans) e.g. Aaron Hall, Tom Lynch (Adelaide), Ben McEvoy, Jack Crisp.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Nice pick up, wedge. That is indeed a big loss: Two new additions to recruiting team - carltonfc.com.au.

Best wishes to Michael, it seems to be a promotion despite the fact he will be subordinate to SOS. I claim no direct knowledge but, given the success of our recruitment over Michael's tenure, you'd have to say he's done a good job for us.
    Well, given how SOS raided surplus young GWS talent, hopefully Agresta can keep his now 'Blue' hands off our young guys.......no doubt SOS will be in his ear for some potential pick-up's. They can bugger off!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Well, given how SOS raided surplus young GWS talent, hopefully Agresta can keep his now 'Blue' hands off our young guys.......no doubt SOS will be in his ear for some potential pick-up's. They can bugger off!
    Another valid point and scary thought. We have a lot of depth at the moment. Will be hard to keep all the ones that aren't playing firsts. Still we should have our pick of which ones we want. Was great that we signed up Dawson for two more years last year. Indeed, almost all the best fringe talent is signed up beyond this year already e.g. Melican, COR, Cameron, Florent. Possible targets include: Towers, Newman, Aliir, Marsh, Robinson, maybe Ronke/Fox/Foote. Provided we get a decent trade, we could afford for these players to leave. More importantly, I think we'll re-sign those players that we most want to keep before Carlton (or anyone else) circles too close.

Veteran Site Admin
    Has Carlton actually found anything of value by dredging through the Giants' surplus pool? Plowman is a decent, AFL standard player (though not worth the pick GWS originally used for him) but I am really struggling to think of anyone else they've taken from the Giants who is yet an established player in the Carlton senior team.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Has Carlton actually found anything of value by dredging through the Giants' surplus pool? Plowman is a decent, AFL standard player (though not worth the pick GWS originally used for him) but I am really struggling to think of anyone else they've taken from the Giants who is yet an established player in the Carlton senior team.
    I'd welcome Marchbank to our list and probably Kennedy and Pickett too.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'd welcome Marchbank to our list and probably Kennedy and Pickett too.
    I knew there'd be one I forgot - Marchbank. Agree he is a quality player. But although he's ahead of Melican and Aliir, if he were in our squad he'd be taking the 3rd defender role that these two are currently fighting it out for, and I don't think we're losing much by not having him.

Kennedy could become a first 22 player for the Blues but he's got to actually do if first, and Pickett still has to prove it too. I don't think either would be best 22 for the Swans, even if they replaced players like Foote and Rose on our list (players of similar age / experience and non-best 22 status).

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Reckon the jury is out on SOS as a recruiter.
    GWS accumulated their list by sheer weight of numbers, I know at one stage they could have fielded a full team of top 10 picks if you include the no brainer dozen 17yo's they were handed.

There were a significant number of high draft picks that failed to live up to their draft position, more I reckon than an average fail rate of same draft positions.

As for his work at Carlton, here's the ones I can think of that came from GWS and whilst I don't have the deals at hand, I know Carlton handed over very good picks to get some of these which perpetuated the draft largesse that GWS enjoyed up to the 2016 ND. I doubt the ones that do make it with Carlton would be worth what they gave GWS in high picks. In 2017 Carlton had 17 out of 40 players who had come via another club ....

Marchbank is a win
    Kennedy may be a win
    Plowman is just an average player, wouldn't get a game with us IMO
    Jarrod Pickett may make the grade or will fade away, shows glimpses
    The rest are either already gone or won't be best 22
    Whiley
    Lamb
    Sumner
    Phillips
    Jaksch
    Palmer
    Last edited by 707; 2nd February 2018 at 05:21 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Reckon the jury is out on SOS as a recruiter.
    GWS accumulated their list by sheer weight of numbers, I know at one stage they could have fielded a full team of top 10 picks if you include the no brainer dozen 17yo's they were handed.

There were a significant number of high draft picks that failed to live up to their draft position, more I reckon than an average fail rate of same draft positions.

As for his work at Carlton, here's the ones I can think of that came from GWS and whilst I don't have the deals at hand, I know Carlton handed over very good picks to get some of these which perpetuated the draft largesse that GWS enjoyed up to the 2016 ND. I doubt the ones that do make it with Carlton would be worth what they gave GWS in high picks. In 2017 Carlton had 17 out of 40 players who had come via another club ....

Marchbank is a win
    Kennedy may be a win
    Plowman is just an average player, wouldn't get a game with us IMO
    Jarrod Pickett may make the grade or will fade away, shows glimpses
    The rest are either already gone or won't be best 22
    Whiley
    Lamb
    Sumner
    Phillips
    Jaksch
    Palmer
    Fair call. Pretty hard to stuff up GWS job.

Veterans List
    As S.S. Bleeder alluded to in the 'Coaching and Plan B' thread, our list management has changed with an addition to the team. Swans snap up Dogs' contracted recruiting boss - AFL.com.au Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    As S.S. Bleeder alluded to in the 'Coaching and Plan B' thread, our list management has changed with an addition to the team. Swans snap up Dogs' contracted recruiting boss - AFL.com.au Opinions?
    I wouldn�t know him if I sat next to him on a plane. However, I was reading some opinion on the Bulldogs page of BF and they are very upset. He is rated very highly by them and are very sad (some furious) to see him go.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I wouldn�t know him if I sat next to him on a plane. However, I was reading some opinion on the Bulldogs page of BF and they are very upset. He is rated very highly by them and are very sad (some furious) to see him go.
    Well, that's a great start then! Always nice to upset Doggies fans.

Dalrymple is another excellent addition in an off season filled with some significant improvements to our non-playing staff.

For those who want to get to know Simon a bit better you can listen to his interview on Road to the Draft here: Audioboom / Road to the 2017 Draft - Ep. 3: Simon Dalrymple