Page 290 of 418 FirstFirst ... 190240280286287288289290291292293294300340390 ... LastLast
Results 3,469 to 3,480 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    With the trade week over, I have been thinking about a possible best 22 as we know it.
    B: Smith Melican Rampe
    HB: Mills Aliir Lloyd
    C: Jones Parker Florent
    HF: Heeney Franklin Hayward
    F: Papley Sinclair Reid
    Foll: Naismith Hewett Kennedy
    Int: Cunningham Ronke McVeigh Clarke
    Emerg: McCartain, Dawson, Stoddart, Ling, Cameron, O'Riordan, Jack, Grundy, Robinson, Fox
    I think when you do this exercise, it shows that we are at least one star midfielder short if not two. For the last 2 seasons, we have been effectively playing that way with a badly out of form Hanners and Jack having to be carried by Parker and Kennedy (both just looked knackered at times during 2018). We really need guys like Jones and Florent to step up, with others like Heeney, Mills, Hayward, Papley and Ronke to improve on their ability to push into the midfield as support. If they don't, and we don't manage to nab any external midfield talent between now and 2019, I fear we will get well and truly left behind next season.
    While i agree we could do with another A grade mid....Same could be said of most sides....You could of said it of the 2016 Dogs. And also the 2017 Tigers(unheralded going into the season)..

Not to mention the 2005 and 2012 Swans...Even the Gaffless , Nic less Eagles this year.

To contend for a flag you need luck (particularly with injuries) , a good list, a really good complementary game plan, and a squad that totally buy into that game plan.

We mightn't have the best list, but we have a good list...IMO, it's all those other factors that will decide our fate next season.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Still need to bring in someone this trade period to be a success
    However Mills Jones Heeney Floreant Hayward Dawson should all get more midfield minutes

Just about any other team would have had them regular mids by now its only horse that makes players do a 4 yr apprenticeship

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Woah! Pulling the trigger a little early there RD - not over until next Wednesday. Plenty of action to come, including elusive big fish coming our way
    And the radio keeps saying that Hogan is on our radar. Maybe we know more next week, though I cannot see how we can afford him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Woah! Pulling the trigger a little early there RD - not over until next Wednesday. Plenty of action to come, including elusive big fish coming our way
    Yep, got ahead of the schedule! However, I still think we need either an A grade mid fielder to develop in 2019 or for us to acquire one. Imagine what we could do with quick ball out of the centre to a rampaging Buddy one on one with the recent rule changes..........

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Actually, I think they'd be having a bit of a giggle at some of the 'experts' on here and the amount of 'outrage' on display .....or did you actually mean 'tears' of laughter?
    I meant (sarcastically) that they would all be very sad about the forum posters being unhappy
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The swans (Harley) would not want a repeat of the Mitchell experience with Hanners.

To lose one gun in a bad trade is a mistake, to lose two is incompetence.
    1. Hanners is no longer a gun, and likely will not be again.
    2. No real opposition from supporter to keep him because they know 1. above
    3. Cannot compare 2018 Hanners to 2018 Mitchell
    4. People were not desperately crying for Mitchell to stay. A few didn't want him to leave, but there was no real passion in that.
    5. It's only a mistake f we have a nett loss at the end of trading and drafting.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

I don’t subscribe to DT but anyone who does may find this locked article re Ryan Clarke of interest

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

I don’t subscribe to DT ...
    Way too sensible AG :-)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    And the radio keeps saying that Hogan is on our radar. Maybe we know more next week, though I cannot see how we can afford him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've heard that too. Sounds ridiculous. Won't happen.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That is even more ludicrous. I know Scully missed most of 2018 with injury but he's still a gun. The Giants must have major problems with their salary cap if they are willing to offload a player with years left, who isn't get paid a huge amount, and who is still contracted, for such a meagre trade return. And while they still have a pretty strong midfield - Kelly, Coniglio, Ward, maybe Deledio (but not for long) and Taranto, Hopper and Bonar young players who look great - their depth will be severely tested next year. And what happens if Kelly then decides he wants to leave at the end of 2019?

They'll get a good pick back for Shiel (at least the Bombers pick 8) but Setterfield has now gone, Scully looks like going, and their ruck stocks look pretty ordinary too.
    The gist of what Matthews from GWS said was losing the retention bonus of $50K for 40 players meant they have to cut their
    salary bill by $2M. So basically Shiel ($800K say), Lobb ($600K allegedly), Scully ($500K) have to go. Lobb is overrated in my
    opinion, but the other two are AA level players. It is kinda mind boggling just how short sighted all those who pushed so
    hard for the northern clubs to lose the retention allowance/COLA are. How does anyone with even a quarter of a brain not
    understand that all the additional money that has come into footy over the last thirty years is a result of it not being a bankrupt
    suburban comp in Melbourne anymore. Do they think that Coke or Toyota (or even the betting companies) would pony up
    tens of millions of dollars every year if all the games were still being played at 2:10PM every Saturday at suburban grounds in
    Melbourne? Have they forgotten that the VFL even by their own admission was basically insolvent in the mid-80s? The AFL
    distribution of between $12M & $25M to each of the clubs that keeps them all afloat, where does this money come from?
    It’s not from selling a few extra scarves each week down at Vic Markets.

FYI I didn’t realise trades can still happen up to nov16th ???

“The AFL trade period begins on Monday October 8 at 10am and ends on Wednesday October 17 at 8:30pm (for moves involving players; trades involving picks can be made until Friday November 16).”

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    1. Hanners is no longer a gun, and likely will not be again.
    2. No real opposition from supporter to keep him because they know 1. above
    3. Cannot compare 2018 Hanners to 2018 Mitchell
    4. People were not desperately crying for Mitchell to stay. A few didn't want him to leave, but there was no real passion in that.
    5. It's only a mistake f we have a nett loss at the end of trading and drafting.
    If hanners gets back to his AA form, it will be worse than the Mitchell trade.