Page 52 of 418 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We will never be able to match sun's or Carlton's offer to McVeigh, so we should concentrate his cap space on allir
    I thought Macca was contracted for next year at the Swans ... as a coach. I don't reckon he'll go anywhere. We can put Tippo's money toward AA, Lloooyyyyydddddd and others.

McVeigh interviewed pre the Suns match on SEN. Summary of what he said:

- Grundy will probably be back playing Seniors next week. Rested last week & rewarding players who played well last week, as there was no matchup/spot for him this week. Will play important role for rest of season as he's still highly valued.

- (McVeigh) Has not made up his mind whether he'll play on next year, will wait to see how rest of this year pans out & player contracts fall (who's in & out). At this stage he does feel he can continue playing at a high level (he's hoping for a R20 return against the Pies).

- Was non committal about doing a Luke Hodge role elsewhere next year as it was a given by the commentators he will receive such offers. He confirmed there is a coaching role for him at the Swans when his playing days are over, leading to speculation he could continue his playing career elsewhere before coming back to take up a coaching role at the Swans.

- Aliir's lengthy spell out of the Seniors was raised. McVeigh said Aliir had breakout year in 2016, but his form dropped off in 2017 & beginning of this year in relation to his defence work. Has worked hard to regain the level of what is required, as he is a player they love have playing every week.
    Last edited by KSAS; 21st July 2018 at 04:08 PM.

Also interesting hearing Daisy Pearce speaking pre game on SEN today about player development. She is not a believer that you can judge a player in the junior leagues whether they'll make it in the AFL. No matter where players are picked up in the draft, she said their club development is foremost whether they will be successful.

She cited the Swans who today are fielding a team compromising of 11 rookie listed players as the best in the business. Marvelled how they've been playing finals for God so many years with a couple of flags to boot. She queried if Ronke & McCartin were at the Saints or Carlton whether they would've burst onto the scene like they've done. She also queried if Jack Billings was at the Swans if he would playing to his full potential by now. It raised question why clubs like Carlton & St.Kilda can't develop players just well as the Swans.
    Last edited by KSAS; 21st July 2018 at 03:40 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    McVeigh interviewed pre the Suns match on SEN. Summary of what he said:

- Grundy will probably be back playing Seniors next week. Rested last week & rewarding players who played well last week, as there was no matchup/spot for him this week. Will play important role for rest of season as he's still highly valued.

- (McVeigh) Has not made up his mind whether he'll play on next year, will wait to see how rest of this year pans out & player contracts fall (who's in & out). At this stage he does feel he can continue playing at a high level (he's hoping for a R20 return against the Pies).

- Was non committal about doing a Luke Hodge role elsewhere next year as it was a given by the commentators he will receive such offers. He confirmed there is a coaching role for him at the Swans when his playing days are over, leading to speculation he could continue his playing career elsewhere before coming back to take up a coaching role at the Swans.

- Aliir's lengthy spell out of the Seniors was raised. McVeigh said Aliir had breakout year in 2016, but his form dropped off in 2017 & beginning of this year in relation to his defence work. Has worked hard to regain the level of what is required, as he is a player they love have playing every week.
    Good one. Thanks for this.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Hmmm...just reported Geelong may be sniffing around Sam Naismith.. wonder what we could get
    sprite

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Hmmm...just reported Geelong may be sniffing around Sam Naismith.. wonder what we could get
    They've already got three ineffective rucks, why would they chase a bloke coming off an ACL. If someone needs a ruck, Darcy at Freo (Geelong Falcon) or Preuss at Norf.

Mathew Lloyd made a comment on TV last night that he thought the golden era of the Swans is over. It seems pretty premature to say that given one abysmal loss! There are definitely a number of players who won’t be there next season due to a combination of delisting, retirements and players asking to be traded. Our big weakness this year is a lack of midfield ball winners this year meaning that our inside 50 count is abysmal. Our clearance and centre square numbers are also below acceptable. Our midfield has gone from elite in 2016 to average to poor. To me rectifying this area must be a priority this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should go after a gun midfielder in the trade/ free agency period. That Mitchel bloke at hawthorn goes alright

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Mathew Lloyd made a comment on TV last night that he thought the golden era of the Swans is over. It seems pretty premature to say that given one abysmal loss! There are definitely a number of players who won’t be there next season due to a combination of delisting, retirements and players asking to be traded. Our big weakness this year is a lack of midfield ball winners this year meaning that our inside 50 count is abysmal. Our clearance and centre square numbers are also below acceptable. Our midfield has gone from elite in 2016 to average to poor. To me rectifying this area must be a priority this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ironic that 2 years ago we had a one dimensional midfield with too many slow inside mids. Now we’ve loaded up on fast, ball carrying types but struggle to win the ball.

A correction is definitely required in the offseason.

Is this a skill that can be taught? I’m sure other clubs have made it a focus i.e. keep same personnel but make them better contested ball winners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We should go after a gun midfielder in the trade/ free agency period. That Mitchel bloke at hawthorn goes alright
    If only we’d kept him rather than trading in Tippett!?!

Warming the Bench
    What about Anthony Miles from Richmond? Seems to go in and out of their team, definitely gets a lot of the ball. Although I'm not sure of his contract situation.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby_bolts View Post
    What about Anthony Miles from Richmond? Seems to go in and out of their team, definitely gets a lot of the ball. Although I'm not sure of his contract situation.
    He’d be handy and available. But if we let Mitchell go to replace him with Miles that seems like appalling list management.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Ironic that 2 years ago we had a one dimensional midfield with too many slow inside mids. Now we’ve loaded up on fast, ball carrying types but struggle to win the ball.

A correction is definitely required in the offseason.

Is this a skill that can be taught? I’m sure other clubs have made it a focus i.e. keep same personnel but make them better contested ball winners.
    Except that David King's insightful comment on the ailments afflicting the team is still that we are too slow and need to take more risks. He comments on how successful the club has been in recycling other clubs' discards (though I wonder if he has checked our list in the last few years to see how few recycled players we now have - I suspect we have the lowest number of any club, probably by some margin). He also notes our success with rookie drafted players. But his recommendations seem to amount to "get some better players", which doesn't acknowledge that the club - like every other club - works in a system constrained by the draft.

Seems like every commentator has an opinion on what Longmire needs to do but none takes into account the system in which clubs operate, nor acknowledges the regeneration of the list and senior team that has been happening over the last few years but that will take time (and has been thrown out of kilter somewhat by injuries to some pretty key players).

Almost every team has had issues with injuries this year. Our experience hasn't been great but other clubs have had it as bad or worse. But several of those clubs - notably West Coast and GWS - looked completely inept while they were lacking a handful of important players. West Coast got Kennedy, Darling and le Cras back and suddenly they again resembled the team that won ten games in a row. GWS got a handful of important players back (especially Kelly - and now in form too - and most recently Greene) and they now look like a real threat after playing awful football for a period mid-season.