Page 82 of 418 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Lots of news at the Hun today:

Category: | Herald Sun

“HEATH Grundy will return to football from a break for mental health issues this weekend and is keen to play on into 2019...”

“Grundy’s manager Phil Mullen said today he and Jarrad McVeigh remained keen to play on next year, with Alex Johnson’s latest cruel injury setback potentially helping Grundy’s cause.”

“The Swans’ remain confident of re-signing brilliant halfback Jake Lloyd, with their position strengthened by Gold Coast’s waning interest in a player who finished second in last year’s Swans best-and-fairest award.”

“Gold Coast has persistently been linked to Lloyd, but the Suns told Sydney recruiting and list boss Kinnear Beatson recently they had not offered Lloyd a contract and were unlikely to do so.”

“They are keen to secure established players but felt it was unlikely Lloyd would move, with Sydney football boss Tom Harley telling the Herald Sun recently the club was confident it would resign the 24-year-old.”
    Great news on both fronts.

Good news. All we need now is for the Saints to maintain their interest in Hanners and we'll pick up two guns in the draft to ensure our evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    U18: Swans set for 'Buddy 2.0' - AFL.com.au

Here's a short video interview with Blakey, talking about his decision to pick the Swans over the two father son options. It's a bit light on for playing snippets of young Blakey - there are more included of Blakey senior playing (and even some Buddy thrown in for good measure).
    I saw that, what a well rounded person . Said his Dad wasn’t too bad .
    Lot to like that’s for sure.

Veterans List
    Gold Coast not interested in Lloyd is a big help because they were a club offering well overs just to get experience through the door. Saints, North and Carlton are cashed up clubs that could put bigger offers Lloyds way but I'd now be confident he re-signs.

Macca should definitely go round again next year and probably Grundy as well, neither would be any more than average contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    The whole "Swans are hopeless with their first round picks" thing is a bit of a myth. We had one bad patch about 10 years ago, and have been at least ok before and after that. Here's our draft history for the last 11 years. Of all those players, only the ones you named are not still on an AFL list. You can argue Jetta, Rohan, Lamb & Towers are not "best-22" players, but they are not terrible (Jetta was instrumental in our 2012 flag). Also, a couple of those players like Towers & Lamb were right at the end of the first round. There's not much difference between first & second round at that point.

It's always a bit of a lottery and I don't think we've done too badly.

2017- pick 14 - Mathew Ling - too early to tell
    2016 - pick 11 - Oliver Florent - good
    2016 - pick 21 - Will Hayward - ok so far
    2015 - pick 3 - Callum Mills - good
    2014 - pick "18" - Isaac Heeney - good
    2013 - pick 15 - Zak Jones - ok so far
    2012 - pick 22 - Dean Towers - so-so
    2011 - pick 21 - Tom Mitchell - good
    2010 - pick 20 - Jed Lamb - not so great
    2009 - pick 6 - Gary Rohan - so-so
    2009 - pick 14 - Lewis Jetta - so-so
    2008 - pick 12 - Lewis Johnstone - not so great
    2007 - pick 11 - Patrick Veszpremi - not so great
    2007 - pick 15 - Daniel O'Keefe - not so great
    You are being very generous. Most haven't lived up to their pick status. Even mills at 3, isn't a pick 3 player yet.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Liam Pickering said on SEN that St Kilda couldn't expect to get Hanners without offering their first pick as Hanners is contracted and St Kilda has absolutely zilch bargaining power. He also queried why Hannebery would leave to basically get the same money as he does now.
    I wouldn't trust a single word Pickering says about trades.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

All st Kilda trade talk is to divert attention from their abismal season.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    The whole "Swans are hopeless with their first round picks" thing is a bit of a myth. We had one bad patch about 10 years ago, and have been at least ok before and after that. Here's our draft history for the last 11 years. Of all those players, only the ones you named are not still on an AFL list. You can argue Jetta, Rohan, Lamb & Towers are not "best-22" players, but they are not terrible (Jetta was instrumental in our 2012 flag). Also, a couple of those players like Towers & Lamb were right at the end of the first round. There's not much difference between first & second round at that point.

It's always a bit of a lottery and I don't think we've done too badly.

2017- pick 14 - Mathew Ling - too early to tell
    2016 - pick 11 - Oliver Florent - good
    2016 - pick 21 - Will Hayward - ok so far
    2015 - pick 3 - Callum Mills - good
    2014 - pick "18" - Isaac Heeney - good
    2013 - pick 15 - Zak Jones - ok so far
    2012 - pick 22 - Dean Towers - so-so
    2011 - pick 21 - Tom Mitchell - good
    2010 - pick 20 - Jed Lamb - not so great
    2009 - pick 6 - Gary Rohan - so-so
    2009 - pick 14 - Lewis Jetta - so-so
    2008 - pick 12 - Lewis Johnstone - not so great
    2007 - pick 11 - Patrick Veszpremi - not so great
    2007 - pick 15 - Daniel O'Keefe - not so great
    I'd think if you did this same exercise with most other clubs the list wouldn't be much different. Some would in fact be far worse.
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge.maverick View Post
    I'd think if you did this same exercise with most other clubs the list wouldn't be much different. Some would in fact be far worse.
    Carlton?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Rumours re: the Giants having a salary cap squeeze and potentially open to trading Will Setterfield, former #5 draft pick inside midfielder.

Thoughts?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Rumours re: the Giants having a salary cap squeeze and potentially open to trading Will Setterfield, former #5 draft pick inside midfielder.

Thoughts?
    Yes please, wouldn't have to move house!

Hawthorn might be outliers with first round picks

Roughy
    Buddy
    Hodge etc

All brilliant first round picks

For me given the difficulty in nailing it with a first round pick I would rather take two picks

Pick 5 vs pick 10 and 16

I’d take pick 10 and 16 and u might get two guns or one or none