Page 153 of 418 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,825 to 1,836 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    100%. Half of them are confusing , he’s a deadset nob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Half? You're being very generous.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    My feeling is he is spot on. I think moving hannebery on is part is part of the solution.
    Why should the move of Hannebery - whether instigated by him or the club - signal broader player unrest?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Does Damien Barrett even understand what the term "Sliding Door" means?? He doesn't seem to use it in the right context.
    Dunno, I haven't opened that particular door for months.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Why should the move of Hannebery - whether instigated by him or the club - signal broader player unrest?
    Organisational culture is a fickle thing and emotional contagion from just a few negative or destabilising individuals undermines group cohesive. It's all the worse when the person doing it is in a position of 'leadership'

I saw two things in a game (was it vs Hawthorn?) a while back which I commented on at the time. Both were a bit off. Hannebery could have kicked it to Alir who was wide open but didn't. Shortly afterwards I saw Alir remonstrating with him. This was on the field. Then when benched shortly afterwards, Hannebery had a full on argy bargy with McVeigh on the interchange bench. I've seen him give fellow players an onfield spray on several occasions this year.

What is cause and what is effect? How long ago did Hannebery check out? What did the other players know?

More generally, it seems we have been bereft of leadership this year. You can just sense it. The fact that the club is happy to offload him after he signed a long term contract just a few years ago suggests something has changed. I don't think it is salary cap pressure, although that may be part of it.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    I think Sinclair is out of contract. I was wondering what was happening with him.
    It was suggested on SEN that with Nic Nat out for another year and Lycett seeking a game elsewhere that Sinkers might be a good fit for the Eagles. Pure speculation as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I agree that it's hard to see Towers staying given his persistent non-selection in the second half of the year. It's been a strange fall from grace for him, given that at the end of 2017 and start of 2018 he seemed to have established himself in the senior team. Of the rest, I reckon it would be wise to retain a couple, assuming they are happy to stick around knowing they'll probably be playing NEAFL. I don't feel which are better value to keep. I reckon Rose has the biggest potential upside but I also reckon he's a long shot to achieve it.
    We may not see many primary list delistings until after the trade period and we can calculate just how many spots are open. I feel Towers, Robinson and Marsh have had enough time to prove that they are only marginal players. Rose and Foote will probably also prove they're not good enough either, but not having had quite enough time to be sure. That said, I did see some progress this year from them that shows that they are still improving.

There will probably be a preference to playing younger players like Ling, Stoddart and Blakey ahead of these depth players, so they will likely have scant opportunities to prove themselves.

I hope you are right, Ludwig, we need to give our potential A graders a chance, like COR, Dawson, Stoddart, Cameron as well as Long, Blakey and our drafted players. Find that missing spark, enthusiasm. I agree with your summation about Towers, Robinson and Marsh- list cloggers - and even Foote to my mind doesn't have that skill set ( plenty of pace and heart but that doesn't translate in the main game. Its two way game nowadays , just watch the current Melb - Has game, Melb turn defence into attack and run run run to get into position to take the handball, mark and goal. That's what Swannies need to get back to top 4 where we belong.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I have little faith in journo's esp. Barrett and I have lots of faith in our club and it's culture.....bias, maybe.....romantic, definitely!

Seriously though, I think it's becoming clear the Swans are planning something big.
    I’m praying that’s the case. Seriously we have to be doing this deliberately. The alternative doesn’t bear thinking about.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Does Damien Barrett even understand what the term "Sliding Door" means?? He doesn't seem to use it in the right context.
    No he doesn't, his column is crap.

I'll give you a Sliding Door moment - Paul Roos wanted Stewie Dew to be his understudy at the Dees, Stewie chose to stay with us and later take on the Gold Coast Quagmire. Now that's a Sliding Door moment!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I have heard we are showing interest in Sam Wright of North Melbourne. He is currently a free agent having reached an impasse with the Kangarood with his contract negotiations, therefore he wouldn’t cost us anything besides his salary and a list spot.

He has played forward and on the wing earlier in his career but looks to have settled as a defender in the last few years. Missed most of 2016 and all of 2017 with persistent ankle and foot injuries. He has good kicking skills, adept at kicking on either foot, but has a distinct lack of pace.

Perhaps we are looking for an experienced defender to fill in if Lloyd and Newman leave, whilst waiting for Stoddart, O’Riordan and Ling to develop.

Regular in the Side
    Why do the posters here suggest we will not get a ist rounder for san. If he was a free agent with his current salary and purported same + another year sts, it would be a sho in for a first rounder. While I don't want him to go we should play hard ball. The sts have done a lot of swaps for picks over the last few years, please don't give him away. Rohan and his family is a different matter. Its been mentioned that Thurlow can anyone suggest want he would bring to us.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I have heard we are showing interest in Sam Wright of North Melbourne. He is currently a free agent having reached an impasse with the Kangarood with his contract negotiations, therefore he wouldn’t cost us anything besides his salary and a list spot.

He has played forward and on the wing earlier in his career but looks to have settled as a defender in the last few years. Missed most of 2016 and all of 2017 with persistent ankle and foot injuries. He has good kicking skills, adept at kicking on either foot, but has a distinct lack of pace.

Perhaps we are looking for an experienced defender to fill in if Lloyd and Newman leave, whilst waiting for Stoddart, O’Riordan and Ling to develop.
    Sam Wright's Goal of the Year contender (Round 11, 2018) - YouTube
    Sam Wright's Mark of the Year contender (Round 12, 2018) - YouTube