Page 372 of 418 FirstFirst ... 272322362368369370371372373374375376382 ... LastLast
Results 4,453 to 4,464 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    my worry fin picking up Menzel. is who misses out, Ronke, Papley, Haywood, Florent or Reid if fit
    If Thurlow starts hitting his straps a key defender may also miss out

Good competition for spots

Not a top 4 team in my opinion unless injuries cruel gws , Richmond , etc

Warming the Bench
    Robbo & Marsh are both out as well.

Of the 19 players left from our last game we have Mills, Reid, Naismith, Smith, Melican, Clarke, Thurlow, Menzel & a smokey that always seems to pop up to try and fit into a team of 22 they may be regretting re signing some of the older players.

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    my worry fin picking up Menzel. is who misses out, Ronke, Papley, Haywood, Florent or Reid if fit
    Good problem to have don’t you think ? Means players have to bang down the door to get a game and the starting 22 need to perform well t hold their spot. No gifting games when not deserved and no golden passes for poor performances. Sounds like a recipe for a stronger swans side in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Good problem to have don’t you think ? Means players have to bang down the door to get a game and the starting 22 need to perform well t hold their spot. No gifting games when not deserved and no golden passes for poor performances. Sounds like a recipe for a stronger swans side in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the big thing for me, and it appears from the trades of Hanners and Rohan that Longmire and co are on the same page. As loyal servants as they have been over a long time, we won't improve unless some of those veterans clinging on are overtaken in the seniors by some of our younger players. I won't go so far as to nominate specific players, but there are a couple of obvious candidates that may be spending some time in the NEAFL this season

Regular in the Side
    It will be a stronger side if only our crocks are available. Reid, Naismith, Melican, Ling, McVeigh, Smith, Allir, Franklin, Grundy, Mills, Ronke, Dawson, Rampe, Heeney, O'Riordan and Pink for starters have all had significant absences and then Jones can be unavailable for a different reason and that is not counting Tippett who will still be on the list. Menzel and Thurlow both come with significant injury issues as well and so does Baker if we pick him up. In the last few seasons at Xmas I think we have a list that could challenge for the flag and by Round one we see the long injury list that was kept hushed up and reality sinks in.

THIS is why Hanners moved to Melbourne... more "air time" from the press.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/han...15-p50g86.html
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    If Thurlow starts hitting his straps a key defender may also miss out

Good competition for spots

Many thought WC weren't top four material this year and that Richmond weren't top four material the year before......they now have a premiership each. We are in pretty good shape I reckon.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    It will be a stronger side if only our crocks are available. Reid, Naismith, Melican, Ling, McVeigh, Smith, Allir, Franklin, Grundy, Mills, Ronke, Dawson, Rampe, Heeney, O'Riordan and Pink for starters have all had significant absences and then Jones can be unavailable for a different reason and that is not counting Tippett who will still be on the list. Menzel and Thurlow both come with significant injury issues as well and so does Baker if we pick him up. In the last few seasons at Xmas I think we have a list that could challenge for the flag and by Round one we see the long injury list that was kept hushed up and reality sinks in.
    You're point?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    THIS is why Hanners moved to Melbourne... more "air time" from the press.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/han...15-p50g86.html
    Not as silly as it sounds.

Far greater opportunities for an after career media career for a Melbourne based player than one from the non AFL-states. Don't be surprised if Hanners doesn't appear on Fox Footy somewhere soon. Would never get that opportunity as a Sydney based player.

But COLA...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Not as silly as it sounds.

Far greater opportunities for an after career media career for a Melbourne based player than one from the non AFL-states. Don't be surprised if Hanners doesn't appear on Fox Footy somewhere soon. Would never get that opportunity as a Sydney based player.

But COLA...
    He's just finished his "marketing" degree.
    Putting into practice marketing himself.
    He's already bigger than St Kilda and he hasn't played a game!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    GWS is not a top 4 team this year. Mark my words

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    GWS is not a top 4 team this year. Mark my words
    Done!
    markedwords.png
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Many "experts" use Champion Data like its the be all to measure success or failure by teams and individual players. Happens by TV pundits all the time. This time, one of Champion Data's experts / statisticians has used their data to speculate that Essendon will fly into the 8 and the Swans and Power will have bad seasons and drop out of the 8. I watch games, teams and players on their merits each week and don't always measure a player's success by just their stats and the same of teams. Tactics and instructions to players change depending on who they are playing, conditions and the opportunities. Sure stats are part of the measure but it is beyond me that Champion Data is the be all end all fate of a teams success or failure.
    I have every confidence that the Swans will not only be in the 8 but will be top 4. We have lost little and gained 3 more players with potential to add to our playing stock, have Mills, Naismith and Reid coming back from a year out and I'm also sure Kinnear will jag 3 young diamonds in the Draft. And our young boys have a year under their belt.
    Competition will be great for a place in the 22 in 2019