Page 324 of 418 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334374 ... LastLast
Results 3,877 to 3,888 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    And the Pies get Beams as well - they seem to have a bottomless pit of money along with Hawthorn - a joke really - everyone knows it can't be above board.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Pies and dons have both given up a bit , trading out of the first round of two drafts is a risky move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They clearly think they are a big chance for a flag in 2019.

I posted this earlier. I was stunned that this is possible, or am I missing something?

How Hawthorn Hawks got Tom Scully in “greatest giveaway of all-time” https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/10/...y-of-all-time/

“It is a risk, but at the same time, if he does have an injury that allows him to never play again, the payments they make for Tom Scully will fall outside the salary cap.”

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I posted this earlier. I was stunned that this is possible, or am I missing something?

How Hawthorn Hawks got Tom Scully in “greatest giveaway of all-time” How Hawthorn Hawks got Tom Scully in “greatest giveaway of all-time”

“It is a risk, but at the same time, if he does have an injury that allows him to never play again, the payments they make for Tom Scully will fall outside the salary cap.”
    Something like what we did with Tippett. It's not all outside the cap but there are set rules for paying out contracts and how the $ are counted in the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

All teams around top 8 have advanced
    Injuries aside and draft aside:

1. West Coast - In: Hickey Out: Lycett. Slightly worse.
    2. Collingwood - In: Beams & Roughead Out: Fasolo out. Better
    3. Richmond - In: Lynch Out: Ellis, Myles, Conca, Lloyd, Stengle. Better but reduced depth.
    4. Melbourne - In: May, Kolodjashnij, Preuss Out: Hogan, Tyson, Kent. Probably slightly better.
    5. Hawthorn - In: Wingard, Scully, Scrimshaw Out: Burton, Duryea. A lot depends on Scully's health but overall better. Burton is a big price to pay.
    6. GWS - In: Nil Out: Shiel, Scully, Lobb, Setterfield WOW. Massively worse.
    7. Swans - In: Clarke, Thurlow Out: Hannebery, Rohan, Newman. Treading water.
    8. Geelong - In: Dahlhaus, Rohan, Kreuger Out: Thurlow, Horlin-Smith, McCarthy. Slightly better.
    9. North Melbourne - In: Polec, Tyson, Pittard, Hall Out: Preuss, Clarke. Better.
    10. Port Adelaide - In: Lycett, Burton, Mayes Out: Wingard, Polec, Pittard, Hombsch. Slightly Worse
    11. Essendon - In: Shiel Out: Colyer. Better
    12. Adelaide - In: McAdam, Stengle Out: McGovern. Worse.

The Hun's summary of trade week winners and losers: Category: | Herald Sun

GEELONG

It’s still hard to see what role Gary Rohan plays, but no one can doubt he has huge talent.

SYDNEY SWANS

IN: Picks No.26, 39, 40, Jackson Thurlow, Ryan Clarke, Carlton’s future second and fourth-round picks

OUT: Pick No.13, 70, Dan Hannebery, Gary Rohan, Nic Newman

DRAFT PICKS: 26, 33, 38, 39, 40, 88

JON RALPH SAYS: The Swans ultimately did exactly what GWS did — ease salary cap issues — but without the fanfare. They traded away Dan Hannebery and got back very little for him, moved on Gary Rohan amid anger from the player himself and in the end failed to lure Darcy Moore despite months of conjecture. In the end they ended up bringing in Cats defender Jackson Thurlow for a late pick as well as fringe Roos midfield Ryan Clarke. The positive was bringing in heaps of points to secure father-son Nick Blakey, who will be a jet next year. But securing five picks between 26 and 40 doesn’t get the pulses racing. Like GWS, the lack of COLA is clearly biting for Sydney too.

GRADE: C

So are the hawks and pies chucking all their draft chips in to aim for a premiership in the next couple of years? According to the draft guide on the afl website hawks have got picks 53 and 90, not much long term planning there.

C it is
    Not A
    Not B
    But C

Not a very positive trajectory

Negative in fact

That’s the facts

Veterans List
    A number of other clubs have burnt this years and next years picks in trades, some will pay off, some won't. I stick by my earlier post, no point trading just for the sake of it.

We have obviously taken steps to correct salary cap issues leaving us in a very good position next year plus extra picks in hand.

If Blakey is as good as all the pundits say, we've done well, in some ways we've upgraded from pick 13 to pick 7 in a super draft and strengthened our later picks plus added 2019 picks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    C it is
    Not A
    Not B
    But C

Not a very positive trajectory

Negative in fact

That’s the facts
    Auntie, go to the top shelf and crack a really good red, glug it down and you'll feel much better!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    In regards to Thurlow as I stated previously Sydney had spoken to him early n his lack of game time had a lot to do with not getting along with his defensive coach, Scarlett. This came from a very very close relative.

BTW I’m not a friend of Jackson’s or relative. I’ve met him once.
    Great call Boddo from over a month out. I was keen when you mentioned the option and now it has come to fruition I see some great potential upside. After undertaking some comparisons on footywire I think we have done well based on his statistical history. Very unlucky after splitting his kidney a couple of years ago and coming back from that successfully to then need a knee reconstruction. Hopefully that’s the end of his injury woes.

There's no point in undoing what we've done through the draft the past 5 years. We have focused on building a team via organic growth rather than briinging in players from the outside. We have a deep list of under 25 players whose potential is yet to be realised. Bringing in big fish would just smell up the joint, especially rotting carcusses of 29 year olds like Beams and Scully.

The Victorian clubs have stolen everything in sight and are set to fight it out for a flag in the next couple of years. The VFL have taken the cap off their bottles and even providing free wet nurses for all those crybabies coming home.

Hanners and Rohan finally get back home

I'm happy to keep developing our group and see where it takes us. By my count we will have to delist another player, probably either Marsh or Robinson. Those 3 picks in a row, 38, 39 and 40 are really useful in that we don't have to work through a strategy of who might be around for the next pick; we just take the 3 we want from the remaining lot. There are usually still a number of good players around at that point in the draft. We just need to back our list management team to pick the right ones. They've done a pretty good job so far.

Most of those clubs who are said to have 'won' the trade period have given away their top draft picks, including picks from next year. We still get a top pick in Blakey this year and have added another 2nd and 4th round pick for next year. We offloaded our crybabies and should start the season next year with the enthusiam of a fine young list of players wanting to succeed and reach their potential.

Speechless 😶