Page 330 of 418 FirstFirst ... 230280320326327328329330331332333334340380 ... LastLast
Results 3,949 to 3,960 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We delisted Jake Brown, but is there anyone in our Academy we can draft this year who's a better prospect? I didn't think so watching some of the better ones, like Stern, Wicks and Stewart playing in the same games as Brown. I thought all were borderline selections and none were better than Brown.
    I guess the thinking is that he's had an extra year in the system, including one year actually being a full-time footballer. (The U19 squad trains a lot with the senior squad but I guess it's not quite as intensive.) So he's had his chance to show he had improvement left in him (which he did, but maybe not enough).

I agree none of those three has anything stand out about them that suggests they're capable of much, or any, more than Brown but maybe one or more deserves a chance. Stern does have some genuine pace about him, while I thought Stewart was the best performed of the year over the course of the NEAFL season.

Reinhardt looks to be one who does have a bit of scope for improvement because he's taller (though not quite KPP height) and is still very lightly built.

The club could cast the net a bit wider and look to recent graduates from the U18 and U19 academy programmes who've move to other clubs. There were a handful who got NEAFL rising star nominations in 2018 and others who had good seasons. I don't know whether the club retains the right to choose players like this as Cat B rookies though. I suspect not.

Quote Originally Posted by ISIBIDBI View Post
    Not sure if anyone has seen Kinnear’s trade period summary but it was very interesting. Mentioned at the end that the Swans would look to move up the draft order with live pick trading if there is someone we rate really highly. Also said we were looking at taking 4 players in the draft including Blakey.
    If Kinnear says so, the four players we want will be little guns.
    I'm not worried, Kinnear knows what he's doing.
    Our list is very healthy now that a little dead wood has been burned.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    3 ex Swans received premiership medallions in the last 3 years. And a Brownlow.
    Not sure that will happen again from this years trading - so a win for me from this year
    Toby Nankervis.
    Lewis Jetta.
    ??? Who's the third one to win a p'ship? I've got no idea.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Tunnel View Post
    Toby Nankervis.
    Lewis Jetta.
    ??? Who's the third one to win a p'ship? I've got no idea.
    Biggs

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Here's my (co-authored) take for the ABC, based on our HPN work - Who won and lost the 2018 AFL Trade Period? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It's not a glamorous trade period, but Sydney project well out of it in terms of total future expected value (there are graphs!).

Clarke is a big piece of that. As a 21 year old with 40 games under his belt (even at a relatively low level of value to his team), history suggests he has a lot of footy ahead of him, probably more than Hannebery and Rohan combined (Thurlow barely figures and Newman might do a lot more at Carlton than he would have here).

We have also upgraded our position in the next two drafts by a lot (that Saints 2nd rounder is a nice acquisition), basically expanding the probability we get good value out of it, and because draft position is all abstract probabilities, this is the thing observers tend to underrate.
    Great article, and I love the graphs! Def feeling a lot more positive about our trade period.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Biggs
    Thank you Liz.
    Totally forgot about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We delisted Jake Brown, but is there anyone in our Academy we can draft this year who's a better prospect? I didn't think so watching some of the better ones, like Stern, Wicks and Stewart playing in the same games as Brown. I thought all were borderline selections and none were better than Brown.
    I'd probably give one of them a rookie list spot. But it would be mainly for the positive reinforcement value for others in the academy. That is, just to stress that there is a realistic path, from the academy to the Swans list. On similar lines, I would also be tempted to give someone like Ryan Hebron a spot: who after being a toppy from the academy, went to Sydney Uni and won their best and fairest. Which may send the positive message, that if you miss out on a spot in your draft year, there's still a pathway through the NEAFL, if you apply yourself and improve your game.
    Which in the long term, should both strengthen the Swans and strengthen the NEAFL.
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 19th October 2018 at 11:22 AM.

2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Libba still unsigned ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Libba still unsigned ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can he be held responsible for the sins of his father?

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    do the dogs even have a team still?

Yes
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    I think Swans would steer clear of him given his off field exploits regardless of any history with his old man