Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Harley webinars

Tom Harley webinars

Tom Harley plans to do three webinars this season, as well as send three letters to members. The first webinar was last night. Did anybody see it? I tried to register using the link in the email sent to members but repeated efforts just resulted in "the system is temporarily unavailable" messages. I am really interested to know how it went, what questions were asked, what answers were given etc. Surely someone among us saw it, and maybe even participated?? Please tell.

I've successfully watched two of the webinars of his in the past. He tends to give pretty predictable and uncontroversial answers. Unfortunately I missed last night's as I was tied up in a work meeting at that time. Its a bit hard to tell the Boss that I have to finish the meeting so I can watch the Swans CEO make comments about our players etc!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    I received a member email today from Harley detailing the main discussion points from the webinar. I was surprised to read that the development of our new facilities hasn't started yet. Why has this taken so long?

Tom Harley webinars

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I received a member email today from Harley detailing the main discussion points from the webinar. I was surprised to read that the development of our new facilities hasn't started yet. Why has this taken so long?
    Wow, you are a tough taskmaster. The project was only announced in October 2018. In that announcement (attached) it said:

“The new lease will commence in May 2019. The timeframe for capital works is to be confirmed pending design, planning and development approvals. “

Sydney Swans secure new home for HQ & Community Centre in Moore Park - sydneyswans.com.au

Just building a house those processes take 6 - 9 months. If they get started on this much more complicated project by early 2020 I think they will be doing well.

Have a look here at all the planning documents, etc. required, including a community feedback process in July/August this year - and a microbat survey report .

There is also a recent detailed letter from Harley to the Council listed which includes a lot of interesting detail. This should be a fabulous amenity when it is complete.

Adaptive reuse of the Royal Hall of Industries | Major Projects - Department of Planning and Environment

Xxxxx
    Last edited by Meg; 12th November 2019 at 09:37 AM.

It seems weird to me that even here, on a dedicated Swans fansite, we can't find one single person who will own up to having seen the webinar. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It seems weird to me that even here, on a dedicated Swans fansite, we can't find one single person who will own up to having seen the webinar. What gives?
    ‘Own up’ is a very odd description. Why should we ‘own up’?

I don't think they've put it to tender yet, they've secured $15m in federal funding according to this article from the age.
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...23-p51glx.html

"The $15 million from the federal government is guaranteed regardless of the result of next month's election. The Swans have received a further $25 million in funding from the NSW Government ($20 million) and the AFL ($5 million), with the remaining $15 million to come from the club's own fundraising."

I'd be surprised if it was finished before the end of 2021 really. Looking at the Department of Planning and Environment website, there appears to only have been 9 public submissions about the project, so it shouldn't run into too many problems in that regard. But this is still a community project with tie-ins to the local, state, and federal government as well as the SCG trust. That process will take time.

I can't wait to see it completed but unfortunately we will need to be a little patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    ‘Own up’ is a very odd description. Why should we ‘own up’?
    Just a mild attempt at humour that seems to have missed its mark. A bit like the webinar seems to have.

Just a mild attempt at humour that seems to have missed its mark. A bit like the webinar seems to have.
    The webinar was fine. Members had sent in questions, Harley answered them. His answers were pretty predictable but I at least didn’t expect him to say anything controversial or to give us an inside scoop.

I think the webinars are a good initiative. Send in questions and take part I suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I think the webinars are a good initiative. Send in questions and take part I suggest.
    I tried to take part but, as noted in my first post, I was unable to register despite repeated attempts.

I tried to take part but, as noted in my first post, I was unable to register despite repeated attempts.
    Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound curt earlier. As Mel has said there was a summary in a members email last week - copied below for those who didn’t get it.

Re the ‘hot topic’ of Papley & Daniher - he basically said Swans would only consider trading Tom if they got a quality player back (aka Daniher). That didn’t happen and (in effect) Tom was expected to come back and get on with it.

He made no comment about whether we would try for Daniher next year and I for one didn’t expect him to.

He was asked about the Academy review and he was adamant the Swans expected no changes to be made.

He was also asked about the coaching reshuffle but his response was descriptive (about who would be coaching where) rather than explanatory about the rationale for the changes. So no ‘X was hopeless as a coach there so we’ve shifted him’ type of answer.

While there was nothing exceptional in the webinar, I think it was worthwhile. And it might be worth trying to get more detail by sending in more specific/targeted questions. Worth a try.

—————
    Tom Harley email to Swans Members

PRE-SEASON
    The pre-season officially commenced last week with the return of our younger players. Sam Gray, Kaiden Brand and Irishman Barry O’Connor were among the fresh faces on the track, while a rather familiar face – Lance Franklin – elected to kick off his pre-season early. There’s a wonderful enthusiasm among the group and 12 of the 15 players who ran the time trial set a personal best!

Our senior players return to training next Monday. New recruit Lewis Taylor – the 2014 Rising Star winner we secured from Brisbane during the trade period – will be among that group. The 24-year-old has played 112 AFL games and brings pace to the team. He’s going to be an important player for us in the years to come.

FIXTURE
    In October we welcomed the release of the 2020 AFL fixture. We’re excited to open Sir Doug Nicholls Round, against Geelong on Friday, May 22, to mark Marn Grook at the SCG. We’re grateful too that the AFL was able to accommodate our request for greater balance between day and night games across the course of the season, as well as six games in Melbourne. The first bounce of the 2020 season will be in Adelaide on March 21, and we cannot wait to share the journey with you.

MEMBER SATISFACTION SURVEY
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete the Member Satisfaction Survey sent out after Round 23. It’s valuable for us to understand what you like and what we can work on.

We heard from several members that the cost of coming to the footy can be high, especially for families. We want to help you come to as many games as possible, so there are several initiatives we are adopting in 2020.

General Admission, Red Zone and Victorian family memberships will now include up to four juniors at no additional cost.
    There is no increase in the cost of memberships where benefits remain the same.
    We’re working with the SCG and their caterer, Delaware North, to make some improvements to food and drinks at the SCG, including more special offers for members.

63% of members told us they’d take public transport if it was included in their membership. We’re working hard to improve access to our games and will keep you updated on progress over the pre-season.

The coming months are an exciting time for our club. We are hoping to see work commence on the Sydney Swans HQ and Community Centre, a project that will take shape over the course of next season. We look forward to welcoming you to our new home by the end of 2020.

Thanks very much for your post, Meg. It's good to get sense of what happened at the webinar but the content sounds disappointing. I did see the email but I didn't realise it was meant to be a synopsis of the webinar. Nothing too much of interest (to me) there.

In conclusion, I feel like I didn't miss much and the webinar, while 'worthwhile', feels like a disappointment, particularly given in my conversation TH said he wanted the club to be more "daring" and transparent in its communications with fans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast