Page 371 of 418 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375381 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,452 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Another set of draft power rankings, this time from AFL Draft Central: AFL Draft Central Final 2018 Power Rankings - AFL Draft Central
    Thanks, a very good read, was p[articularly interested in those 35-45 ish which is where our three other picks could well come from.

Happy about the Menzel signing, he has genuine footy smarts and is an elite kick, rates only behind Toby Greene as a medium forward, and we get him for free. If we can get the ball to him, he will kick the goals. Makes a good foil for when Buddy wanders outside the 50. Forget the tackling knock, we've got some tackling machines in the forward line already. Will be best 22.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Another set of draft power rankings, this time from AFL Draft Central: AFL Draft Central Final 2018 Power Rankings - AFL Draft Central
    Thanks for the link. I was pleased to read the review on Blakey which is just as I viewed his introduction to the team over the next couple of seasons.

"He has had comparisons to ‘Buddy’ Franklin, and they are not too far-fetched with Blakey having the size of a key forward, but the smarts and athleticism of a midfielder. He is a huge inclusion to the Swans outfit, and could play early on, but the Swans will be sure to bulk up his wiry frame before subjecting him to monster key defenders. Expect him to play an outside role with some time in the midfield before he can bulk up and eventually take over from ‘Buddy’ inside that forward 50. Not a huge accumulator, but boy does Blakey have some nice tricks, and some high X-factor which will excite Swans fans."

Stoked with the Menzel pick up . Turns an okay trade period into a decent I reckon, assuming he can get on the park ( and stay there ). Can see him working very nicely with Bud , they both possess a beautiful lick inside 50 so could be trading goal assists in a few months time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder why nicks goal % and total has been omitted. ?

I think the Menzel acquisition adds more weight to the strategy of getting Mills and Heeney more midfield time. In this case, it means that Heeney is less likely to be played forward and will probably play predominantly out of the centre. $81 for the Brownlow is juicy.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    That leaves only Bailey Stewart of what I would have considered to be the top four academy prospects in the NEAFL.
    Are the Swans thinking of giving him a cat B rookie contract.
    Stewart also signs with Sydney Uni

Promising Swan Bailey Stewart joins Students ahead of 2019 - Sydney University Australian National Football Club : Sydney University Australian National Football Club

With the pickup of Menzel, I would rate the trade period as a big success. We got a lot more talent in the door than went out. Sure, Menzel's fitness might be an issue, but so was Hanners', and we certainly won out on the contract differential. 1 year for a player of Menzel's talent is a risk worth taking.

We also enhanced our draft position, both this year an next. I've gone through a number of videos of players that might be available at our 3 later picks, and there looks to be plenty of talent left at that stage of the draft. I feel we should be more excited about the draft than just landing Blakey. All of our draft picks should have something to offer.

Just thought I would add a few names of players to look out for, just for a reference after the draft and compare to who we took: Stack, Sparrow, O'Neil, Hamill, Reid, Bytel, Vandermeer.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 14th November 2018 at 08:20 PM.

Veterans List
    Menzel highlights package on the Swans website shows what talent he has, good pick up.

Senior Player
    I hope we pick up Mitch Maguire, he is a serious player. Just an absolute ball magnet.

Sydney Swans serious about drafting Canberra Demons duo

Is my count below correct ?

—————-

SYDNEY SWANS 2019

Papley, buddy, Ronke
    Hayward, Reid, Florent

Kennedy
    Parker
    Heeney
    Cunningham
    Jones
    Naismith

Smith, AA, lloyd
    Rampe, Melican, Macca

BENCH:
    Hewett
    Mills
    Menzel
    T.McCartin

Thurlow
    Clarke
    Jack
    Ling
    Dawson
    Sinclair
    O’Riordan
    Grundy
    Stoddart
    Maibaum
    Cameron
    Fox
    Rose
    Total 35 on senior list

IN:
    Thurlow
    Menzel
    Clarke

DRAFT:

Picks 26,33 for Blakey ?

Picks 38,39,40 remaining ?

ROOKIES

CATEGORY A
    1.Pink
    2.Amartey
    3.Tippett (Needs to be rookied)
    4. ?
    5. ?

CATEGORY B
    1.Bell
    2.Blair
    3.Baker or McGuire or both ?

Out : 8 players
    Brown
    Foote
    Styles
    Towers
    Johnson
    Newman
    Hannes
    Rohan

“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
    Horace Mann

Regular in the Side
    my worry fin picking up Menzel. is who misses out, Ronke, Papley, Haywood, Florent or Reid if fit