Page 325 of 418 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335375 ... LastLast
Results 3,889 to 3,900 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side
    Not good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There's no point in undoing what we've done through the draft the past 5 years. We have focused on building a team via organic growth rather than briinging in players from the outside. We have a deep list of under 25 players whose potential is yet to be realised. Bringing in big fish would just smell up the joint, especially rotting carcusses of 29 year olds like Beams and Scully.

The Victorian clubs have stolen everything in sight and are set to fight it out for a flag in the next couple of years. The VFL have taken the cap off their bottles and even providing free wet nurses for all those crybabies coming home.

Hanners and Rohan finally get back home

I'm happy to keep developing our group and see where it takes us. By my count we will have to delist another player, probably either Marsh or Robinson. Those 3 picks in a row, 38, 39 and 40 are really useful in that we don't have to work through a strategy of who might be around for the next pick; we just take the 3 we want from the remaining lot. There are usually still a number of good players around at that point in the draft. We just need to back our list management team to pick the right ones. They've done a pretty good job so far.

Most of those clubs who are said to have 'won' the trade period have given away their top draft picks, including picks from next year. We still get a top pick in Blakey this year and have added another 2nd and 4th round pick for next year. We offloaded our crybabies and should start the season next year with the enthusiam of a fine young list of players wanting to succeed and reach their potential.
    Ludwig, that is tasteless - bordering on offensive. And not even remotely funny. I thought our recruiters have dropped the ball ... you’ve just kicked it out on the full ... backwards into the defencive 50.

Veterans List
    One of Ludwig's best posts! Grow up boys......

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Ludwig, that is tasteless - bordering on offensive. And not even remotely funny. I thought our recruiters have dropped the ball ... you’ve just kicked it out on the full ... backwards into the defencive 50.
    You're offended by a picture of a woman breastfeeding?

I don't agree with Ludwig's characterisation of Rohan and Hannebery as cry babies. Indeed, I think it's unfair to them as the trades seem to have been initiated by the club, not the players. In the case of Rohan we know that to be the case. With Hannebery we don't know for sure who raised the idea but it seems to have been mutual in the end.

Apart from that, I think Ludwig's observations are perfectly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Tastelessness is a matter of taste. What part do you find offensive?

Even the most supposedly offensive stuff I post on here is mild to what we all encounter on a regular basis in the real world. Those who would find my last post offensive must have trouble leaving their homes, because they must world out there totally paralyzing.

I just exaggerate things a bit to make a point. We all know that already.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You're offended by a picture of a woman breastfeeding?
    On a football forum? Yes. I am. It’s not a women’s health forum, or a child rearing forum. In my opinion I t’s not necessary, nor particularly relevant.

Every individual can be offended by whatever they personally find offensive. That does it for me.

Assuming we'll be using picks 26 & 33 to secure Blakely in the ND, we will be considering packaging picks 38/39/40 in any combination to gain higher pick? Clubs can still do pick trading till Nov 16th & live pick trading on Draft night itself.

Collingwood now only have 600 points to secure their NGA & F/S which won't be near enough. Gets messy if they have to delve into next year's picks. Is it possible they will now not consider matching bids for either/both players?
    Last edited by KSAS; 17th October 2018 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Tastelessness is a matter of taste. What part do you find offensive?

Even the most supposedly offensive stuff I post on here is mild to what we all encounter on a regular basis in the real world. Those who would find my last post offensive must have trouble leaving their homes, because they must world out there totally paralyzing.

I just exaggerate things a bit to make a point. We all know that already.
    Exclusively the image. It’s not discrete. It’s not particularly relevant (or accurate about Hanners, nor sympathetic to Gary & his wife given their difficult circumstances and the fact the the club chose to cut him). It’s not (in my opinion) necessary.

On the veteran's list
    Harley's summation of the trade period seems positive. Had their eyes on Clarke and Thurlow for some time apparently. Interesting that he mentioned getting extra picks for next year as important. Is there an academy kid coming through that we might need points for? How old are the Longmire colts?

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Great call Boddo from over a month out. I was keen when you mentioned the option and now it has come to fruition I see some great potential upside. After undertaking some comparisons on footywire I think we have done well based on his statistical history. Very unlucky after splitting his kidney a couple of years ago and coming back from that successfully to then need a knee reconstruction. Hopefully that’s the end of his injury woes.
    I also posted around this time from my sources that St Kilda will be paying Hanners FULL salary, when there was media speculation we'll paying part of his Saints salary for 3 years. Not good as Boddo's Thurlow call above, but it did came to fruition nevertheless.

Senior Player
    Glad it's over, the thread has resembled a post-loss thread at times.

I think it's hard to 'rate' trade performance of clubs, as we aren't privy to the club finances nor conversations with agents about player circumstances and preferences. Each club would have different objectives. Also, the wisdom of these trades will be hard to judge for some time. We brought Rhyce Shaw in for the difference between picks 61 and 46; we brought Morton in for 79 and he kicked two goals in a grand final win.

We clearly targeted a few players to recruit and release and mostly executed that, with a net gain in points and a couple of ins who were drafted at picks 16 and 31.

I thought Ludwig nailed it with the written contribution in the post above. The image was probably a bit much.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Assuming we'll be using picks 26 & 33 to secure Blakely in the ND, we will be considering packaging picks 38/39/40 in any combination to gain higher pick? Clubs can still do pick trading till Nov 16th & live pick trading on Draft night itself.

Collingwood now only have 600 points to secure their NGA & F/S which won't be near enough. Gets messy if they have to delve into next year's picks. Is it possible they will now not consider matching bids for either/both players?
    This is what i was thinking.

An early pick on Isaac Quaynor see them use up all their picks and points.

We then make a bid on Josh Kelly, who I rate and watch Eddie blow up.

Kelly is a very good player.

POS: Key defender
    Ht 193cm, Wt 83kg, DOB 16/8/00
    From Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
    August ranking: 19

The Collingwood father-son prospect sits comfortably among the best group of key position defenders in this year's crop. He has come on well as the season has grown, having played at school level largely as a forward. However, his best spot seems to be in defence, where his athleticism and competitiveness comes to the fore. The 18-year-old is the son of 1990 Magpies premiership player Craig Kelly
    doof-doof