Page 336 of 336 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336
Results 4,021 to 4,026 of 4026

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

12 months ago - no one was spruiking Collingwoods depth and talent and they didnt really do much during the trade period from what I recall.

A year prior to that , Richmond wasnt really the name on anyones lips for premiership chances.

Both teams essentially just developed their games and the list improved overall within.

No big trades and teams that at the time were not viewed that highly and with coaches who were precariously placed in their roles.

I still remember AFL 360 almost laughing at Hardwicke expressing pure faith in his list as the guys gave it to him over his poor recruitment. 12 months later it all cam together and suddenly they are the team that everyone wants to mimic.

I have faith in the talent at hand and if they develop further it doesnt need some big shot from another team to lift it to the next level. In fact the addition of a couple of depth players into our bottom 6 is probably more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't think there's any singular way to building a winning list. Just because we or another club in the past built a list by recruiting big name players during trade period and was successful, doesn't mean that's the only road to success.
    Agreed. After all lists are just a piece of paper. They don't win premierships. Teams made up of committed individuals , great leaders and powerful cultures achieve the ultimate success. Bulldogs, Richmond and West Coast are testament to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Agreed. After all lists are just a piece of paper. They don't win premierships. Teams made up of committed individuals , great leaders and powerful cultures achieve the ultimate success. Richmond and West Coast are testament to that.
    Fixed

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Status quo for Swans, but 2019 raid looms

Status quo for Swans, but 2019 raid looms - AFL.com.au
    Thats a fantastic article.

The big question is whether we can stay healthy and injury-free. Important for any club of course, but more important for the current Swans list - we lack depth as young players are still maturing. He also makes a valid point about the future of our young bloods, Longmire seems to be forming the core of a Swans team built for the next decade. Kind of reminds me of the Hawthorn core from 2008-2015 - heres hoping we're just as successful!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't think there's any singular way to building a winning list. Just because we or another club in the past built a list by recruiting big name players during trade period and was successful, doesn't mean that's the only road to success.
    Indeed, our recent history suggests it's not a great route for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Agreed. After all lists are just a piece of paper. They don't win premierships. Teams made up of committed individuals , great leaders and powerful cultures achieve the ultimate success. Bulldogs, Richmond and West Coast are testament to that.
    I hope that is still true of the Swans, it certainly was in the past) - but I think we can only assume/hope it still applies today (actual evidence will only emerge with the passage of time).

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Status quo for Swans, but 2019 raid looms
    Status quo for Swans, but 2019 raid looms - AFL.com.au
    A good positive piece, although the publication date makes it look a little post-facto.

On a less sombre note, regarding the midfield, I sometimes think there's a self fulfilling meme that anyone good should end up in the midfield. There's been lots of talk about freeing up Jones and Mills for the midfield.

I love the way Jones plays the wing, and hope he is released from the backline permanently. He reminds me so much of Stewie Maxfield. The both play/ed with such fury and vigour, even the same excessive-enthusiasm-induced-clangers. If only he wasn't bald, tattooed and lacking an exaggerated ball drop . . . it'd be uncanny.

On the other hand, from his very first season, I have always thought Mills bore an remarkable resemblance to Johnny Rantall in the way he plays, do any other old timers see it?
    If the midfield thing doesn't work out, perhaps the coaches should consider him as backline general/quarterback and think of moving Lloyed upfield.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; Today at 02:36 PM.
    Bye for now - I hope to be back in time for the 150th birthday in 2017. R'n'R

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Indeed, our recent history suggests it's not a great route for us.

I hope that is still true of the Swans, it certainly was in the past) - but I think we can only assume/hope it still applies today (actual evidence will only emerge with the passage of time).

A good positive piece, although the publication date makes it look a little post-facto.

On a less sombre note, regarding the midfield, I sometimes think there's a self fulfilling meme that anyone good should end up in the midfield. There's been lots of talk about freeing up Jones and Mills for the midfield.

I love the way Jones plays the wing, and hope he is released from the backline permanently. He reminds me so much of Stewie Maxfield. The both play/ed with such fury and vigour, even the same excessive-enthusiasm-induced-clangers. If only he wasn't bald, tattooed and lacking an exaggerated ball drop . . . it'd be uncanny.

On the other hand, from his very first season, I have always thought Mills bore an remarkable resemblance to Johnny Rantall in the way he plays, do any other old timers see it?
    If the midfield thing doesn't work out, perhaps the coaches should consider him as backline general/quarterback and think of moving Lloyed upfield.
    Do see the resemblance RR and what a champ he was. IIRC, he played midfield at North times to great effect before he came back to us and again played HBF.