Page 39 of 418 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

The Lloyd situation reminds me eerily of the Tom Mitchell 2016 situation. I think
    Most of us would dearly love to have him stay but he is being offered good coin elsewhere by the sound of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The Lloyd situation reminds me eerily of the Tom Mitchell 2016 situation. I think
    Most of us would dearly love to have him stay but he is being offered good coin elsewhere by the sound of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hope Jake Lloyd stays, but if he goes then so be it. If a player is no longer in the red and white then he is only an opposition player from then on and we move on.

To have macca retire and lloyd go would massively hurt our transitions

Both seriously cool customers / great decision makers

Warming the Bench
    We may have to see who retires and who is traded before being able to offer Lloyd a better deal. He deserves a good contract, I hope it's with us

Senior Player
    When is Florent contracted till ?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    To have macca retire and lloyd go would massively hurt our transitions

Both seriously cool customers / great decision makers
    I imagine that if Macca retires (and I suspect he will if we get a flag) we can probably meet Lloyd's wishes.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I imagine that if Macca retires (and I suspect he will if we get a flag) we can probably meet Lloyd's wishes.
    At this stage if the above happens it would be best case scenario for us.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think that's the wrong way around.

Macca has been a great player for the Swans and is still playing good football. His best has been better than Lloyd's best (by a reasonable margin) and even this year, he's probably been slightly more important for us, when on the field.

But he's close to the end of his career. Even if he wants to play on next year and can eek another year out of his body, he's still a short term option.

I'd have thought the priority should be re-signing Lloyd. Within limits, of course. For all his consistency, cool head and reliability, he's not a superstar. Just a very dependable B grade contributor. But if they can reach agreement with Lloyd at a salary reasonable to both parties, they should do that. And then if McVeigh wants to play on next year, the club should look to see whether they can fit him into the list and the cap. If not, he can retire or go elsewhere. But their relative ages surely has to make the Lloyd situation a priority over McVeigh?

1. The Swans have enough cap space to recruit Jeremy McGovern.
    2. Darcy Moore is nearly a Sydney Swan.
    3. Swans don't have enough money to make a proper contract offer to Jake Lloyd.

Something doesn't ring true about these recent stories. Or at least, there seems to be a simple solution, i.e. forget about Moore and McGovern and give Jake a new contract.

Jake is probably leading in the B&F this year. It would be odd indeed if we couldn't find enough money to sign ostensibly our best player. But regardless of how highly he's rated by the coaches in respect to his contribution to the team, he's the kind of player, low profile and just goes about his business, that can't translate his contribution to the team's success into a big financial reward. Mills, Heeney and Reid will always score better deals than a Jake Lloyd. It's a bit sad.

The Swans have a lot of talented young players who will all be clambering for big contracts, but not everyone can get what they want. Most successful teams that have a lot of good players find that the group as a whole have to make some salary concessions to stay together and continue their success on the field. It's a real challenge for Tom Harley, but if anyone should know how to accomplish the task it should be Tom, because he played on such team.

In the end I expect that a deal will be reached. I don't think we want to lose him and I don't think Jake wants to leave the club. He's not a free agent, which reduces Jake's bargaining power.

There's probably a bit of exaggeration about all these stories concerning player movements and contracts. Journos need to find things to write about. If you don't have facts, rumours will have to do.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    I am really not that fuss if he stay or goes.

He is good and gets lots of stats; but a game winner like Heeney or Buddy?

With Horse's comment about McVeigh we seem to be stockpiling cash for someone, and we need draft picks for new midfielders.

Really hope it not Moore; from the same mould as Reid; always injury and never winning games off his skill.

And if another club wants him, they will have to trade picks over to us in a super draft.

They are some great SA boys we want; Jackson Hately 190cm/81kg and/or Connor Rozee 185cm/72kg and/or Rankine 180cm/76kg a few others:

Riley Collier-Dawkins 193cm/88kg. Nick Blakey 195cm/80kg.
    doof-doof

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think that's the wrong way around.

Macca has been a great player for the Swans and is still playing good football. His best has been better than Lloyd's best (by a reasonable margin) and even this year, he's probably been slightly more important for us, when on the field.

But he's close to the end of his career. Even if he wants to play on next year and can eek another year out of his body, he's still a short term option.

I'd have thought the priority should be re-signing Lloyd. Within limits, of course. For all his consistency, cool head and reliability, he's not a superstar. Just a very dependable B grade contributor. But if they can reach agreement with Lloyd at a salary reasonable to both parties, they should do that. And then if McVeigh wants to play on next year, the club should look to see whether they can fit him into the list and the cap. If not, he can retire or go elsewhere. But their relative ages surely has to make the Lloyd situation a priority over McVeigh?
    I hope (and expect) that the Swans have analysts as clear thinking and objective as you, Liz.

And , perchance they don't, I hope someone there keeps an eye on your utterances.

You're a treasure on this site.