Page 376 of 418 FirstFirst ... 276326366372373374375376377378379380386 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,512 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Most players don't get to play for teams they barracked for. It's rare these days for a Melbourne draftee to have a Swan affinity. Hopefully there'll be more to come. Maybe in future our Academy can be expanded to include players like Riley! After all each of his parents were South Melbourne and Sydney bred!

Draft preview for the Swans from AFL Draft Central: AFL Draft preview: Sydney - AFL Draft Central. Names checked include: Vandermeer, Hamill, Smith, Ross, O'Halloran, Bytel and Joyce.

Chris Doerre aka Knightmare has updated his draft rankings (not phantom draft): AFL Draft Chris Doerre Knightmare Power Rankings Caldwell Collier-Dawkins in top 10. They are boldly different than some others. He rates Sam Walsh as 4th best and Connor McFadyen 10th!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Chris Doerre aka Knightmare has updated his draft rankings (not phantom draft): AFL Draft Chris Doerre Knightmare Power Rankings Caldwell Collier-Dawkins in top 10. They are boldly different than some others. He rates Sam Walsh as 4th best and Connor McFadyen 10th!
    Power rankings always look different to likely draft order. McFadyen is one that I've seen all over the place in Phantom's, Brisbane no doubt hoping he drifts out past their first couple of selections.

22 players will be taken tomorrow night, 18 first rounders, Lynch compo, Blakey, Thomas, Quaynor all taken in first round but paid for with picks as far out as the 50s. I like the idea of the split draft, gives clubs nearly a day to re-tune plans after seeing who didn't go in that 22.

Second night about 18 players will be taken before our batch of three, that's providing Blakey doesn't get bid on higher than pick 7.

Swans primed for Draft - sydneyswans.com.au

It's getting closer. I'm really excited and impatient to see who we draft. I reckon at least one and hopefully more of our latter 3 draftees will make good.

I'm curious about what our needs are and what types of players we will draft. I am unpersuaded by most of the opinions published on different sites. They often don't seem that well informed.

I think we will target a mix of players but surely at least one of them will be a midfielder and maybe more than one. I think we could use inside mids to develop because all our inside mids seem to be best 22 already (JPK, Hewett, Parker, Heeney, maybe Mills). Olly Florent looks primed to play an outside role, maybe Clarke and possibly Papley and Ronke can do it too. Blakey talks about playing midfield (longer term) - not sure whether he sees himself as playing inside, outside or both.

Does anyone have any individual players, or types of players they'd like to see us draft (assuming we pick with 38/39/40 or whatever those picks become)? I've said I would love Valente but he'll be long gone. Ely Smith looks worth a look but he might be gone too. I don't know enough about the rest but I have heard various names mentioned repeatedly. It's always good to get the views of those in the know on RWO.

On the Rookie List
    Lots of talk about who might be available. I don't follow junior footy so I have no idea of who can do what, but I would like to see is (in no particular order):
    1. Blakey
    2. Big bodied midfielder
    3. Natural footballer who can kick
    4. Someone with pace who can kick

An interesting starting point for our later draft picks might be those who did not make Cal Twomey's top 30. Here are a few to consider:
    1. Ely Smith: Versatile midfielder, but likely to go before our next pick.
    2. Bailey Williams: Best KPP not in Cal's top 30. Would be a steal if he gets to us.
    3. Jack Ross: Inside Mid with good size and pace.
    4. Tom Sparrow: Solid competitive midfielder.
    5. Jack Bytel: Midfielder who missed much of the season with back problems, but was highly rated coming into the year.
    6. Will Hamill: Quick skillful midfield.
    7. Tom Berry: Brother of Brisbane's Jarrod Berry; very quick and powerful runner who would be a good pick if he gets past Brisbane's pick 35.
    8. Xavier O'Neill: Midfielder with good all around game. Very Competitive. Looks a bit like Toby Greene? toby-greene-getty-800-2.jpg

Regular in the Side
    No matter who be plays with Let's hope he's not an arsehole like green.

The Swans website says: The Swans hold picks 26, 33, 38, 39, 40 and 84 ahead of the AFL Draft, which implies a current list size of 34, which further implies that only one rookie (Ronke) has been ungraded, and Fox has not.

Are there other possible interpretations?

With 11 departures from the club, we hardly have anyone left to bag. I don't know if all our remaining players are going to make it, probably not, but I can't think of a senior listed player who I'd call a spud.

Jake Brown (del)
    Jordan Foote (del)
    Dan Hannebery (trd)
    Alex Johnson (del)
    Harry Marsh (del)
    Nic Newman (trd)
    Daniel Robinson (del)
    Gary Rohan (trd)
    Angus Styles (del)
    Kurt Tippett (ret)
    Dean Towers (del)
    Last edited by Ludwig; 21st November 2018 at 06:19 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    That doesn't make much sense to me at all. As I understood the process (or thought I understood the process), neither Ronke nor Fox has yet been upgraded. Rather they will (at least Ronke, possibly Fox) using the club's last pick(s) in tomorrow's draft, notwithstanding that upgraded rookies are no longer listed in the draft intake.

With a stated objective of taking four new players in tomorrow's draft and having signed Menzel, by my calculations that should lead to the club having a senior list of 38 (no Fox) or 39 (with Fox) in 2019. But either way, we should currently have a list of 33.

It's not really relevant to the club's situation this year (as we haven't lost any point carrying picks due to list space constraints) but theoretically it could. That's when the timing of when rookies are elevated to the list matters.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    My memory may be playing tricks, but I thought a few years back Kyle was considered to be the better prospect. Obviously a lot can happen over the course of a few years in a junior career, and Josh has thus far proven the better bet.

Imagine Josh requesting a trade in a few years to play with his brother
    Correct caj. He was rated the best of the two. We he hasn't developed since then I don't know. I'm also confused as to why he's playing in a league far away from where the family comes from. Very strange situation (given how close the family was).

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    "Hawthorn also recently met Stocker, with clubs believing they could target him and try to move up the draft from their current starting position (pick No.53) by offloading a future first-round pick."

I would really like the Swans to consider something like this.

West Coast has two second round picks.

This is a really strong draft, and Stocker would have been top ten next year.

Far better to get quality in now than some late pick in an ordinary draft!
    doof-doof