Page 198 of 418 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248298 ... LastLast
Results 2,365 to 2,376 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    There's a lot happening on the trade rumour front this week. Taylor Duryea has had a medical with Sydney. Does that mean we'll all have to learn how to spell his surname?

Category: | Herald Sun

TAYLOR DURYEA

The Hawthorn free agent has been linked with Sydney, where it is believed he has had a medical. Has been able to play as a handy half back or also defensive forward, so might be on the move.
    Or learn how to put up with consistent turnovers. No thanks.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Article is written by Neil Cordy in the Tele, so he may have spoken to Tom
    Oh right, cheers.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Kurt Heatherley from the Hawks could be worth a rookie spot. He'll be 24 when next year starts and is still new to the game. Does anyone know much about his game?
    Pass, he's ordinary and plays key defence

I don't think we have a need, and if we did there are better options out there

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Or learn how to put up with consistent turnovers. No thanks.
    Yep, Duryea would be an underwhelming (and IMO poor) signing...

He's shown little at the Hawks, he's 27, and we already have plenty of his type.... and the ones we've got are better.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

the argument isn’t about Newman or hannes Staying !

Newman hannes and Rohan obviously want to find new opportunities elsewhere and that provides our club with an opportunity to improve

I think the argument is more about left side left footed kickers helping our transitions to be more effective........ especially when we have most likely lost two left footers in hannes and Newman this season

If Duryea and Gaff replaced the two leaving I would be very happy

If acres or P Mcartin are part of the hannes deal I can handle that as Rohan wasn’t doing anything for us this season

Hannes is not keen to stay and his performances are miles off what we need to push back to being a top 4 team

I don't see the point in recruiting more depth players. We already have enough that are walking that fine line between depth player and list clogger. I'm not sure who will be delisted, but we know some of the non-regulars will be going. What is the point of delisting somewhat like Tower or Marsh, only to use the spot to recruit someone like Duryea.

We really need to focus on top end players in trade period. Otherwise, go to the draft, where we have a pretty good hit rate, even for low draft picks.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't see the point in recruiting more depth players. We already have enough that are walking that fine line between depth player and list clogger. I'm not sure who will be delisted, but we know some of the non-regulars will be going. What is the point of delisting somewhat like Tower or Marsh, only to use the spot to recruit someone like Duryea.

We really need to focus on top end players in trade period. Otherwise, go to the draft, where we have a pretty good hit rate, even for low draft picks.
    We are not a great kicking team, probably the reason for our interest in him. If he has a tank and I'm uncertain about this, maybe a matured bodied midfield role as well while Florent etc get stronger ? Just a thought.

Agree we don't to replace list clogger's with more of the same or just top up's. If there are delistings who are young and were originally recruited for their potential, then I think they are worth a look. We need some more mature bodies with speed and skills to help our young bodies like Florent to mature with confidence. Let Towers, Marsh, Robinson, Foote go to Gold Coast for low picks

I agree Ludwig re seriously increasing talent and most importantly finding the best path to the top4 again

I suspect it’s a serious challenge to do so especially the last 5 yrs with gws and suns absorbing so much talent and then teams like Carlton , Brissie, Melbourne and saints bottoming out and taking so many awesome draft picks

The opposite was the approach by Port going bananas and so too Geelong the last few seasons recruiting $ for draft picks etc and aswe have seen doesn’t always mean success. Hawthorn almost made it work this year.

I thought Port would be very dangerous especially given the injuries to hawthorn, gws and Swans

Yet a team like the pies with equally as many injuries as any team in the Comp is now in the GF a go figure ??

There must be a balance between recruiting top talent and 50/50 opportunities like we did with mummy, Kennedy, sinclair, Mcglynn who had limited games at previous clubs but have level jumped massively at the Swans

Towers, Fox, Newman etc so so in our experiment

For me I want a lethal left footed kick out of the backline to a left footed player like gaff who can give buddy awesome entries to give us best opportunity to apply scoreboard pressure

Rampe and smith are lefties but generally man marking so can’t play the transition role which is imperative to get to the wing with the opportunity to move quickly to a leading bud

I think there isnt many options re this and a stop gap two year contract for a player like TD makes sense as at least he can truly player several roles and has a slicing left foot as good as anyone in the roles he plays

Peanuts for a player will help us in seniors

Ps the comments from an earlier poster re Newman being better then Taylor Duryea seems a little strange ?

I can’t find the 100 games highlights on YouTube of Newman ? Most of us only have seen TD play a handful of games not being hawk supporters and I thought his YouTube showed a player that is quicker, better kick and can genuinely play multiple roles in comparison

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M-c0VRnDTYQ
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 26th September 2018 at 06:33 PM.

Warming the Bench
    Seriously more left footers as I have stated before in 1997 we lost the final to the Bulldogs, after that game Wallace said that due to the Swans having so many left footers we knew which way they were going to turn so we covered that area and because left footers generally can't kick on their right side we just continually turned the ball over. 2012 GF a couple of minutes to go O'Keefe misses target ball turned over Hawthorn all in the clear ball forced out to Birchell on his right side only needs to kick the ball forward no stops can't kick right foot turns back Mattner tackles and forces the ball out. Greg Miller when recruiting manager at North once told me that if there was two players off the same ability and one was a left footer he would always choose the right footer as they could usually dispose of the ball with their opposite sides.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don’t mind Duryea. I think he’s an upgrade on most of our depth players, and while he’s not Nick Smith, I think he’s capable of minding a small forward better than Jones. He might allow Jones to move further up the ground.

We look like losing Hanners, Rohan and Newman, plus the club needs to make decisions on Foote, Rose, Robinson, Towers, Marsh and Fox. I don’t suppose they’ll all be cut but I expect a few will, and we can’t fill nine spots with teenagers and expect to contend next year unless we have a miraculous injury run. We hope the club has some higher profile experienced recruits in their sights but at the moment it is just hope.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We look like losing Hanners, Rohan and Newman, plus the club needs to make decisions on Foote, Rose, Robinson, Towers, Marsh and Fox. I don’t suppose they’ll all be cut but I expect a few will, and we can’t fill nine spots with teenagers and expect to contend next year unless we have a miraculous injury run. We hope the club has some higher profile experienced recruits in their sights but at the moment it is just hope.
    I agree Liz. We have a lot of talent on our list but the lack of experience of the new generation was exposed when Hanners, McV, KJ et al were out of the team.

We do need a few experienced players in there. Duryea has a couple of premierships so knows what he’s doing.

I hope we are also going after a couple of A grade midfielders as well as role players though.