Page 175 of 418 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275 ... LastLast
Results 2,089 to 2,100 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I agree 100%, I actually contacted Swans office to raise my concerns about the lack of info and status on injuries for all Swans players including listed and rookies. Also lack of update of info on players on club website. Look at the rookies page and see what I mean. Its like they dont care. Sad state as we supporters just want to be informed.

I have seen Dan looking happier than in that interview. Maybe he had his 'serious' look on and I am reading too much into it.
    I hope he does well with the Saints (one of my 'other' teams since way back, when they couldn't win a game, prior to them making GF's).

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It’s a reverse ROK. ROK wanted out and we forced him to stay. I think the ending to the Hanners story will be different for both player and club.
    The club didn't force ROK to stay. He was out of contract. They weren't in a position to force him to do anything (unlike Hannebery, who they can "force" to stay, if they choose. ROK stayed, willingly, after whichever club whispered in his ear promising all sorts of things didn't then pony up at the trade table.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The club didn't force ROK to stay. He was out of contract. They weren't in a position to force him to do anything (unlike Hannebery, who they can "force" to stay, if they choose. ROK stayed, willingly, after whichever club whispered in his ear promising all sorts of things didn't then pony up at the trade table.
    If was Hawthorn

Veteran Site Admin
    If was Hawthorn
    I don't believe it was. They just jumped in opportunistically when it appeared he might be available, despite not actually coming to financial terms with him, nor making a serious trade offer. I believe it was Carlton who initially whispered in his ear, possibly expecting he would walk into the PSD. But I don't have anything concrete to confirm it was Carlton, rather than some other club.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I agree 100%, I actually contacted Swans office to raise my concerns about the lack of info and status on injuries for all Swans players including listed and rookies. Also lack of update of info on players on club website. Look at the rookies page and see what I mean. Its like they dont care. Sad state as we supporters just want to be informed.
    Only problem is that the Club might not want other clubs to be informed as it may impact on the club’s trade/recruitment strategy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't believe it was. They just jumped in opportunistically when it appeared he might be available, despite not actually coming to financial terms with him, nor making a serious trade offer. I believe it was Carlton who initially whispered in his ear, possibly expecting he would walk into the PSD. But I don't have anything concrete to confirm it was Carlton, rather than some other club.
    707, do recall what RO’K told us in person?

No doubt we are planning something big - whether it has been done already a la Buddy, or we're still making plays and hoping to get something over the line is probably the more relevant question.

If you look back there are many signs we've been doing some work in the background all year:

- Tippett retires with 3 years to run on his contract (frees up some future TPP space)
    - we are very passive in our response to St Kilda publicly chasing Hannebery in season with 3 years to run on his contract (clearly we supportive of the move for a long time)
    - Lloyd has remained OOC even despite surely not having massive offers elsewhere (either he'll be squeezed out a la Mumford, or what I'd say is more likely is that we can't finalise his contract until we lock away whatever is in the pipeline)
    - Rohan and Newman likely to leave when they would be reasonable value as depth players for what we'd pay them over the next couple of years (we'll bank that TPP space, those guys will be as likely to play seniors elsewhere as they would staying with us)
    - we've been pumping games into young players to fast-track as many as we can (I'd say we know we won't be able to recruit a few decent role players due to an ongoing tight TPP, so need as many of our existing youngsters to come on and be genuine best 22 players as possible)

Rohan's case is different, but it's interesting that Hannebery also cites family reasons behind seeking a trade, yet was happy to sign a long-term contract. Even with Rohan he would have known the fate of one of his daughters last trade period, so you'd think this year would have been even more appropriate to have been closer to family.

It seems fairly likely that we initiated the Hannebery situation, at a minimum perhaps going to players on big long-term contracts and asking them to re-negotiate etc, but potentially as aggressively as saying we needed to trade someone out. That might explain some of the 'discontent' being reported - it can all die down in the end, but would open up some issues going to players and asking if they'd be open to a move (especially during the season). To me there has been far too much smoke around Parker for there to not have been any issue at all - sounds as though we've sorted it out and all is OK, but we're playing a high stakes games by the looks of it.

You also can't take anything Liam Pickering says too seriously - he was negotiating with GWS all through 2013 on the basis Buddy was available and keen to join them. Maybe that's just doing your job as an agent, but he will clearly say or do whatever is best for his client and himself for a deal to be done, and not afraid to mislead along the way.

To me all of that points to us targeting a big fish, which is fine depending on who it is - but personally I'd be targeting multiple players who might be the collateral damage from their club's pursuit Lynch, Gaff, May, Shiel etc etc. I don't think any one player can possibly fix our issues, it has been depth of quality (particularly in the midfield) that has hurt us.
    Last edited by Steve; 19th September 2018 at 09:52 PM.

This is Caroline Wilson one year later. Liz you may be right. Or it may have been the Pies or Hawthorn

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...13-ge83bh.html

“In O'Keefe's case, Collingwood never put forward a serious offer after its Brownlow night schmoozing, while Carlton and Hawthorn, particularly the latter, do not appear do have endeared themselves to Sydney after both attempted to do a deal - genuinely in Carlton's case - with the briefly disgruntled Swan.”

But ABC supports you, quoting Paul Roos as saying: "I mean if you look at a situation that Ryan [OK] was keen to go to Carlton, and they'd already committed I think pick 24 to (Robbie) Warnock, so it really leaves them with nothing more to trade.”

O'Keefe slams 'obsolete' trade week - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    So Newman is potentially moving to the club where Rhyce Shaw will be in charge of the defence. Implies a difference of opinion between Shaw and Longmire over his value.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    personally I'd be targeting multiple players who might be the collateral damage from their club's pursuit Lynch, Gaff, May, Shiel etc etc. I don't think any one player can possibly fix our issues, it has been depth of quality (particularly in the midfield) that has hurt us.
    Totally agree with this.... But I'm hopeful this is exactly the Swans tactics.

We may end up with some very handy players, who are being squeezed out of those clubs landing the so called big fish. ie Players from Richmond, Collingwood and North seem likely at this stage.

We will need to be patient in finding out I suspect, because these sort of deals generally happen late in the trade period when the big deals are already done.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

My mad Rabittohs mate Jose reckons the Swans need some fast wingmen because after Jetta left the side looks way too slow.

On the veteran's list
    So Newman is potentially moving to the club where Rhyce Shaw will be in charge of the defence. Implies a difference of opinion between Shaw and Longmire over his value.
    Concurrence does not equal causation, and concurrence does not define motivation.