Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think Zak is getting there.
    He is, though I think he does his best work in a bit of space, rather than being someone who wins the ball in the centre and then accelerates away.

Jack was the one who provided some real pace from stoppages in years gone by, but whether it's Father Time or injury that has curtailed him, his impact in this facet of the game has diminished over the last few seasons.

I know it's very early days, but I can't remember being as wowed by new player coming into the side as I have been by Ronke. Even if you put aside his Hawthorn game, the combination of pace, pressure, the ability to keep his feet and work through traffic, and his seemingly very level head, are an exciting combination. The club likened him to "a young Kieren Jack" when they drafted him and I can see him growing into the role that Kieren played so well during the early part of this decade. He's an inch or two taller than Kieren and has a slightly bigger frame. He's probably a little quicker, though Kieren's pace at his peak was very good, and he looks to share Kieren's lower body strength that enables him to evade tackles. His kicking was meant to be a weakness but it's definitely better than Jack's was at the same age (though Jack markedly improved his kicking from his first couple of years at the club). The big unknown with him, of course, is how he'll go once opposition players start recognising him and paying him some attention.

Veteran Site Admin
    This week's AFL draft podcast features a discussion around the best key forward prospects in the draft, reporting on responses given to questions by five (unnamed) recruiters. It's at the start of the podcast, so you don't need to wade through the chat with Tarryn Thomas if you don't wish to.

PODCAST: Gun Kanga-in-waiting on his super form - AFL.com.au

Not surprisingly, the names of Lukosius and the King twins pop up when the recruiters were asked about the best key forward prospects this year, but one recruiter named Blakey up there with Lukosius and another said he is going to be an (delete word) superstar. Tom McCartin also gets a bit of a mention in the discussion on recent key forwards drafted, with one recruiter quoted as saying he was the best key forward in last year's draft.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930