Page 327 of 418 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330331337377 ... LastLast
Results 3,913 to 3,924 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side
    If you have to respect every single persons right to be offended then you would never be able to post anything provocative. The photo may have been tasteless but so what, look away. Ludwig keep up the good work and continue posting questionable material. For the record I was not offended but thought that the sentiment did not really apply to the players that the Swans lost.

Any chance Weller could make his way to the Swans I think he could be a good fit??

The Swans getting a low rating on the trade period by the experts bodes well for the future. These so-called experts are usually wrong and have a very short term view of the trade period. Most view the Hawthorn getting of Wingard as a big win for them, but to me it looks to be a big loss, considering what they gave up Burton.

The experts don't understand what the Swans have been doing the past 5 years and can't foresee that players like O'Riordan and Dawson will have a big impact in coming years, although they are virtually unknown to those outside the Swans.

They also call the Swans slow as they focus on the midfield core players. This is true, but our forward line is very quick and our defence is getting quicker. Cunningham has established himself as a regular senior player. Florent, Ling and Stoddart should all become regular players should dramatically change the playing style of the team.

It's true that we are dependent on a fair number of young players to continue their development and become consistent senior players, but that's what building from the draft is all about. There will always be successes and failures. But trading players in also has its risks. Like for us, Franklin is a success, but Tippett was a fail.

I'm happy to go to the draft looking at Blakey plus picks 38, 39 and 40, and delisting one more primary list player. although I wouldn't mind if both Marsh and Robinson were delisted and we picked up a DLA or had another pick in the draft.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 18th October 2018 at 12:42 PM.

Senior Player
    I think the club has done a decent job during the trade period. Sure there was no exciting stuff. But it seems we are focusing on
    guys who really want to be at the Swans (getting rid of Hanners, Rohan, Newman etc) and we've brought in a couple new guys
    to fill in some holes. You don't need to have the flashiest list to win, we've proved that before. You just need a bunch of guys all
    on the same page and you need to not get injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm happy to go to the draft looking at Blakey plus picks 38, 39 and 40, and delisting one more primary list player. although I wouldn't mind if both Marsh and Robinson were delisted and we picked up a DLA or had another pick in the draft.
    Who would you delist? Personally I'd delist Rose or even Maibaum. Marsh and Robinson are good depth, both play a role satisfactorily when needed.

Senior Player
    Here's my (co-authored) take for the ABC, based on our HPN work - Who won and lost the 2018 AFL Trade Period? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It's not a glamorous trade period, but Sydney project well out of it in terms of total future expected value (there are graphs!).

Clarke is a big piece of that. As a 21 year old with 40 games under his belt (even at a relatively low level of value to his team), history suggests he has a lot of footy ahead of him, probably more than Hannebery and Rohan combined (Thurlow barely figures and Newman might do a lot more at Carlton than he would have here).

We have also upgraded our position in the next two drafts by a lot (that Saints 2nd rounder is a nice acquisition), basically expanding the probability we get good value out of it, and because draft position is all abstract probabilities, this is the thing observers tend to underrate.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Who would you delist? Personally I'd delist Rose or even Maibaum. Marsh and Robinson are good depth, both play a role satisfactorily when needed.
    I would definitely keep both Rose and Maibaum as they have the most potential. Rose had a great year in the reserves and Maibaum improved thoughout the year and could well get some senior games next year. I don't hold much hope for either Robinson or Marsh. I feel that if either is playing in our side, the team is not in good shape. As I said in the previous post, I wouldn't mind delisting both and using another pick in the draft, although it's likely to be quite late.

Swans best 22 has a lack of 25-29 year old players and a stack of under 25s. So next year might be down but as that younger group matures... very exciting.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW two first rounders for Beams who is 29! I know who won that trade and it wasn’t Collingwood

Not sure if anyone has seen Kinnear’s trade period summary but it was very interesting. Mentioned at the end that the Swans would look to move up the draft order with live pick trading if there is someone we rate really highly. Also said we were looking at taking 4 players in the draft including Blakey.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post
    Any chance Weller could make his way to the Swans I think he could be a good fit??
    Hope not, he's been a mediocre player for a long time at two mediocre teams

Surprisingly enough I read on the other board the Hawks are looking at him

Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post
    Damn right! Paul Weller would be a very hip upgrade to Neil Diamond.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Swans best 22 has a lack of 25-29 year old players and a stack of under 25s. So next year might be down but as that younger group matures... very exciting.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW two first rounders for Beams who is 29! I know who won that trade and it wasn’t Collingwood

Brisbane wanted to keep beams, and beams was happy to stay. They were in the box seat, so Collingwood had to pay overs.
    But collingwood think they are in the premiership window, so sacrificing the draft to chase a flag is a worthy shot.
    Similar Brisbane, they are building but wont be chasing a flag until Beams is well into his 30's. So if they offer was good, take it.

Win/Win.

GWS letting sheil go wasnt good. Apparently they had cap space to hold him. I would have held on if I were them. They are in the window.