Page 374 of 418 FirstFirst ... 274324364370371372373374375376377378384 ... LastLast
Results 4,477 to 4,488 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    They might rookie his brother as well who has a lot more talent but was unsettled during his time at the Pies.
    Heck of a lot of Marshes in Perth.

Senior Player
    Saw Dan Robinson today in a café in Albert Park Melbourne. The older guy he was with was talking to him about footy and I got the pretty strong impression he was trying to recruit him. Not sure what level of footy he was talking about. Hope things work out well for him. Gave his all in every game he played.
    Last edited by liz; 17th November 2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Please don't quote long posts in their entirety. It makes threads hard to read for those on phones or tablets. Just quote whatever is relevant to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Saw Dan Robinson today in a café in Albert Park Melbourne. The older guy he was with was talking to him about footy and I got the pretty strong impression he was trying to recruit him. Not sure what level of footy he was talking about. Hope things work out well for him. Gave his all in every game he played.
    I wonder how many de-listed or retired players actually stay in Sydney once their playing days are over. I know Rhys Shaw stayed on as an assistant coach for years but eventually went back to Melb and Tom Harley stayed because of his wife's career (I think).

I fully understand why they would go back and this is just a question and not a criticism.

Regular in the Side
    Dan Robinson, Jordan Foote and Jake Brown are all local boys who were delisted so going to Melbourne would be a new venture for any of them. Happy to wish them all well if they can get on to an AFL list anywhere.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I wonder how many de-listed or retired players actually stay in Sydney once their playing days are over. I know Rhys Shaw stayed on as an assistant coach for years but eventually went back to Melb and Tom Harley stayed because of his wife's career (I think).

I fully understand why they would go back and this is just a question and not a criticism.
    Fair question but in this case pretty sure Dan is from Sydney.

I must say that I am pleased with the way our trade and pre season has progressed to date as we have returned to our DNA, trading or signing fringe players who have not had opportunities at other clubs for a variety of reasons including injuries in Thurlows case. This faith has generally repaid us in spades. Fingers crossed we have no injuries prior to round 1!!

I am actually feeling confident of our chances in 2019 as long as we can keep our key players fit and on the park, midfield depth will remain the key and I see the addition of Heeney, Mills and Jones on a full time basis, as well as Clarke and the natural progression of our younger players in Ling (unsighted to date but with big wraps), Florent, Heywood, Stoddart, Ronke, etc. Kennedy, Parker and Bud being fit would also help.

The two Sam's, Reid and Naismith will also add a completely different dimension to our sets up and potency, IF they can stay fit.

And this isn't even allowing for us picking up a new Parker or Goodsey in the draft with our picks around the late 30's and 40.

Go Swans!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    I must say that I am pleased with the way our trade and pre season has progressed to date as we have returned to our DNA, trading or signing fringe players who have not had opportunities at other clubs for a variety of reasons including injuries in Thurlows case. This faith has generally repaid us in spades. Fingers crossed we have no injuries prior to round 1!!
    Just curious: is that Snork handle a Moomin reference?
    Last edited by liz; 17th November 2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Please don't quote long posts in their entirety. It makes threads hard to read for those on phones or tablets. Just quote whatever is relevant to your post.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Fair question but in this case pretty sure Dan is from Sydney.
    He must have lived in Sydney for a substantial period of time to qualify for the academy but he also spent at least the final year of his schooling (and maybe more years) at one of the Melbourne private schools. And his profile always listed a club other than the Swans as the club he'd grown up barracking for. (Geelong, I think, but am not sure.)

That suggests he either spent his early childhood in Victoria, or his family was originally from there, or he at least has strong family connections to Victoria.

It is my nickname, Snorkel, since Grade 4 and supporting South Melbourne from Tassie in the early 80's!

I don't often post but would be interested to see what some of the mods thoughts are from the pre season/trade period, etc, to date, particularly Liz, and our prospects for 2019? I know everyone seems to talk about Horse' game plan and our forward line but I always think it comes back to the midfield inclusive of the ruck options available.

Just as an aside, Fox were playing the 1996 Prelim vs Essendon the other day and, my god, you forget how good Paul Kelly was, geez he was hard at it, great in the air but his ball control when in dispute was amazing, wish we could stick him in our midfield now!!

Apologies for the above (lesson learnt).

Gary Buckenara has put out his latest top 50 draft picks based on talent. This is not a phantom draft on who he thinks clubs will select.

Paywall Link but can be viewed using outline.com:
    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-draft-2018-gary-buckenara-names-his-top-50-draft-prospects/news-story/fed0b035e5482fd13b98537578ea559a

He has Nick Blakey at No. 3. Sees Nick as a tremendously athletic and smart footballer who can play in a number of positions. Likens him to Jarry Roughhead (and not Buddy)

At 38 - 40 He has listed Jarred Cameron West Coast NGA,, Buku Kamis Western Bulldogs NGA and Will Hamill defender/midfielder who is compared to Kade Simpson.

41 Bolton ex Collingwood rookie who is now 26yo midfielder killing it in the WAFL. Similar player to Kane Lambert.

42 Matthew Parker a forward who has been likened to a taller Liam Ryan.

Nice to have another Bolton & Parker on our list! Will Hamill sounds like he could be on our radar.

He also lists a Toby Bedford at 33 who is in Melbourne's NGA. Curious as to whether if he is related to the great Peter Bedford in any way (plays for Dandenong Stingrays)?
    Last edited by KSAS; 18th November 2018 at 10:51 PM.

If Freo could have 3 Hills next year, why not 2 Parkers at the Swans. Also like the sound of Sydney Stack.