Page 51 of 418 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Here's something to ponder as we see McCartin clunking marks and displaying a huge work rate at AFL level.

If he was born two days later, he'd be doing this in the "hands off" U18 comp for Geelong Falcons and be talked about as a KPF gun. What pick would have needed to get him this year? McCartin is almost three years younger than the much hyped Charlie Curnow, that's a lot of time to grow into what we hope he becomes.

Nice work recruiters.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Here's something to ponder as we see McCartin clunking marks and displaying a huge work rate at AFL level.

If he was born two days later, he'd be doing this in the "hands off" U18 comp for Geelong Falcons and be talked about as a KPF gun. What pick would have needed to get him this year? McCartin is almost three years younger than the much hyped Charlie Curnow, that's a lot of time to grow into what we hope he becomes.

Nice work recruiters.
    You are right in saying it was very astute by our recruiters. It was well known that Geelong were interested in McCartin. They took Tim Kelly at pick 24, who looks a top 5 recruit at this stage, and were hoping McCartin would be around for their next pick (36), but we stepped in at #33 and got him. He looks a fantastic get.

What I find remarkable is that in the span of 2 drafts we could fill the toughest position, KPF, 3 times over, with a pick 33, a rookie pick in Joel Amartey and an Academy selection in Nick Blakey.

It's hard not to be positive about our future.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Most of Sliding Doors is just banal crap. Sometimes he throws a comment in that he maybe thinks is provocative, like this one, but I can’t recall him ever saying anything genuinely interesting.
    Notice Luke Beveridge very irate with Barrett concerning his snide innuendo about Tom Boyd. Barrett's reputation rapidly going south. Sliding Doors has become an embarrassment.

A comment on one of the footy shows (Can't remember which one) says the Swans will have to pay big money ($450,000) to keep Aliir.
    Is he out of contract?

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    A comment on one of the footy shows (Can't remember which one) says the Swans will have to pay big money ($450,000) to keep Aliir.
    Is he out of contract?
    Yes. (And Lloyd is the other big name out of contract).

I saw a headline that said $400k for 3 years. This seems about right. I said that I expect clubs to be offering something like $500k pa on a long term deal. If he gets $400 - $450 pa and 3 years, he should be okay to stay. I'm worried that his price will keep rising as the season goes on. He would be a FA at the end of a 3 year deal and then can look for his big deal.

Afl.com.au's verdict on our veterans Stick or twist? The verdict on your club's over 30s - AFL.com.au
    Not sure I agree with all of this, particularly McVeigh and possibly Grundy

Lance Franklin
    The superstar will turn 32 before the start of next season, but is still the most dangerous forward in the game and has lost none of his weapons. STAY

Heath Grundy
    Just turned 32 and out of contract, the key defender is playing well enough to go again, but his form for the rest of the season, and the club's success in landing an established player post-season, is likely to decide his future. STAY

Kieren Jack
    Has played a role again up forward but has battled his body again and is under increasing pressure from younger teammates to keep his spot. Contracted next year, but retirement could be an option if he's not in John Longmire's plans. GO

Josh Kennedy
    The skipper hasn't been his dominant self around the footy at times this year, but he's still the team's barometer and is contracted until the end of 2020. STAY

Jarrad McVeigh
    Showed some impressive form before suffering a broken collarbone in round 16. His leadership is crucial, and he still sets the standards around the club. Deserves another one-year deal. STAY

Nick Smith
    An unrestricted free agent at season's end, the lockdown small defender is still one of the best in the competition and will be a Swan for the rest of his career. STAY - Adam Curley

I tend to think that Jack has lost his zip and his body is beat up. I think he has one year left on his contract but he may “retire” at the end of the season. McVeigh is interesting and let’s see what happens at season’s end. Clearly Alir and Lloyd are priority resignings but plenty of interest in them. I doubt that any other clubs would want to give up too much for Hannaberry on the back of his form in the past 2 years. While it is probably due to injury it would be risky to take him on with a big contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warming the Bench
    If the AFL bring in some of the rule changes that clubs have been practicing especially the forwards starting in the forward line Grundy may struggle to keep up with the leading forward. He goes really well when he is man on man but when it comes to a leading players he has always struggled to keep up with them. If they want less congestion we are going to need more pace around the mid field as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    If the AFL bring in some of the rule changes that clubs have been practicing especially the forwards starting in the forward line Grundy may struggle to keep up with the leading forward. He goes really well when he is man on man but when it comes to a leading players he has always struggled to keep up with them. If they want less congestion we are going to need more pace around the mid field as well.
    We only have to look at our last 2 drafts to see where we are going. Florent, Hayward, Ronke, Fox, Ling, Stoddart and McCartin. And that's just a partial list. 7 quick players who are all likely to feature big in 2019. It woudn't make sense for the Swans to play their old stoppage and slow the game down footy with the kind of players we now have. There's really no turning back. We actually don't have the young players to turn back the clock. We need to accelerate the process rather than slow it down.

Even planning for the finals this year, it's fair to assume that a team will at some stage have to beat Richmond at the MCG to win the premiership. I can't see how Grundy should play against Richmond. There's no matchup for him and he just slows us down against a hard running quick side. It doesn't mean that Grundy hasn't been a great player for a long time. The reality is that it just doesn't work in this year's premiership quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I tend to think that Jack has lost his zip and his body is beat up. I think he has one year left on his contract but he may “retire” at the end of the season. McVeigh is interesting and let’s see what happens at season’s end. Clearly Alir and Lloyd are priority resignings but plenty of interest in them. I doubt that any other clubs would want to give up too much for Hannaberry on the back of his form in the past 2 years. While it is probably due to injury it would be risky to take him on with a big contract.
    This week Longmire said he didn't expect Macca to play on this year, so I'd be surprised if he goes around next year as a player Longmire reveals coaching plans for veteran Swan McVeigh

Longmire says he will sit down with the 33-year-old to discuss his playing future at the end of the year.

“Last year I probably didn’t expect him to play on this year and then things changed because he played quite well and we came to an agreement at the end of the year,” he told SEN’s Time On.

“I had a chat to him last week and we’ll sit down closer to the end of the year or at the end of the year and have a chat about next year if we need to. That’s where it sits, I have a great relationship with Macca. He’s an ex-captain and has a great football brain who’s had a really good season. Those discussions will happen at the appropriate time.

“We’ve got him contracted beyond his playing career to coach at the Sydney Swans. We’re really looking forward to that period whenever that may come. He’s been a fantastic addition to this footy club on and off the field and we’re looking forward to that for many years to come because we really rate Jarrad extremely highly.”

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We only have to look at our last 2 drafts to see where we are going. Florent, Hayward, Ronke, Fox, Ling, Stoddart and McCartin. And that's just a partial list. 7 quick players who are all likely to feature big in 2019. It woudn't make sense for the Swans to play their old stoppage and slow the game down footy with the kind of players we now have. There's really no turning back. We actually don't have the young players to turn back the clock. We need to accelerate the process rather than slow it down.

Even planning for the finals this year, it's fair to assume that a team will at some stage have to beat Richmond at the MCG to win the premiership. I can't see how Grundy should play against Richmond. There's no matchup for him and he just slows us down against a hard running quick side. It doesn't mean that Grundy hasn't been a great player for a long time. The reality is that it just doesn't work in this year's premiership quest.
    Hmm. Yes, that's a good point re Grundy. I think they were test driving that option. Marsh isn't a great replacement, but at least he's quickish.

Even with that change, we have issues against Richmond, judging from Riewoldt's domination against us a few weeks ago. I think Melican may be the best match up, but he's looking unlikely to be fit. That only leaves Rampe - I suspect Riewoldt will carve up Aliir on the lead again - which then distracts Rampe from the more creative role we would prefer he plays.

We will never be able to match sun's or Carlton's offer to McVeigh, so we should concentrate his cap space on allir