Page 314 of 418 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324364414 ... LastLast
Results 3,757 to 3,768 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I think we all suffer from FOMO during trade week. I can remember being gutted we didn’t go after Colin Sylvia amongst others. It’s still disappointing not to be playing with the other kids at the Trade week party.

With live trading of picks ... how late can the club decide to delist players? After the draft?

Say Swans go into the draft with our current hand and a pick comes late for Blakey.

Could we then decide to draft 5 players and delist to make space. Whereas if a bid comes early we may only take 2-3 in the draft.

Can we adjust our list during the draft

Veterans List
    We've strengthened our draft hand and moved on two players most on here didn't have as best 22 players and freed up a shed load of cap space. I'm not fretting about not getting some more fringe players.

What we've done is IMO a strategic re-positioning of the list for the medium term, playing the long game I reckon.

Hawks have been involved in a couple of smelly deals, Scully in particular, a heap of teams would have taken him for a better return than a pick GWS probably won't use. GWS must have badly stuffed their cap, who's to blame? They're really on the treadmill of diminishing returns now.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think we all suffer from FOMO during trade week. I can remember being gutted we didn’t go after Colin Sylvia amongst others. It’s still disappointing not to be playing with the other kids at the Trade week party.

With live trading of picks ... how late can the club decide to delist players? After the draft?

Say Swans go into the draft with our current hand and a pick comes late for Blakey.

Could we then decide to draft 5 players and delist to make space. Whereas if a bid comes early we may only take 2-3 in the draft.

Can we adjust our list during the draft
    The short answer is no. There's a list lodgement deadline before the draft. But given that the club has run with a list of 38 in the past, it has some flexibility to draft more players than it intends to (assuming it enters the draft with an intention to keep the list at 38).

I think you can technically delist a player after the ND but it's generally not done. I guess it's pretty poor form not to be upfront with players and allow them the best opportunity to shop themselves around as DFAs or to nominate for the draft. And nowadays there are only a few days between the ND and the pre-season/rookie drafts anyway.

Veteran Site Admin
    Anyone feeling envious of Hawthorn's recruitment of Scrimshaw at a bargain basement price should have a read of this.

Bargain or bust? Question marks over new Hawk - AFL.com.au

Not the fairly strange comparisons to Pendlebury (for someone who's played so little senior football) but more for observations like this:

Gold Coast teammates aired their disappointment on one occasion when instead of engaging in what was supposed to be an educational viewing experience at an AFL match, Scrimshaw played games on his phone.
    I've watched a good handful of NEAFL games against the Suns over the last two years and I'd struggle to think of one occasion when I noticed Scrimshaw (and I know he played in at least some of those games).

Good luck to the guy. Hope a change of scene helps things click for him, but I won't be holding my breath.

I think the issue for me is non alignment to what was explained to Media / supporters

Harley defined key areas that we needed and given we have 24hrs left I’m not sold that is zero is happening

We can go to the players we want re medicals they don’t have to come to us

So this can escape the media

Our targets as described by Harley in this trade period to help our 22 for 2019

mid gut running.....remedy was R.clarke to replace hannes

Outside run - nil

And a key position player - nil

We seriously considered 4 players and some with medicals

Duryea
    vandenberg
    Moore
    Langdon

Harley articulated that Langdon would free up run and midfield depth in Jones and mills so this was a fairly important addition to our 22

So what is plan B

Plan A was not achieved

2019 has specific areas to be addressed and they have not so far been met......will they be delivered by tomorrow

Maybe ?

The downside is frustrating though because we do need the areas described above and an improving list to compete with other teams like hawks, kangas, bombers etc improving quite a bit indeed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    They'd also have invented the espresso machine before the wheel.
    Careful.....some of us south of the border barrack for the Swans......but you're right, coffee is our thing! We have one of the best roasters in the state, no, the entire country, right here in Castlemaine!

Kade Kolodjashnij is one we haven’t talked about and meets our needs ?

190cm silky left footer HBF on transition and still available for a pick 26 or 33 easily if not later I would think

Like a Malceski and faster outside run

He is finally clear of all his physical issues and played brilliantly vs the swans

Melbourne demons wants him ......and why would they not? ........he is a best 22 improver at full health

Demons are juggling massively their recruits etc .......but we have cap space and picks that would be enticing vs demons

Kade Kolodjashnij - goldcoastfc.com.au

https://youtu.be/iSxXIq5HZoE

If things remain as they are now, I would be a bit disappointed in not recruiting either Langdon or vandenBerg, but both preferred to stay with their clubs and you can't blame them for that. I'm thankful that Jake Lloyd also preferred to stay with his club as well. Better to have all three stay than all three switch. Jake Lloyd would have had his problems at Gold Coast anyway. He would have had to give up the coveted number 44 jumper as Gold Coast have so few players left that their jumper numbers only go up to #9.

So it looks as though we will just go to the draft, get Blakey and a couple of late 2nd rounders instead of Langdon and vandenBerg. Maybe it will turn out for the best.

We still have some good options to replace Mills and Jones in defence. COR will definitely become a regular in the senior side. I can see Blakey taking on Mills' role. His height will be a real advantage. I like us with a tall and agile defence, which we will have with Melican, Allir, Blakey, Rampe, COR and Lloyd. Ling and Stoddart will have to start somewhere as well, either in defence or the wing. And for next year, we still have Macca, Smith and Reg. We can still look to fill the gaps in next year's post season.

Scrimshaw may be a high draft pick but so was Jonathan O'Rourke and that didn't turn out so well. Maybe the Hawks look at trading low for a high draft pick in the same way that clubs must look at drafting. It's a numbers game. Not everyone you bring into the club is going to work out, but if you hit the target %age then you are ahead.

Steven May is noticeable by the lack of restrictions he's placed on GCS. Credit to him for that at least. I do think if players request to break contracts on the grounds of the "go home factor" that the incumbent club should have some opportunity to get the best deal possible. Either that or it's determined by a third party. Maybe not. I can imagine how transparent and objective that would (not) be.

I like the idea of tearing up contracts and making "go home" players like free agents, except their new clubs have to pay whatever is deemed to be fair for them in the same way a club would match an academy or f/s bid, but without a discount.

That's probably a ridiculous idea!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Don't agree. Bad trades are worse than no trades at all. What is the point of clearing out Rohan and Hanneberry then trading back in players who are less valuable list cloggers? We couldn't trade our best pick because we are already assured of a gun in return. Vandenberg and Langdon both WANTED to stay at their present clubs and were only looking for alternatives IF family issues or contract issues couldn't be resolved. Duryea is less valuable that Newman, so what's the use of going hard after him. I don't think we have overtly chased a player from another club and then been beaten by anyone but the incumbent, who is always 90% sure to retain those players they WANT.

I would be disappointed if we had made trades and finished up with St Kilda or Geelong marginal or seconds players. May, McRae, Lynch, Shiel, McCartin etc were never on our radar so they can't be deemed failures.
    Fair enough. Depends on how you judge it. Wasn't suggesting we go on a list clogger drafting frenzy.

I was judging it against Harleys stated goals and the extent we improved our list. I am sure Harley will learn to be more circumspect in future.

They removed a cost of living allowance and now we find it hard to attract high performance players. Surprise surprise.

Another comment is that the decision to offer hanners a long contract on top dollars and then offload him deserves some scrutiny.

Fwiw I'm actually happy some.of our developing players will have a real opportunity, although a bad run with injuries in 2019 would be dire indeed. We are going to have a very young list with a few oldies. Time for some new leaders to.step.up.

We'll be offering AJ a 5 year contract before the years out. mark my words.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Official. Tom Scully to Hawthorn for a future 4th round pick... the pick they got given by GC for taking Scrimshaw off their hands for a future 3rd round pick... what a joke...
    If it was the Sydney Swans doing this Eddy Everywhere would be up in arms and we would be prohibited from trading in any players at all in the following year. The AFL should be taking a close look at the Hawks' salary cap, it must be under some pressure.

I agree, it's a joke!
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final