Page 285 of 414 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335385 ... LastLast
Results 3,409 to 3,420 of 4964

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

  1. #3409
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,933
    HPN values Tom Langdon at pick 32, so our pick 33 would be closest if a trade were to happen, but 26 wouldn't be far off the mark either, especially given his strong finish to the season.

    But they rate Steven May at pick 37!?

    Any Ryan Clarke at pick 13.

  2. #3410
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    5,017
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    we get screwed again. Happens all the time the swans must be almost the worst group when dealing with trades, maybe we should have gone for dogoro (I know its spelt wrong but the
    Essendon guy) or perhaps the Hawks guy or get Pelchen in to teach our traders. To trade hanners for vitually nought is scandalous Blakely would want to be a champion. I am tempted to give up my membership (currently over 50 years) I am disgusted with this. I guess we want get Langdon which makes it worse. The Swans need to be advised of the outrage from most supporters. Piock 30 was bad enough but to give up Hanners and pick 28 is outrageous.
    I'm sure most of the senior Swans are reading this thread with tears in their eyes.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  3. #3411
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    we get screwed again. Happens all the time the swans must be almost the worst group when dealing with trades, maybe we should have gone for dogoro (I know its spelt wrong but the
    Essendon guy) or perhaps the Hawks guy or get Pelchen in to teach our traders. To trade hanners for vitually nought is scandalous Blakely would want to be a champion. I am tempted to give up my membership (currently over 50 years) I am disgusted with this. I guess we want get Langdon which makes it worse. The Swans need to be advised of the outrage from most supporters. Piock 30 was bad enough but to give up Hanners and pick 28 is outrageous.

    The HPN analysis is illuminating and seems fair. I'm disappointed that it has ended this way for Hanners, but not particularly upset. Robbed of the Norm Smith medal in the 2012 GF, and for so long seemed like the beating heart of the club. But his shoulders have long been banged up, and the OP has severely restricted him. This season was dreadful, even when he was purportedly getting back to fitness. Horrible disposals, and although there were quarters where he seemed back to his endurance running, he wasn't impacting upon the game.

    I'm prepared to back Harley et al here. A tough call, but the decision was clearly made some time ago that he was not part of the future of the club. I remember feeling this way about Malceski when he went to the Suns, but in retrospect it seems that it was a sensible decision to let him go. I wish him all the best, though: loved watching him in his pomp, and I remind myself that I always retained a soft spot for Schneider and Dempster at the Saints.

  4. #3412
    The Hanners trade in hindsight will either look like genius or stupidity.

    If he keeps turning in 2018 type performances, they'll have blown $800k a year on a non-performing "star"
    If the 2016 version re-appears, it would be a historically bad trade by the Swans. Potentially worse in hindsight than Mitchell or Nankervis.

    The Swans clearly believe the old Hanners is not coming back.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I have to share this quote re: Barrett from Trade Talk - AFL.com.au

    "Damian Barrett is perhaps the best footy journalist in the country and his Sliding Doors column is always full of nuggets."

  5. #3413
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
    So what’s likely to happen to Nick Newman now Norths appear to have lost interest?
    Harley hinted on Wednesday that we might rookie him if he isn't picked up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Tend to agree with this. The club obviously intimately involved and witnessed his demise very close up. In saying that it is all out the window if he has a cracker season next year !
    Yes, I'm sure they made the decision they thought to be in the best interests of the club on the available information.

  6. #3414
    Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
    So what’s likely to happen to Nick Newman now Norths appear to have lost interest?
    They’re holding out for us to trade Newman and pick 26 for whatever future 5th rounder they care to throw at us

  7. #3415
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The Hanners deal just shows how desperate we were to trade him out. I thought we would have gotten a little more than that!

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I agree with you here. The question in my mind is why the Swans were so desperate to get the trade done??? I suspect the Swans know more about Dan than anyone else. The big question is whether Dan can regain his form from 2016 and earlier. If he can't then he becomes and overpriced white elephant for St Kilda. I guess it depends on which side of the fence you sit. My view is that Dan is cooked. I think the Swans have passed an 800k 4 year problem onto St Kilda.

  8. #3416
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    5,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The Hanners trade in hindsight will either look like genius or stupidity.

    If he keeps turning in 2018 type performances, they'll have blown $800k a year on a non-performing "star"
    If the 2016 version re-appears, it would be a historically bad trade by the Swans. Potentially worse in hindsight than Mitchell or Nankervis.

    The Swans clearly believe the old Hanners is not coming back.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I have to share this quote re: Barrett from Trade Talk - AFL.com.au

    "Damian Barrett is perhaps the best footy journalist in the country and his Sliding Doors column is always full of nuggets."
    Are they referring to ginormous brown nuggets, that are usually flushed down a toilet....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  9. #3417
    Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
    So what’s likely to happen to Nick Newman now Norths appear to have lost interest?
    North.

  10. #3418
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    HPN values Tom Langdon at pick 32, so our pick 33 would be closest if a trade were to happen, but 26 wouldn't be far off the mark either, especially given his strong finish to the season.

    But they rate Steven May at pick 37!?

    Any Ryan Clarke at pick 13.
    Hi, I'm actually one of the authors here. To clarify, May's gonna be 27 in January and history says he's good for missing a half dozen games every year, so that hurts him on an accumulative valuation system. When/if he gets traded for more than that, it's a sign he's getting a premium because of breaking contract, and that the club is thinking more short term improvement to the list than longer term payoffs.
    Last edited by R-1; 12th October 2018 at 01:45 PM.

  11. #3419
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The Saints will finish higher than the Swans. We're in the Premiership Spoondow.

    Looks like there will be a new symbol for the Battle of the Bridge next year.

    Mate you've been spruiking our depth and up and coming midfield for a while. Why the sudden change in heart.

  12. #3420
    Venn diagrams? The shape of points graphs?

    Any Unis offering degree courses in Trade Week yet?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO