Page 179 of 418 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 2,137 to 2,148 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    I know we don't have a shortage of small forwards but what about this kid? Tyson Stengle, nephew of Micky O. Looks like if he doesn't stay at the Tigers he may go home to Adelaide but might be worth a look.

The next Eddie? Crows eye Tiger small forward - AFL.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Giants open to offers on contracted defender - AFL.com.au

Finlayson anyone?

It seems that the Swans have been sounding out key defenders for this upcoming trade period. Regardless if we think a combination of Melican, Aliir and Rampe can get the job done post-Reg (with Maibaum a maybe), it seems that the club thinks otherwise - hence the rumoured targeting of Jonas and/or Moore (or maybe even May). Finlayson would be cheaper than any of those at the trade table and also in the salary cap (at least in the short term). He's not quite a developed player yet but he kicks well (and long) and defensively seems OK.

I don't know whether GWS will ever willingly trade with the Swans but he has the benefit of already being in Sydney. And I've almost forgiven him for the hit on Jones that arguably cost the NEAFL team a premiership in 2016.
    The article does say "few players his height boast such elite foot skills"
    I'd add to that "few players at the Swans boast elite foot skills"
    He's 196cm. Sounds promising.
    If they are wanting to offload him for salary cap reasons, so may not demand too much for him.

When Finlayson was out of contract last year I said that we should go after him. He only played one game by then and I think he got injured in the game. The Giants have a stack of KPDs, and he's probably not on big money, considering how much they have to pay their stars.

Jack Hombsch is the other (ex-Giant) KPD that's on the market that we might enquire about.

I think both are better options than going after Darcy Moore. Finlayson is a massive kick of the ball and with the extended goal square would be able to launch the ball past the centre circle. He's also very quick, but is even more error prone than Aliir at this early stage of his career. Stay Home factor might come into play if there's competition for his services, which I imagine there might be.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 21st September 2018 at 02:26 PM.

Finlayson would be an astute buy at the right price. Height (196cm), speed and a good kick. In time could develop into a Nick Hayne's like player. He is also a Sydney boy, having been drafted from Sydney Hills. We could certainly do with a bit more off half back, especially given all our issues transitioning out of defense and players like Finlayson could definitely help. The club would be mad not to be looking at him.

Re. player unrest, moving on long term players like Hanners, Rohan and AJ is always going to cause some disharmony. I think this will settle as the bigger picture becomes apparent and the remaining swans get a look at what hopefully, will be a lineup that is more likely to challenge next year.

Jezza Finlayson is not the direct I would move in if the outcome is to have a better balance in our backline

I would rather Dawson off the HBF rotation then slow old finlayson

AG, RD says he’s quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Jezza Finlayson is not the direct I would move in if the outcome is to have a better balance in our backline

It's an honest mistake, but I suspect you might have confused Jerermy Finlayson with the deceased actor James Finlayson. Jeremy Finlayson is the one without the mustache.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 21st September 2018 at 03:47 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    For those that think Finlayson is slow

Finalyson's Run-Down Tackle - GWSGIANTS.com.au

Finlayson would be a great get.

Though I get the feeling GWS would make it as hard as possible for him to join the Swans
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

Dawson isn't especially quick. Finlayson would be a fair bit quicker, I reckon. In any case, we need Dawson floating across half-forward where his marking and long, accurate goal kicking can be at their greatest advantage.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Finlayson would be an astute buy at the right price. Height (196cm), speed and a good kick. In time could develop into a Nick Hayne's like player. He is also a Sydney boy, having been drafted from Sydney Hills.
    He's not really a Sydney boy. He's from somewhere in the Riverina I think. That vague direction, anyway. He moved up to Sydney in his last couple of years in the Giants academy though, so maybe he's starting to feel at home in Sydney.

I heard a rumour that Tom Mitchell wants a trade back to Sydney.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.