Page 40 of 418 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Hi Liz
    If Lloyd is rated as B grade ? How many players are rated as A grade at the Swans? How many B grade ?

Clarkson rates lloyd as one of the most important players at the Swans !

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Hi Liz
    If Lloyd is rated as B grade ? How many players are rated as A grade at the Swans? How many B grade ?

If he goes I hope it is not to Hawthorn.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Hi Liz

Yeah, I agree with that. I agreed with everything in Liz's post too......except that bit. Lloyd's 'A-grade' to me. He is the future McVeigh. We must keep him.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 24th June 2018 at 12:08 AM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Everyone's entitled to grade players according to their own criteria, and to answer AG's question, I don't spend much time categorising Swans players into various grades. But I think of A graders as players with match winning capabilities, or superb defensive abilities.

Lloyd is small (not just height, but build) and not especially quick. He can kick goals from 50m but he tends not to kick long or fast through the air with his field kicking. He doesn't go on line breaking, player-dodging runs. He doesn't routinely play on, and shut down, dangerous opponents. He doesn't win a lot of contested ball, or tackle ferociously. What he does do is run hard all game, get into the right spot an awful lot of the time, and keeps his head and his cool. He's found a role that suits his attributes and plays it very well and consistently. But I don't see him as the kind of player you would build a team around. He works in the role he plays because of the system within which he finds himself. That's why I classify him as 'B' grade. That's not intended as a put-down. Good teams need a solid group of B graders who allow the flashier players to do their thing.

Liz , a very measured response as always. Personaly i am torn on Loyd or as BT has dubbed him LLLLLOOOOYYYYDDDDDDD...

I feel he fits into the swans system, allowing him to excel with the talents he has. Will he be as effective in the hawks or pies? Maybe, possibly not.. we saw this with lever.

I feel he is like nick smith, u probably wont realise his true worth too the team until he is injured or gone. I hope we keep him but fear his papers arr stamped. Hope im wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Lloyd is small (not just height, but build) and not especially quick. He can kick goals from 50m but he tends not to kick long or fast through the air with his field kicking. He doesn't go on line breaking, player-dodging runs. He doesn't routinely play on, and shut down, dangerous opponents. He doesn't win a lot of contested ball, or tackle ferociously. What he does do is run hard all game, get into the right spot an awful lot of the time, and keeps his head and his cool. He's found a role that suits his attributes and plays it very well and consistently. But I don't see him as the kind of player you would build a team around. He works in the role he plays because of the system within which he finds himself. That's why I classify him as 'B' grade. That's not intended as a put-down. Good teams need a solid group of B graders who allow the flashier players to do their thing.
    Although going sentence by sentence, what you say is mostly true, taken as a whole, it provides an incorrect assessment of Jake Lloyd and one would come away thinking he is a lesser player than he actually is.

I'm not much for grading players with letters, but I do feel that Jake is a key component of the team and a player who is sorely missed when he's out of the side. In the long stretch of games last year from round 7 to the elimination final, the Swans lost only 2 games, both to the Hawks, and these were the 2 games that Lloyd missed, including the one when he was knocked out early in the game.

One wouldn't start an assessment of Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko or Devon Smith by saying they were small, as it would give a false impression of the kind of players they are.

I think that Lloyd is an intelligent player who makes very good decisions, is an evasive runner with high endurance and executes his skills to a very high level. He positions himself well to be a key component of the Swans' game plan. He's a high possession winner and does it on a consistent basis. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game either. He does everything one would ask of a player in the role that he plays. He is a serious contender for All Australian this year.

I noticed that Tom Lynch (ADE) just signed a new contract. He was a bit cranky about his initial contract offer too. It's hard to put a number on what Lloyd should get in a new contract. Flashy players get the big money, which the stalwarts seem to get overlooked a bit. I think it will work out in the end and Jake will be with the club for a long time to come.

I certainly hope Lloyd is re-signed, and soon so as to avoid the inevitable media nonsense that must be even slightly unsettling to the Club.

Lloyd has always impressed me by his work rate and ability to find the space to be an option for a team mate. It is an ability quite rare - Tom Mitchell also has it , but not too many.

I would hate to think Lloyd won�t be at the Swans next year. Very important player

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Although going sentence by sentence, what you say is mostly true, taken as a whole, it provides an incorrect assessment of Jake Lloyd and one would come away thinking he is a lesser player than he actually is.

I'm not much for grading players with letters, but I do feel that Jake is a key component of the team and a player who is sorely missed when he's out of the side. In the long stretch of games last year from round 7 to the elimination final, the Swans lost only 2 games, both to the Hawks, and these were the 2 games that Lloyd missed, including the one when he was knocked out early in the game.

One wouldn't start an assessment of Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko or Devon Smith by saying they were small, as it would give a false impression of the kind of players they are.

I think that Lloyd is an intelligent player who makes very good decisions, is an evasive runner with high endurance and executes his skills to a very high level. He positions himself well to be a key component of the Swans' game plan. He's a high possession winner and does it on a consistent basis. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game either. He does everything one would ask of a player in the role that he plays. He is a serious contender for All Australian this year.

I noticed that Tom Lynch (ADE) just signed a new contract. He was a bit cranky about his initial contract offer too. It's hard to put a number on what Lloyd should get in a new contract. Flashy players get the big money, which the stalwarts seem to get overlooked a bit. I think it will work out in the end and Jake will be with the club for a long time to come.

Good summary. Heady player with a huge tank. Integral part of the team and I hope he stays.

I've got feet in both camps regarding Lloyd. I think he is a terrific player who plays his role perfectly for the Swans. I want him to stay.

However, ultimately, in the context of a salary cap, every player has to be considered a commodity with a value placed on them. Regardless of whether they are "A" grade or "depth player", it is prudent for the club to keep to those values. In short, if Lloyd is asking for significantly more money than what the club values him at, he will need to go.

Jake Lloyd was equal second in the Bob Skilton Medal last year and is probably playing better this year. Given that our club knows our players best and what roles they are performing that probably means that he is the 2nd/3rd most important player at the club.

I'm sure the club will be able to come up with a reasonable offer for him. I just hope they he considers it as being reasonable.

We can�t lose Jake Lloyd! If for no other reason than Star Wars Day (May the 4th) falls on a weekend in 2019 and I�ll finally get to wear the t-shirt I just had made!

If Jake Lloyd turns to the Dark Side (ANY other club) then our Jake will have followed the path of his namesake!