Page 340 of 418 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340341342343344350390 ... LastLast
Results 4,069 to 4,080 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Both March and Robinson were solid B graders and excellent depth. Hope both / either can find new homes.

Robinson did finish off the season well and would have been kept in my team for emergency...

- - - Updated - - -

Both March and Robinson were solid B graders and excellent depth. Hope both / either can find new homes.

Robinson did finish off the season well and would have been kept in my team for emergency...

PS excellent spreadsheet R1

Warming the Bench
    We only have 7 players left on our list that were playing for us in 2012.
    That is a big clean out.

Robinson and Marsh delisted because they will never improve or add value if playing for Swans. Better to give more playing time to O'Riordan and Dawson who are promising as well as Stoddart and Ling who obviously have real potential given more experience.

I like it when your insights are insightful, Barry. They're better than the other kind.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Robinson and Marsh delisted because they will never improve or add value if playing for Swans. Better to give more playing time to O'Riordan and Dawson who are promising as well as Stoddart and Ling who obviously have real potential given more experience.
    This is the crux of the issue. They both came close, but just fell short and there's no point on taking it further. They will never become best 22 players and are more likely to fall well beyond the best 30.

Marsh started as a midfielder, but was converted to a defender when he failed to improve. He showed progress over the years, but the bottom line is that he's simply not a good defender. He's too slow reading the play, letting his man get a decisive jump on him.

Robinson has a solid all around game, but doesn't play with enough intensity. With his skill level, he has to go all out and try to make things happen.

It woud seem with delisting both players there could be an open spot on the list for a DFA or perhaps even another draft pick. I can't see why we would upgrade Fox, but it's an option.

Goes up to 11
    In reality Robbo was never hanging around after this year. He should have finished his uni studies around now, and he'll be looking to a career after footy. Congrats on being a trooper in your time at the Swans.

I think Marsh might offer some value to a team like the Suns but he'd be more likely to go to the WAFL (or stay in the NEAFL?) next year.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

It woud seem with delisting both players there could be an open spot on the list for a DFA or perhaps even another draft pick. I can't see why we would upgrade Fox, but it's an option.
    ?

Unless I've miscounted, we've cut seven players from the senior list and added two. That leaves five spots, which matches with Beatson's comment that the club intends to draft Blakey + three players (and we know that Ronke will be upgraded).

There are the two additional spots on the senior list that could be used, but the club has run with 38 for so many seasons now that it would be a surprise if they changed for 2019.

The announcement of these two delistings presumably means that Maibaum, Rose, Fox and Pink will remain on the list for another season. It doesn't make much sense to announce further delistings in dribs and drabs.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The announcement of these two delistings presumably means that Maibaum, Rose, Fox and Pink will remain on the list for another season. It doesn't make much sense to announce further delistings in dribs and drabs.
    Is Pink really worth persisting with?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Is Pink really worth persisting with?
    I've already made my thoughts known on that question, but I guess the Swans must see something untapped in him.

Regular in the Side
    We have cut 8. Tippett Towers Foote Hannebery Rohan Newman Marsh and Robinson unless we have to keep Tippett for another year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is the crux of the issue. They both came close, but just fell short and there's no point on taking it further. They will never become best 22 players and are more likely to fall well beyond the best 30.

Marsh started as a midfielder, but was converted to a defender when he failed to improve. He showed progress over the years, but the bottom line is that he's simply not a good defender. He's too slow reading the play, letting his man get a decisive jump on him.

Robinson has a solid all around game, but doesn't play with enough intensity. With his skill level, he has to go all out and try to make things happen.

Spot on, in my view.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    We have cut 8. Tippett Towers Foote Hannebery Rohan Newman Marsh and Robinson unless we have to keep Tippett for another year.
    My error. You're correct (and was Ludwig). Not sure who I missed when I counted.

The article on the AFL site (probably the same as the one on the Swans' site) confirms that Tippett has been removed from the list.

I won't be surprised if that spot is filled by promoting Fox to the senior list. Alternatively, there could be a DFA that appeals to the club. Last time I looked the Suns hadn't finalised their list, and Jack Leslie was listed as still awaiting a new contract. He played some really good football as a key defender in 2017 but didn't seem to be favoured by Dew in 2018. He played the final few games of the season but that might have been due to injuries, as much as anything. He's one who could be a handy pick-up, especially given Harley said at the start of the trade period that trading for a key defender was an objective.