Page 89 of 418 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,057 to 1,068 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I have loved Hanners over the years and he has been a great loyal servant of the club, dare I say champion when in his prime! But the Hanners I see now is a shadow of that player. Yes I'm certain that injuries are playing a part but it will never change the fact that his kicking skills are average at best, and to be more pointed they are just plain poor.

It would be an absolute miracle if St. Kilda give up pick 4 or 5 or whatever they will have this year and I'd imagine the St. Kilda pages on social media would go berserk if they gave that up on a busted up former champion. But if they were silly enough to part with that pick we would be mad not to take it as it could set us up through this draft for the next decade.

Like I said at the start, I love Hanners and what he has given us. But football is basically a business these days and if you can get a good deal on a old for new upgrade then you have to take it!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I've just noticed that the Giants have players from Pennant Hiils in their academy. I thought that was our zone. Very annoying considering the time we've invested in that area over the decades.

On the Rookie List
    If St. Kilda want to give up pick 4 or 5 for Hanneberry we should take it. We would come out of the draft with two top 10 picks (assuming no one bids on Blakey before pick 4 or 5) that will give us some high end talent for years to come and it would give us some immediate salary cap relief to go after a free agent.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I've just noticed that the Giants have players from Pennant Hiils in their academy. I thought that was our zone. Very annoying considering the time we've invested in that area over the decades.
    I think the suburb is just in our zone (being in the Hornsby region) but the Pennant Hills club has a catchment area that includes suburbs west of the divide. Here's a map showing how Sydney is divided up. It's an old map, in that includes NSW border regions that are no longer in the Giants' zone, but that doesn't affect the Sydney division.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%2...ning%20Map.pdf

Hanners is under contract. I know that doesn't mean much, but at the end of the day he's under contract.
    St Kilda would have to pay his contract out, wouldn't they?
    If they're looking for someone who has an atrocious effective disposal rate, he's their man.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Mills is already a star.
    +1

Seems like we are heading to a Ryan O'Keefe type of moment with Hanners. He was an All Australian, 2x premiership winner but under contract. We weren't offered enough and he stayed. That said he wanted to go to the Hawks so really a lose lose. Sydney have a long history of making fair trades with the Saints. He's not worth pick 4 alone. Maybe they bundle him up with a promising young player or agree to pay part of his salary but if Hanners wants to go I think the Swans will find a way to make it happen.

Veterans List
    I don't think we have any promising young players we would want to give up.

Veterans List
    See Essendon has cut Jackson Merret. This after Goddard got the flick. They are making space on their list very early. Making a bid for someone perhaps?

Senior Player
    Think we shopped St Jude around at some point prior to the 2012 premiership didn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I don't think we have any promising young players we would want to give up.
    They are a bit short in the rucking department so how about Darcy Cameron? Can't expect him to play NEAFL much longer else, if you want to keep him, offer up Naismith.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Seems like we are heading to a Ryan O'Keefe type of moment with Hanners. He was an All Australian, 2x premiership winner but under contract. We weren't offered enough and he stayed. That said he wanted to go to the Hawks so really a lose lose. Sydney have a long history of making fair trades with the Saints. He's not worth pick 4 alone. Maybe they bundle him up with a promising young player or agree to pay part of his salary but if Hanners wants to go I think the Swans will find a way to make it happen.
    ROK was out of contract.

I don't think he particularly wanted to leave but was somewhat unimpressed by the contract offer from the Swans. Still, he indicated to the club he was going to stay but then went to the Brownlow where some other club (probably Carlton) whispered in his ear with "promises" of more money. ROK then requested a trade.

When it came to trade week, Carlton weren't that interested in trading for him. They had a couple of other priorities - such as Warnock and keeping pick 6 (which they used on Yarran). I suspect they thought ROK would walk into the PSD. They must have been confident that their contract offer would be big enough to scare off other clubs.

I think talk of a trade to Hawthorn was a bit of a furphy. True, Hawthorn did show some interest, going as far as tentatively offering up their (late) first round pick before withdrawing it (or claiming it had never been on the table). They then muttered something about their second round pick but I don't think that was ever taken seriously. More significantly, they never got as far as agreeing terms with ROK. They made vague statements about him needing to fit within their salary cap structure, as if the honour of playing in gold and brown should be sufficient for him. Given contract size (and maybe an opportunity to play midfield) were the sticking points with the Swans, I don't think that was ever going to wash with ROK.

As we all know, he stayed, got his opportunity to play in the midfield and won a BS and a NS medal doing so.