Page 341 of 418 FirstFirst ... 241291331337338339340341342343344345351391 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,092 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    My error. You're correct (and was Ludwig). Not sure who I missed when I counted.

The article on the AFL site (probably the same as the one on the Swans' site) confirms that Tippett has been removed from the list.

I won't be surprised if that spot is filled by promoting Fox to the senior list. Alternatively, there could be a DFA that appeals to the club. Last time I looked the Suns hadn't finalised their list, and Jack Leslie was listed as still awaiting a new contract. He played some really good football as a key defender in 2017 but didn't seem to be favoured by Dew in 2018. He played the final few games of the season but that might have been due to injuries, as much as anything. He's one who could be a handy pick-up, especially given Harley said at the start of the trade period that trading for a key defender was an objective.
    The Suns also brought in 22 and 24 year old state league defenders in Chris Burgess and former Docker Sam Collins, as well as Jack Hombsch, so in spite of the loss of May and Kolodjashnij, the competition for defensive spots isn't easing up for them either. They don't get a lot of attention because they're a garbage fire overall, but their backline is solid and battled hard this year.

My error. You're correct (and was Ludwig). Not sure who I missed when I counted.

The article on the AFL site (probably the same as the one on the Swans' site) confirms that Tippett has been removed from the list.

I won't be surprised if that spot is filled by promoting Fox to the senior list. Alternatively, there could be a DFA that appeals to the club. Last time I looked the Suns hadn't finalised their list, and Jack Leslie was listed as still awaiting a new contract. He played some really good football as a key defender in 2017 but didn't seem to be favoured by Dew in 2018. He played the final few games of the season but that might have been due to injuries, as much as anything. He's one who could be a handy pick-up, especially given Harley said at the start of the trade period that trading for a key defender was an objective.
    Nathan Freeman could be another alternate DFA we could be interested in. Finally got a senior game with St Kilda late in the season after being out several seasons due to injury, before being delisted (similar to AJ). Was originally pick 10 in 2013 Draft. Strong bodied in/out midfielder who is only 23yo & will be so eager to prove doubters wrong. I was impressed with his maturity & outlook when interviewed upon his delisting.

https://youtu.be/4SQqiJ2-Wgo
    Last edited by KSAS; 24th October 2018 at 03:48 PM.

?

Unless I've miscounted, we've cut seven players from the senior list and added two. That leaves five spots, which matches with Beatson's comment that the club intends to draft Blakey + three players (and we know that Ronke will be upgraded).

There are the two additional spots on the senior list that could be used, but the club has run with 38 for so many seasons now that it would be a surprise if they changed for 2019.

The announcement of these two delistings presumably means that Maibaum, Rose, Fox and Pink will remain on the list for another season. It doesn't make much sense to announce further delistings in dribs and drabs.
    Did I miss something with J Bell? Has he been offered another year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Did I miss something with J Bell? Has he been offered another year?
    I think the fact that he wasn't cut when Brown was sort of indicates that he is likely to play on.

I used to be quite keen Leslie. The few times I've seen him play this year I wasn't all that impressed, but it could be due to general dispondency of being on the Suns' list. I would give him a go if he's delisted.

Veterans List
    So after counting and counting again, to be sure, to be sure we have 30 left from this years senior list, added two so we are at 32 plus the upgrade of Ronke so now 33.

We have 5 spots, Blakey plus picks 38, 39, 40 brings us to 37.

So it's either someone very late in the draft or upgrade Fox on a one year contract or a DFA.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Nathan Freeman could be another alternate DFA we could be interested in. Finally got a senior game with St Kilda late in the season after being out several seasons due to injury, before being delisted (similar to AJ). Was originally pick 10 in 2013 Draft. Strong bodied in/out midfielder who is only 23yo & will be so eager to prove doubters wrong. I was impressed with his maturity & outlook when interviewed upon his delisting.

Freeman makes his long-awaited debut | Showreel | Round 20, 2018 | AFL - YouTube
    I also wondered about him when he was delisted, but according to a Melbourne acquaintance the explosive pace that saw him so highly rated has completely gone.

Liz, not sure we would elevate Fox as I feel he is a squad player and is included when we have injuries. I'd rather fill the spot with either a promosing draft pick we pick up or a talented delisted player we identify as able to help in either ,key position or specific need we lack

Talking of DFA’s, saw Tommy Sheridan of freo was delisted. I don’t know a lot about him but apparently a winger / utility type with elite endurance ( beat Bradley hill in their time trial ). Would he be worth a punt , as cheap depth. Delisted by Freo doesn’t speak volumes but you never know with guys when they get thrown a lifeline. Only 24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both jordan Murdoch and Daniel Menzel both got delisted by the cats just now too.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Both jordan Murdoch and Daniel Menzel both got delisted by the cats just now too.

Geelong has indicated they were keen to keep Menzel but only on a one year contract. His manager has been quoted a couple of times saying that he was scouring clubs looking for a two year deal. Geelong delisting him suggests he’s found himself a two year deal and that Geelong are doing the right thing by him and helping him get to that club as a DFA. I very much doubt it will be the Swans. Harley has previously said he wasn’t on our radar. St Kilda is my best guess. They must still have loads of cap space and need to take a few risks.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

Both of those guys were more than serviceable this year for Geelong.

- - - Updated - - -

Geelong has indicated they were keen to keep Menzel but only on ao e year contract. His manager has been quoted a couple of times saying that he was scouring clubs looking for a two year deal. Geelong delisting him suggests he’s found himself a two year deal and that Geelong are doing the right thing by him and helping him get to that club as a DFA. I very much doubt it will the Swans. Harley has previously said he wasn’t on our radar. St Kilda is my best guess. They must still have loads of cap space and need to take a few risks.
    That would make some sense, then- he seems a pretty handy forward.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Both of those guys were more than serviceable this year for Geelong.

That would make some sense, then- he seems a pretty handy forward.
    Almost a slap in the face to AJ tho