Page 186 of 418 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,232 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Ok I have now heard from two totally separate, completely unreliable mates at the Dees that they need to clear cap space and that Jesse Hogan is heading to Sydney. Probably as reliable as Annies rumors but hey.......
    If they needed to offload Hogan, they'd send him West not North.

There really aren’t too many “big name” players left. Gaff, Wingard, Hogan, Shiel, Lynch, May, and McGovern are the only big name players out there and McGovern is a stretch.

Of the rumours I’ve read that have, in my opinion, any semblance of plausibility, the two possible players include Gaff and Wingard. For some reason, I think North are going to miss out again. The comment about money from his manager was intriguing. Of course, no player wants to admit they are moving for money but the way it was said suggested something else.

Wingard is less likely but it has been floated somewhere (can’t remember where) and I think it holds some water.

I have discounted Shiel as his manager has categorically stated that it’s either GWS or a Melbourne club. He specifically said not the Swans. I take that at face value.

Hogan is a new rumour to me and I wouldn’t totally rule it out as I respect aardvark’s posts and think that Hogan is definitely tradeable from a Melbourne point of view with Wiederman’s emergence. However, I think Freo are much more likely to throw both cash and draft picks to secure him.

Lynch is going to Richmond. I listened to the trade radio launch and I don’t think there are any silly bugger games being played.

I don’t feel like May is a likely scenario for us. I think he will go to Collingwood or stay at the Suns until free agency.

McGovern is not really attractive to me and I think he’ll get to Carlton.

I don’t consider Darcy Moore to be a big name so haven’t included him here but FWIW, I think we are still a chance.

Overall, my money is on us landing Gaff and Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Overall, my money is on us landing Gaff and Moore.
    If we could afford both, that would be a pretty handy pair of ins. On the proviso we can fix Moore's injury woes. If we were using Moore as a diversion, I'd be OK with that too.

I’d like another tall strong leading forward for gaffe to pass the ball to

Reid always injured
    Buddy can’t be our leading forward all game
    Tom Mcartin good lead and mark but young and can’t kick

Would be very happy that paddy McCartin is part of the hannes deal

Out: Rohan, hannes, newman

In : gaff, P.McCartin plus another outside HBF player

I'd say Darcy Moore has more potential than Paddy "the dinosaur" McCartin

Completely agree but paddy McCartin will be peanuts in comparison to what some of the bottom clubs will be willing to pay for Moore

McCartin has some decent upside and would bolster our rotation given tall forwards are injured so often.......PM can give a strong mark and is better at goal and we have a unique opportunity to negotiate with saints so keen for hannes but not willing to let go of pick5

I see your point, but I'm not sure that's a sound basis to recruit on.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I see your point, but I'm not sure that's a sound basis to recruit on.
    I think it is if it fits our player payments. If Gaff comes in we might not have enough to secure Moore. Makes sense to me, particularly given his age there's likely to be improvement to come

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Completely agree but paddy McCartin will be peanuts in comparison to what some of the bottom clubs will be willing to pay for Moore

McCartin has some decent upside and would bolster our rotation given tall forwards are injured so often.......PM can give a strong mark and is better at goal and we have a unique opportunity to negotiate with saints so keen for hannes but not willing to let go of pick5
    I haven't seen much of Paddy McCartin but his stats are very poor (when he plays). He also only one head knock away from retirement.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I haven't seen much of Paddy McCartin but his stats are very poor (when he plays). He also only one head knock away from retirement.
    I would not judge McCartin on stats alone. I have seen some of the delivery he gets from the St Kilda mid fielders this year and it's been very poor. The Hogan rumour is one that I have never heard! Spoke to an unreliable source (Carlton supporter) and he tells me that Gaff is definetly leaving West coast and prefers the Swans to North,but not signing anything at the moment due to family issues.. To be taken on face value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are several things that don't make sense about a Gaff recruitment.
    • Why would he go to the Swans when he already has a good deal on the table from WC, reported to be 900k. Why not just stay at WC if you're not going home.
    • We are unlikely to offer any more money than WCE, except perhaps a very long contract, like 7 years.
    • It's hard to know what the attraction is.
    • As a RFA, WC could match the offer from a club that was offering around the same compo package as they were. The AFL compo pick to WC will be around pick 20, not so good for such a player.

But there is one that does click:

The Swans approached Hannebery some time ago about the possibility of moving to another club, so this move has been in the works probably from mid-season. As a free agent, Gaff was effectively known to be available for the entire year, so there was plenty of time to lay the groundwork for a deal of this magnitude, i.e. clearing the cap space with the Hannebery trade at an early date so negotiations could go ahead for Gaff. There's no trade required, so no need to negotiate with the club. All the other possible players, especially Wingard, all being contracted, would have been unknown or uncertain to move mid-season, when I suspect a lot of this planning took place. It would seem unlikely that we would go so far as pushing Hanners out the door when the other side of the equation was so uncertain, as all would have to be negotiated with the club, as to both the releasing of the player from his commitment to the club and the compensation required in return.

Hard to get a read on it. There are some missing pieces to this puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There are several things that don't make sense about a Gaff recruitment.
    • Why would he go to the Swans when he already has a good deal on the table from WC, reported to be 900k. Why not just stay at WC if you're not going home.
    • We are unlikely to offer any more money than WCE, except perhaps a very long contract, like 7 years.
    • It's hard to know what the attraction is.
    • As a RFA, WC could match the offer from a club that was offering around the same compo package as they were. The AFL compo pick to WC will be around pick 20, not so good for such a player.

But there is one that does click:

The Swans approached Hannebery some time ago about the possibility of moving to another club, so this move has been in the works probably from mid-season. As a free agent, Gaff was effectively known to be available for the entire year, so there was plenty of time to lay the groundwork for a deal of this magnitude, i.e. clearing the cap space with the Hannebery trade at an early date so negotiations could go ahead for Gaff. There's no trade required, so no need to negotiate with the club. All the other possible players, especially Wingard, all being contracted, would have been unknown or uncertain to move mid-season, when I suspect a lot of this planning took place. It would seem unlikely that we would go so far as pushing Hanners out the door when the other side of the equation was so uncertain, as all would have to be negotiated with the club, as to both the releasing of the player from his commitment to the club and the compensation required in return.

Hard to get a read on it. There are some missing pieces to this puzzle.
    I am sure that North's offer is worth a lot more money. Why wouldn't he go there seeing that his family is in Melbourne. No brainer, I don't think he is going to the Swans.