Page 415 of 418 FirstFirst ... 315365405411412413414415416417418 LastLast
Results 4,969 to 4,980 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    If we were to chase a FA big fish, who or what type of player is our most pressing need?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    If we were to chase a FA big fish, who or what type of player is our most pressing need?
    A gun midfielder! If I was a betting man, I'd wage that we were already talking to players' managers. Maybe it's time to raid GWS?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    A gun midfielder! If I was a betting man, I'd wage that we were already talking to players' managers. Maybe it's time to raid GWS?
    What a great idea. All the other clubs do so Sydney should make a play for Josh Kelly.

I can't see us getting Josh Kelly. Why would he leave the Giants and stay in Sydney? The Giants have clearly prioritised retaining him when they decided to let Shiel, Scully, Smith, Setterfield etc go. That said they still have a lot of talent on their list and potentially have to pay overs to retain them because they don't have all the advantages that many others clubs have to offer so maybe they won't be able to afford to keep up. I imagine Kelly wouldn't switch unless there was a big $$ difference (or other factors that we don't know about).

Angus Brayshaw seriously underrated player, still pretty young
    Elliott Yeo
    Patrick Cripps

Maybe a Buddy in waiting like Hipwood or Daniher!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Angus Brayshaw seriously underrated player, still pretty young
    Elliott Yeo
    Patrick Cripps

Maybe a Buddy in waiting like Hipwood or Daniher!
    Brayshaw was the player Melbourne took after bidding on Heeney :-)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Ruckmen do often take until they are 23 or 24 before they really start having an impact. Grundy and Nankervis are a couple of exceptions to this rule.

I recall Michael Gardiner doing his knee sometime in the early naughties and the media wondering how West Coast would cope, given how important he was for their game. But they rolled out an unco-ordinated, unheralded guy who was around 23 at the time and had been on their list for a couple of years after being picked up as a rookie. Enter Dean Cox.
    Yes and Cox won a premiership medal and Gardiner ended up at St Kilda.

Luke Parker does a piece confirming that “I love it in Sydney” and "I was never leaving, I absolutely love the club”

If like me you live on a grassy knoll, this piece is itself suspicious. But happy to take it at face value for now.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-15/firedup-swan-had-to-make-a-stand-on-trade-talk

Luke Parker does a piece confirming that “I love it in Sydney” and "I was never leaving, I absolutely love the club”

If like me you live on a grassy knoll, this piece is itself suspicious. But happy to take it at face value for now.

Fired-up Swan had to make a stand on trade talk - AFL.com.au
    What makes you suspicious MW?

Senior Player

Fired-up Swan had to make a stand on trade talk - AFL.com.au
    I see no reason to disbelieve him. To do so gives greater weight to unsourced rumours than direct quotes from a two times Bob Skilton Medal winner and newly appointed captain.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I see no reason to disbelieve him. To do so gives greater weight to unsourced rumours than direct quotes from a two times Bob Skilton Medal winner and newly appointed captain.
    I just don't think a captain of the Swans would ever come out and say that he was frustrated after another disappointing finals exit, has concerns about our gameplan etc, which is what the rumours were... This could be 100% true or a bit of a PR exercise to silence the doubters, and I think it would be hard to tell the difference.

Given that we have had a player retire due to injury but have to leave him on our list, can we replace him as the Hawks can do with Mitchell? I know this is a new rule and I suspect that we can't as KT retired last year but I was just curious.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph