Page 75 of 418 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It is a real conspiracy theory to say Gaff had made his mind up to come to Sydney, so hit Brayshaw to setup a justification to leave Perth but bypass the glare of Victoria to go to the Swans.
    It's the only explanation that fits

It is always an interesting time of the year when players are not signed, always more interesting when there is more talk about a player with 3 years left on his contract that is getting a lot of attention. Dan is a brilliant player and if he is fully fit can be a match winner. To trade Dan now, you would only do it if was a win-win-win for all 3 parties. I personally hope he stays, has a full pre-season, and shows everybody next year why he is a champion.

The other 4 non signings are interesting - McVeigh, Grundy, Lloyd and Nick Smith - all backmen.

McVeigh deserves another year based on this year's form. If we lose Lloyd we really need to re-sign McVeigh.

Grundy - first and foremost I hope he is OK. Whether he plays on next year is another question. My gut feel about Grundy is I don't think he will be with us in 2019.

LLoyd - former rookie listed player who has turned into a star for us. I really hope he stays. However money can talk - just look at Polec with North Melbourne offer.

Nick Smith - I find this the most interesting one and he is a free agent. I want Nick Smith to stay, however why hasn't he - Is he and the club waiting to see what happens with Lloyd. If we resign Lloyd, to be honest, I think Nick Smith may possibly leave.

So many cards too fall and my other question is who knows what players we are looking at.
    I am a proud South Australian Sydney Swans Member - Go BLOODS

I don’t think Nick Smith is going anywhere.

You'd think that at the time Grundy is at in his career, most players would be having a think about going again.
    With added issues to deal with, there may be a few more ticks in the retire column.

I'm happy either way. What a great servant to the club. Consistent is a word that is a great one to use for backmen.
    He had a role and always did it well.
    Not snaps at goal, no marks of the year, no real flash and dazzle. Just a solid rock.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Can’t remember where I read it but Smith triggered a clause in his contract that extended the length by a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The only reason St Kilda are happy to talk about their interest now is as a PR exercise/ to distract their fans from their on field performance and to try and send a message around ‘being aggressive in the trade market’.
    I think what happened is that the story got leaked and St Hanna went into damage control. They couldn't lie, because they were already caught out. They probably worked out the PR side with the Swans where the St Hanna would say they're interested in quality players and the Swans would leave the door open and let the story peter out until after the season ends.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    You'd think that at the time Grundy is at in his career, most players would be having a think about going again.
    With added issues to deal with, there may be a few more ticks in the retire column.

I'm happy either way. What a great servant to the club. Consistent is a word that is a great one to use for backmen.
    He had a role and always did it well.
    Not snaps at goal, no marks of the year, no real flash and dazzle. Just a solid rock.

Absolute gun defender over the years. One of only a few to shine in 2016 GF.

Veterans List
    There's up to 14 players likely to be drafted who could be taken as F/S. One won't be because he's Nick Blakey but still leaves 13 plus a significant number tied to academies.

The other F/S of interest to us is Kyle Dunkley, an inside mid who could nominate us.

I’m pretty sure the Dunkleys and the Swans don’t get along

There’s no point signing Smith, Grundy and McVeigh. They aren’t going anywhere. Just sit down with them at the end of the season and see how they feel.
    MUST sign Lloyd asap

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    There’s no point signing Smith, Grundy and McVeigh. They aren’t going anywhere. Just sit down with them at the end of the season and see how they feel.
    MUST sign Lloyd asap
    Add Jack to that list and possibly Rohan and Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    The other F/S of interest to us is Kyle Dunkley, an inside mid who could nominate us.
    Nowhere near as good as his brother. Maybe rookie list at best.