Page 170 of 418 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180220270 ... LastLast
Results 2,029 to 2,040 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'm with you on Lloyd. COR is an obvious replacement, ready and waiting to play. He's ready, and if he spends most of next season playing NEAFL he is well within his rights to start looking at opportunities at other clubs. He wasn't actually dropped after his third game - he was injured. And then by the time he was ready to resume, McVeigh was back in the senior side. I'd have played him late in the season in place of Newman but, with a fair number of other very inexperienced players in the side, I can understand why the selectors went with the somewhat more experienced Newman.

I still don't see Lloyd ending up at Gold Coast, though, if he does leave. He just doesn't seem to be the kind of player they need as a priority. I think he's a good link/role player in a decent to good side, but he doesn't win much of his own ball or apply a lot of pressure.
    That's a pretty harsh assessment of a player who came in 2nd in last year's B&F and is the likely winner this year. Also made the All Australian 40. I don't know how much more he could have done.

In his current role you wouldn't expect him to win much of his own ball or apply a lot of pressure as he's the one who we rely on to get free and be that link player, as you say. He's best suited for an outside player, but I think he would do just as well in the midfield or as a half forward.

He's improved every year and now that he's just about to turn 25 you might expect that he's just entering the best years of his career. I would think his manager is making similar arguments in his contract negotiations. There's always a player who feels he shouldn't be the one to take the hit for lesser teammates being overpaid.

Lloyd, McVeigh and COR all play similar roles and we have several players who could probably slot in, like Florent, Ling or Stoddart, but it would take a while until they reached Lloyd's level of proficiency in the role, if ever.

I think it would be a big loss if he were traded, but everyone is trade-able for the right price. If he's going to GC, we should get their pick 3, with perhaps Newman going as well in the deal. Remember, they gave up pick 2 for Lachie Weller, and Lloyd, based on performance, would seem to be the better player.

There probably are scenarios where a trade would make sense, but it's hard to assess until we see the final product of the trade season.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    That's a pretty harsh assessment of a player who came in 2nd in last year's B&F and is the likely winner this year. Also made the All Australian 40. I don't know how much more he could have done.

In his current role you wouldn't expect him to win much of his own ball or apply a lot of pressure as he's the one who we rely on to get free and be that link player, as you say. He's best suited for an outside player, but I think he would do just as well in the midfield or as a half forward.

He's improved every year and now that he's just about to turn 25 you might expect that he's just entering the best years of his career. I would think his manager is making similar arguments in his contract negotiations. There's always a player who feels he shouldn't be the one to take the hit for lesser teammates being overpaid.

Lloyd, McVeigh and COR all play similar roles and we have several players who could probably slot in, like Florent, Ling or Stoddart, but it would take a while until they reached Lloyd's level of proficiency in the role, if ever.

I think it would be a big loss if he were traded, but everyone is trade-able for the right price. If he's going to GC, we should get their pick 3, with perhaps Newman going as well in the deal. Remember, they gave up pick 2 for Lachie Weller, and Lloyd, based on performance, would seem to be the better player.

There probably are scenarios where a trade would make sense, but it's hard to assess until we see the final product of the trade season.
    I agree with that. I think Lloyd would be a good player in bad teams; he was our best or near to it in several losses this year. He's mentally strong, disciplined with his game, sets a good example, consistent. He runs hard to win uncontested ball. A lot of those virtues are a little thin in our team at the moment.

I think he'll stay, it's just a matter of how much they have left for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
    So word is Shiel is on the move and deciding between

Saints (huge money offer)
    Hawks
    Swans
    So we're a chance then? Fingers crossed.

I'm amazed by the lack of love for Lloyd. Of course he picks up a heap of easy possessions. That's his job/role and he does it very well. Proof of how well he does it is in the B&F results. Our coaches aren't going to lodge their votes based on stats at the end of each game.

If he does leave I'd be insisting on a first round pick and a high one at that. He can be replaced but the replacement won't be anywhere near as good.

It's hard to fathom how this whole thing ends up with the bidding war that's going on for any half decent player. A fixed salary cap seems to be a bottomless pit for some clubs.

Chad Wingard was a gun player, no doubt, but he's had 2 ordinary years at a stage in his career when he should be at the top of his game. Now it looks like Wingard may be offered a contract close to $1mil pa on a long-term contract.

Jake Lloyd, the same age as Wingard, on the other hand, just keeps improving, and has been the better player the past couple of years. On the same basis it sort of makes sense that Hanners would be rated based on his performances from a few years back. And Jake must look at this and think What about me?

It seems like it's becoming a bit of musical chairs with the top players and I wonder how much really gets accomplished except to gnaw away at every club's salary cap, I suppose at the expense of lower profile players like Lloyd. I'd rather have 10 players like Lloyd for $6mil pa than 10 players like Wingard and Hanners for over $8mil pa.

If there really is a salary cap, and sometimes you have to wonder, there should be some good moneyball moves by clever list managers.

The non-Victorian clubs get unfairly targeted, particularly the northern 4, and get forced to pay more to keep players. It's hard to see how this plays out over the longer term. Every club should end up with a salary cap squeeze. The list manager is more important than the coach. I wouldn't mind Rhyce Shaw taking over from Longmire, but I'd hate to lose Kinnear Beatson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Jake Lloyd, the same age as Wingard, on the other hand, just keeps improving, and has been the better player the past couple of years.
    While teams might calculate that Lloyd enhances their list, it is unlikely that they would view him as a match winner. Wingard, at his best, is someone that could win a game off his own boot - and money is nearly always paid on potential (and someone’s evaluation of their likelihood in reaching it).

I am not sure our club champion award is necessarily the best indicator of our greatest players. Isn’t it based on performance in relation to role given (indicating that consistency and expectation are the measures, rather than overall talent)?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I don't do Twitter but someone might like to post Luke Parkers latest post.
    Let me know if people can't see the image????

Capture.JPG - Google Drive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ScottH; 19th September 2018 at 10:10 AM.

Senior Player
    Yes, the maths of the cap is a quandary. Say it's $10.8M and a team has a list of 38, then the average is $284K PA.
    If Buddy is on $1.1M, Hanners on $800K, JPK & Parker on $700K for instance, there is $7.5M to pay 34 players.
    So those 34 guys are averaging $220K PA. Add in Reid, Heeneys, Mills, Lloyd on $400K to $500K, then by now
    the bottom 30 guys on the list are averaging $180K PA. Sure, it's likely not to be quite that simple, but you get the picture.

Yes it’s interesting to debate the salary cap issue in the light of what is going on at present eg top players like Lynch being linked to the most successful teams.

Free agency was introduced despite many well respected people in the industry voicing their concerns about its adverse impact on the competition. What seems to be happening is that players at weaker clubs are prepared to go to destination clubs for considerably less than they would expect at lower clubs. In contrast, weaker clubs (especially interstate) are being asked to pay overs just to retain talent. This significantly reduces the effectiveness of the salary cap as a device to even out the competition. Without intervention from the AFL Commission, I can see going forward a situation where there are likely to be six or so Powerful destination clubs that will always be in contention due to this anomaly and then a small group at the bottom who will struggle to ever have sustained success.

I also have some doubts about the integrity of the salary cap. Payments “in kind” or promises to provide rewards in the future are probably going on at some clubs (especially these same powerful ones). This is very difficult to police.

Where does this leave the Swans? Our well regarded club culture and record of modern success helps us. We are certainly in the best position of interstate clubs in the tough northern markets. We are generally regarded as a well run Club. The Academy also provides a buffer. On the downside, the go home factor can still happen to us as our list is predominantly imported from other States. The cost of living in Sydney is also a factor. Hence, we are probably in the middle somewhere. The lobbying of our nemesis, Eddy, has certainly been successful in re-establishing a decided advantage for wealthy Victorian Clubs. This is our challenge to overcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The current cap actually works in favour of successful clubs. If suns have to pay 15% more for players because they are "unsuccessful", yet have the same cap as Richmond.
    Richmond are therefore 15% better on paper than the Suns just on definition, before you even add in game style, coaching, home grand finals, support, culture, etc, etc.

Who was the architect of AFL free agency? It wasnt Gill was it?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The current cap actually works in favour of successful clubs. If suns have to pay 15% more for players because they are "unsuccessful", yet have the same cap as Richmond.
    Richmond are therefore 15% better on paper than the Suns just on definition, before you even add in game style, coaching, home grand finals, support, culture, etc, etc.

Who was the architect of AFL free agency? It wasnt Gill was it?
    It would have to be the players themselves through the AFLPA. I don't think the league wanted free agency. It was inevitable because the league has a losing legal position if the AFLPA challenged player employment restrictions. Still, I think the AFL has one of most restricted free agency agreements in pro sports. It seems that the players are finding ways to effectively lower the restrictions and are heading closer to greater freedom to change clubs.

Senior Player
    …. and one piece of evidence of that is players increasingly requesting trades while still in contract.....