Page 377 of 418 FirstFirst ... 277327367373374375376377378379380381387 ... LastLast
Results 4,513 to 4,524 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Chris Doerre aka Knightmare has updated his draft rankings (not phantom draft): AFL Draft Chris Doerre Knightmare Power Rankings Caldwell Collier-Dawkins in top 10. They are boldly different than some others. He rates Sam Walsh as 4th best and Connor McFadyen 10th!
    McFadyen would be great but the Lions will match any bid above 10 for him. Our most lacking need is a pure inside mid and Podhajski, Sparrow and Ross would fit that need at around our 2nd round selections. Sydney Stack would be good purely because of his name. I'd like to see us select two inside mids (if avalable) with our first two available picks and to go for someone like Koschitske with the next.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    McFadyen would be great but the Lions will match any bid above 10 for him. Our most lacking need is a pure inside mid and Podhajski, Sparrow and Ross would fit that need at around our 2nd round selections. Sydney Stack would be good purely because of his name. I'd like to see us select two inside mids (if avalable) with our first two available picks and to go for someone like Kotzincke with the next.
    Surely we have to take Sydney Stack if he's available?

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    No matter who be plays with Let's hope he's not an arsehole like green.
    If he is as good as Green I'd be happy to take him.

Just watched the 'past draftees' video on the Swans website.
    Was quite amused when Adam Goodes name was read out. It was pronounced as Adam Goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Just watched the 'past draftees' video on the Swans website.
    Was quite amused when Adam Goodes name was read out. It was pronounced as Adam Goodies.
    ...and didn't he deliver them!!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Well tonight all the speculation will be over....Oh @@@@ sorry. it won't be over until tomorrow night. bugger. I bet lots of kids will be saying that too. I don't understand the need to draw this out. Just get on with it and let the kids stop hyperventilating.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Well tonight all the speculation will be over....Oh @@@@ sorry. it won't be over until tomorrow night. bugger. I bet lots of kids will be saying that too. I don't understand the need to draw this out. Just get on with it and let the kids stop hyperventilating.
    National draft will be over before tomorrow night, It’s on in the morning/afternoon n most will either be at school and most adults at work when it’s on. Another well thought out idea. Lol

The kids can hyperventilate at school.

Veteran Site Admin
    Dubious world of AFL's Next Generation Academies

So Jake Niall has taken swipe at the NGA system, mostly making points that have already been raised on this forum over the last few years (ie that the clubs entitled to these players have done absolutely nothing to contribute to their development).

His support for the "necessary evils" that are the Northern Academies is somewhat lukewarm and misses most of their point. I wonder if he realises just how broad in scope the Northern Academies are, and how many boys participate in them every year. To me that is the absolutely critical difference between them and the NGAs - they are about far more than just cherry picking elite talent just as it is about to be drafted.

Veterans List
    Good on Jake Niall for calling NGA's out and pointing out that clubs are just cherry picking high level talent already embedded in good football development systems.

I like the fact he correctly called them a sop to the 14 southern teams which is exactly what they were and are. The hasty creation of NGA's and the extremely loose nomination criteria smacked of just that.

I reckon the AFL has to tighten rules on eligibility (need to convince Eddie and cohorts) and, for all teams, stop the manipulation of draft picks when a team knows they have a high draftee tied to them. This year we did it but North and Pies were much worse in trading away high picks for gun players and accumulating picks in the 40s. 50s and 60s to pay for additional first and high second rounders.

If they make you pay for tied kids with appropriate picks then a lot of the advantage is taken away, as it should be.

Yes, I read that article with interest. Does make the blood boil a bit. It's not so much that Eddie & co. use their power to pull strings and advance their own club's interests at the expense of the game (I guess that's their remit) as the fact that the AFL doesn't have the strength or ability to stand up to them and hold the line as they should.

While I was on the site I also took the opportunity to listen to a podcast with Emma Quayle about the draft: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...15-p50g4y.html. Worth a listen. She suggests that in her experience (at GWS) clubs ARE less likely to bid on player tied to another club, but not to the point that it gets ridiculous.

Yep NFA in respect of the "Northern Academies".

Melbourne Journos like Niall still have no idea how small the game is in Sydney compared to Rugby league, union and soccer. Its growing for sure and the academy really in my view has helped give kids that arent 100 kilo wrecking balls another solid option if they are talented.

Before the academy , the pathway for any kid of talent in NSW aussie rules was very difficult and heavily biased to the traditional albury/ riverina kids.