Page 190 of 418 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240290 ... LastLast
Results 2,269 to 2,280 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I’m not a big follower of “soccer” but I know of two AFL players who have moved, and in one case ended their career due to the serious ill health of their fathers.

Are you saying this was BS and they made it all up?

Barry, I’m not going to get into it with you discussing scenarios for my parents demise, but there are those where I would move home.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Barry, I’m not going to get into it with you discussing scenarios for my parents demise, but there are those where I would move home.
    Agreed. Distasteful topic

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Boring, this is becoming very boring. Would only be a small % chance that Gaff is coming our way, hardly worth pages of character assessment.

Still no sighter on what we're really up to, it did just occur to me that whatever we're doing started before the season when we worked out a deal with Tippett to lessen his drag on our cap going forward. We've been planning what ever it is for a long time.
    Agree with your 2nd paragraph 707, which means if the Swans had been planning a long time for something it also coincides with the knowledge of Gaff & Lynch becoming Restircted Free Agents plus Darcy Moore coming out of contract a long way out as well. Lynch is expected go to Tigers, same thing was said of Buddy going to GWS being a formality. Gaff, Moore & maybe Lynch being in our cross hairs a long way out does makes sense then from a timeline perspective.
    Last edited by KSAS; 24th September 2018 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Agree with your 2nd paragraph 707, which means if the Swans had been planning a long time for something it also coincides with the knowledge of Gaff & Lynch becoming Restircted Free Agents plus Darcy Moore coming out of contract a long way out as well. Lynch is expected go to Tigers, same thing was said of Buddy going to GWS being a formality. Gaff, Moore & maybe Lynch being in our cross hairs a long way out does makes sense then from a timeline perspective.
    Yes Buddy was said to be going to GWS, but the thing that people don't take into consideration was that Buddy wanted to come to Sydney because of his wife. So of Gaff, Moore & Lynch, from what we are told only Moore has indicated that he wants to come to Sydney. Lynch has stated from day 1 that he wants to go to a Melbourne club and I really don't think that Sydney will pay Gaff what he can reportedly get viz; $1.2m+.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Boring, this is becoming very boring. Would only be a small % chance that Gaff is coming our way, hardly worth pages of character assessment.

Still no sighter on what we're really up to, it did just occur to me that whatever we're doing started before the season when we worked out a deal with Tippett to lessen his drag on our cap going forward. We've been planning what ever it is for a long time.
    I've heard a number of people mention the Swans did a deal to get Tippett out. Can someone explain to me how having him not play for the whole of this season helped our salary cap planning?

I think the club would have much preferred a fit and firing Tippett in the team this year rather than one less player on our list as we had.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I hope Gaff is on our radar...And I hope Moore isn't though he seems the most likely of those three, at this stage.

But I get the feeling we'll be bringing in some less high profile players who are looking for more opportunity elsewhere.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Agree Lynch is unlikely but he may've been on our radar early on. Gaff however is a possibility with his manager just recently saying money is NOT the biggest factor in his decision, meaning we could get him for under the reported 1.2m offer from North. Lynch is reportedly signing with Richmond for less than he was earning at GC. Another example of money is not always the incentive. Interesting that parting with Hanners & Rohan to clear even further cap space, suggests at least one big name player has committed to us. Gaff fits that bill in need & profile.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    But I get the feeling we'll be bringing in some less high profile players who are looking for more opportunity elsewhere.
    In that category I reckon either/both Jayden Hunt & Jackson Thurlow are real possibilities. I remember someone posted earlier in this thread who has family ties with Thurlow, was strong on him coming to us.

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    I've heard a number of people mention the Swans did a deal to get Tippett out. Can someone explain to me how having him not play for the whole of this season helped our salary cap planning?

I think the club would have much preferred a fit and firing Tippett in the team this year rather than one less player on our list as we had.
    Club would've definitely preferred a fit & firing Tippett this year, but I reckon his late retirement call due to injury concern caught the club out by surprise (otherwise it would've been made early post last season if it was club induced). I think this inspired the club to re-adjust its thinking with its list management strategy in that it gave them incentive to chase bigger fish if they were able to make further cap space by clearing under performing players like Hanners & Rohan, based on their yielding $$$$ contracts. Reid may think he'll be so next year if he doesn't get on the park & perform, particularly if we get Darcy Moore.

I have the feeling club felt it really needed to re-invigorate it's list after struggling to make the 8 the past 2 seasons & more of the same next year if if didn't.
    Last edited by KSAS; 24th September 2018 at 12:04 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I hope Gaff is on our radar...And I hope Moore isn't though he seems the most likely of those three, at this stage.

The salary cap relief with Hanneberry, Rohan etc could simply be a strategy for the long term retention of some of our outstanding young developing players - Florent,Hayward, Melican, even Jones. Have I missed anyone - Ling, Stoddard? Nothing wrong with internal development.

I heard a rumour that Tipoff wants to be relisted.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I heard a rumour that Tipoff wants to be relisted.
    Say what? Surely you jest Annie!