Page 338 of 418 FirstFirst ... 238288328334335336337338339340341342348388 ... LastLast
Results 4,045 to 4,056 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Still waiting for a few words about Ling, the club speaks more about Stoddard.
    I know one played and one didnt but one is also a pick in the 50s which is typically not spoken about with regard to seniors

If he is a flop at 14 gonna be hard to convince me what KB can do with picks in the 40s
    Even though we've heard very little of Ling, the club has expressed confidence with him as I do recall he signed a year extension? I remember last year post draft KB saying how impressed he was with Ling. KB gave impression they were hoping to pick him up with their 2nd round pick, but after Ling put on some break out late season performances was worried he'd be gone by then. KB was impressed with Ling's outside run & team oriented 2nd/3rd efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    After Blakey, picks 37,38 and 40 are not really worth much. If you get one 100 gamer out of that lot, you're doing well.
    I hope we upgrade those to a 20's pick
    Yet you're bagging Tom Harley for not being able to recruit a #65 pick (Langdon) and a rookie pick (VDB). Why would you criticize someone for failing to acquire a player that's not really worth much?

Heard a rumour that Shane Mumford is sniffing around for a comeback.

(BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA. I love it when I make myself laugh.)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's a few things wrong with that observation / suggestion.

If picks 38-40 (as we currently hold) "are not really worth much", why would any other club trade a pick in the 20s in exchange?

If picks in that range really weren't worth much, there are an awful lot of players who've carved out good careers for the Swans (and other teams)
    Teams that would want them are ones who need the points for a father son or academy pickup.

If you take out the trades, rookies, father-son, academy, zone or any other draft concession types, you'll find slim picking in the late 30's and above.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    My issue is that the other teams competing for the 8 have improved vs our list significantly ie north, bombers, hawks etc

We were well off the pace of Richmond

GWS are in my opinion about to peak with such amazing talent at the right age. Their injury toll all season was worse then ours. We looked like a reserve grade team in the finals vs gws. We were completely dismantled

The pies depth and talent looks like it will be hitting its straps come 2019.......very very exciting list of players and had massive injury toll all season

So yes I will support our team all the way but I can’t see through rose coloured glasses. Our recruitment strategy concerns me a lot. Our outside run vs gws looked absolutely terrible in the finals. So does our backline outside run come down to Stoddart and or Ling ?

We know we need Jones in the midfield

We have fallen behind in my opinion and it could be a very very tough season

I can’t see our plan B for 2019
    It'd be great to have the excitement of a big trade to talk about throughout summer. But, other than a key forward to team with Buddy, I'm not convinced we need it. Through injury we saw a lot of young talent step up in 2018.

I know the run to finals - and the final - were disappointing but was anyone surprised? We've always been told that the kids run out of puff at the end of the season and ours certainly did. Hopefully, they will all have matured by 2019 and we'll see them step up further - and for longer in 2019.

Even a year ago I don't know if I would have been just as excited to see Mills back as Smooch. McCartin showed great signs of potential this year and next year he'll have the trainer wheels off. Ronke burst onto the scene and faded out as the year progressed.

i'm a bit sad to see Towers leave but he was such a confidence player and we always had to carry him for a few weeks till he rose to the level where he was definitely in our Top 22. Who would have thought a finger in the eye would end an AFL career?

Historically, I'm sad to see Dan and Gary go and wish them well. But it certainly puts paid to the oft-run line that some players get game time they don't deserve. They fell off the pace - or never consistently delivered on potential - and they've gone. That's harsh. AJ is a tragedy and our ultimate response showed that AFL, even the Swans, is a business.

Finally, I don't think Horse is stupid. I think he devises a game plan to suit our players' strength. In many ways we have quite a new-look team and I expect a 2019 game plan to match. But I confidently expect the AFL media to say (into the indefinite future) that the Swans are slow and too defensive, just as they have been since 2003.

Roll on 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yet you're bagging Tom Harley for not being able to recruit a #65 pick (Langdon) and a rookie pick (VDB). Why would you criticize someone for failing to acquire a player that's not really worth much?
    Ludders, imagine you are in a game show, and there are three doors with only a prize behind one of them. You pick. 1 in 3 chance right.? Correct. Now, host eddie mcguire unveils one of the doors which he knows doesnt have a prize, then offers you the chance to switch doors (the other one that is left). Do you ? On the above comment, I assume you wouldnt.

But you should, because Eddie has offered to drop your odds from 1 in 3 to 1 in 2. Take it man!

The moral of the story is that Langdon was probably a 1 in 20 chance of being a decent player when picked at #65, but has shown enough now to be a pick 26 or there abouts. Eddie has shown you the other door!

Veteran Site Admin
    Teams that would want them are ones who need the points for a father son or academy pickup.

If you take out the trades, rookies, father-son, academy, zone or any other draft concession types, you'll find slim picking in the late 30's and above.
    None of those players I listed was a zone selection nor a FS (*). Current day FS and academy selections are bid upon where other clubs feel they sit in the pecking order, so if they're taken after wherever the "useful cut-off" is, they're still taken with later picks. And since the rookie draft comes at the end of the national draft, any player taken in the rookie draft is, by definition, a late draft pick.

The reason why the hit rate looks a bit higher from the rookie draft than the later rounds of the ND is purely a numbers game - ie clubs will typically take two or three players in the 3rd or later rounds of the national draft, but then might load up half a dozen or more rookies. Clubs need to churn through a fair number of players to find those who have what it takes to play senior AFL, so if you're churning through twice as many players via the rookie system as you are the later picks in the ND, in pure number terms you may uncover more rookies who last.

But clubs also have to churn through players taken earlier in the draft. There's no threshold where the likelihood of finding a good player suddenly drops off - or if there is, it's somewhere well within the top 10 picks. Johnston, DOK, Willougby, Towers, Lamb, Vezspremi and hosts of others taken by other clubs are testament to that.

In terms of clubs needing points, those who expect to have players bid upon in the first 20 or so picks have already shuffled their picks and points around. North and the Pies look a bit light on for points (but only marginally so) but neither holds a pick in the 20s. The one exception is the Bulldogs, who currently hold pick 27, likely to be pick 29-30 after earlier academy bids. They may see an advantage in trading that pick for a couple of ours that give them more points to match a bid on West. But I suspect a number of clubs will have their eye on that pick, and the Dogs may land up trading it down before draft night. As the Mase pointed out a week or so ago, the biggest value to the Swans comes in waiting until after Blakey has been drafted before trading up.

The cost of matching bids later in the draft isn't that high, and I reckon most, if not all, clubs will reckon they can easily match with what they have and won't see the need to trade down any picks in the 20s or 30s.

(*) One did slip onto my list, Naismith. But he's the only one.

Ludders, imagine you are in a game show, and there are three doors with only a prize behind one of them. You pick. 1 in 3 chance right.? Correct. Now, host eddie mcguire unveils one of the doors which he knows doesnt have a prize, then offers you the chance to switch doors (the other one that is left). Do you ? On the above comment, I assume you wouldnt.

But you should, because Eddie has offered to drop your odds from 1 in 3 to 1 in 2. Take it man!

The moral of the story is that Langdon was probably a 1 in 20 chance of being a decent player when picked at #65, but has shown enough now to be a pick 26 or there abouts. Eddie has shown you the other door!
    You'd be wrong about that Barry. I'm an expert in the Monty Hall Problem and have often explained it to others.

This discussion about Harley and the fish that got away has nothing to do with door selection or probablities, but rather an internal contradiction in your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You'd be wrong about that Barry. I'm an expert in the Monty Hall Problem and have often explained it to others.

This discussion about Harley and the fish that got away has nothing to do with door selection or probablities, but rather an internal contradiction in your logic.
    Are you trying to use an argument that supports my point of view as a reason to dispute it?

Goes up to 11
    Are you trying to use an argument that supports my point of view as a reason to dispute it?
    Why do you want to argue anyway? RWO isn't as nice a place to be around anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Why do you want to argue anyway?
    Tell me about it. I offer up a very insightful insight brought about by years of experience and a brain the size of trumps, and all they want to do is quibble about minor details.

RWO isn't as nice a place to be around anymore....
    Off season is like that.

Veterans List

You don't know that for sure. As has been already stated, we've obtained some absolute gems at pick 40 or higher.....have some faith.