Page 333 of 418 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334335336337343383 ... LastLast
Results 3,985 to 3,996 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Barrett still doesn't know what "Sliding Doors" means 😏.

Anyway...who cares where you finish on the trade ladder, it only matters where you finish on the premiership ladder! Last year it was all about Port and Essendon and neither made the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Whilst the 2019 Free Agency field looks less appealing than 2018, I think Marcus Bontempli, Josh Kelly & Tom Mitchell come out of contract next year. Plus if this year is anything to go by where a unprecedented number of contracted players found new homes, the recruiting field is potentially wide open for 2019.
    It's hard to project 12 months down the road, but our activity this year, or inactivity if you like, has only solidified our commitment to the draft and our current list of young players. I appears that we will rise or fall on their backs. There's not going to be a messiah coming in from some other club.

Of course someone like Josh Kelly would be a boon to any club, buts it's unlikely that we will be in the running for someone like Kelly, if indeed he would request a trade. I can't see him nominating that he wants to go to another Sydney club anyway. Bont-'n-Kelly (how's that for a mix 'n match?) is likely to see offers in the area of $1.5 mil a year. We're not going to be in a position to play that game.

I'm quite hopeful that Jackson Thurlow can find a spot in our backline. He's a talented player who just hasn't had a good run with injury and opportunity. He's a great size for a 3rd tall, has good speed and foot skills. He should actually be a better player than Langdon, who wasn't that great until half way through this year.

Ryan Clarke has a bit of reputation for turning the ball over, but let's see how he goes with our development team. The rest of his game is quite good.

A backline of Melican, Aliir, Thurlow, Rampe, COR and Stoddart could be very strong and certainly very quick. It changes the complexion of how we defend, going from a drop back one on one team to an intercept-rebound team. Maybe we give up some more points, but hopefully compensate with more scoring. It also allows Lloyd, Mills, Jones, Clarke and Ling to play though the midfield, and all would be good at dropping back to help in defence. That's like getting 5 new midfielders. So where is the problem with our midfield depth? I don't see it.

Are we good enough? We will just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post

Anyway...who cares where you finish on the trade ladder, it only matters where you finish on the premiership ladder! Last year it was all about Port and Essendon and neither made the finals.
    Yeah i don't rate our trade week either but bottom...nah. i can't believe he gets paid to write this drivel.

Sliding doors.

IF Damian Barrett is a journalist
    THEN: (please complete)
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Sliding doors.

IF Damian Barrett is a journalist
    THEN: Mark Robinson must be a journalist too

Damian Barrett thought he was the big story news breaker, but a few others, like Sam McClure and Tom Morris have passed him. He's fallen out with Eddie. Well, I suppose that's one positive. But he only seems left with that silly Sliding Doors crap which is well past its used by date.

The footy journo space has become very crowded. There doesn't seem to be enough room for everyone. Maybe Damian Barrett will slowly fall away. He's not a very likable character.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Thought the same when I looked at the list but going on recent history , it’s not just those will be free agents next year who can be targeted , but those with a year or two left before they become free agents. I’d like to see the list of 2020 and 2021 free agents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Using recent history as a guide, as long as you have only one year left on a contract and the buyer is willing to pay a fair price the trade will get done. Clubs are apprehensive to wait for a player to be out of contract as they have very little bargaining power.

I'm amazed that some people consider Sam McClure as being a credible journo. I listened to him and Nick Dal Santo for the last couple of weeks on SEN. McClure is a fool. His knowledge is extremely limited and his Victorian bias makes him look like a clown. At least Dal Santo views the game from a national perspective.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Using recent history as a guide, as long as you have only one year left on a contract and the buyer is willing to pay a fair price the trade will get done. Clubs are apprehensive to wait for a player to be out of contract as they have very little bargaining power.
    But without the trade advantages that free agency delivers. There were some quality players traded this year ahead of them becoming free agents, but in most cases the acquiring club paid top draft pick dollar at the trade table. This may just be a one-off, or maybe we're seeing the next cycle of free agency, indicating it may become harder to quickly rejuvenate your list by acquiring free agents at no cost.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I'm amazed that some people consider Sam McClure as being a credible journo. I listened to him and Nick Dal Santo for the last couple of weeks on SEN. McClure is a fool. His knowledge is extremely limited and his Victorian bias makes him look like a clown. At least Dal Santo views the game from a national perspective.
    I listened to a bit of trade radio too and agree McClure was underwhelming. He overreacted over Fremantle's initial announcement it was pulling out of the race for Hogan. He had no real insight, exaggerated; mostly half-baked supposition.

Regular in the Side
    Del santo with Johno still had Towers in our best 22 on the final night of trading on fox show. don't they do their homework

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I fear he may become a very disappointing tradesperson once his media career ends.
    Client: "I asked for a sliding door!"
    Barrett: "Yep!"
    Client: "You've just put a kitchen island in my bedroom!"
    Barrett: "It's on castors!"

That said, he may be able to hone in on the alternative building market- his mudslinging experience may prove helpful on the right type of build.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

He’s just been hired full time by afl.com.au