Page 85 of 418 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,009 to 1,020 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
    Maybe.
    Grundy, Macca, Buddy, Kennedy and KJack all getting to the end.
    Buddy will probably keep going for a while. When he’s too old & slow too roam around the midfield/wing/CHF and can’t bomb them from 60m, he can plonk himself in the goal square and really make a dent on the goalkickers ahead of him on the table. As for Macca, how good will he be when his clavicle has actually healed?!

Veterans List
    We must keep generating good young players. We have a ready made in Blakey so he must be the priority. If we pick up another highly rated with trades then that will be a bonus. Don't underestimate our recruiters ability to snag a gem or 2 out of the pack.

We have Stoddart, Ling and Styles from last year's draft to get a big pre season into them. We haven't seen much of Ling but they must have rated him highly to take him with our first pick and to give him an extension right up front. I think we already go into 2019 with a developing group. McCartin could be anything. Talking to Ludwig today he has some good stats on what we have coming through. Maybe he can wise us up if hasn't already done so in this thread. For instance the number of under 24 players coming through of which HC is the oldest. In 2019 all we need is luck with injuries and look out.

Newman appears to have consolidated his spot on the list and who can forget Dawson. Who will be unlucky to be delisted?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We must keep generating good young players. We have a ready made in Blakey so he must be the priority. If we pick up another highly rated with trades then that will be a bonus. Don't underestimate our recruiters ability to snag a gem or 2 out of the pack.

We have Stoddart, Ling and Styles from last year's draft to get a big pre season into them. We haven't seen much of Ling but they must have rated him highly to take him with our first pick and to give him an extension right up front. I think we already go into 2019 with a developing group. McCartin could be anything. Talking to Ludwig today he has some good stats on what we have coming through. Maybe he can wise us up if hasn't already done so in this thread. For instance the number of under 24 players coming through of which HC is the oldest. In 2019 all we need is luck with injuries and look out.

Newman appears to have consolidated his spot on the list and who can forget Dawson. Who will be unlucky to be delisted?
    And throw in COR and Bell for good measure.

I feel there is a good solid core of middle age players - Cunningham, Heeney, Jones, Papley, Hewett, Mills, Parker.

Some good solid developing players - Aliir, Newman, Melican, Hayward, Florent, Ronke.

Hayward may become a star but I think we still need a couple more elite youngsters. If we could snag Blakey and Rankine this year it could set the list balance up for years to come.

If you look across the comp then elite players make a big difference. Look at GWS record with and without Kelly. When he plays they win.

So I still feel there is a big risk that if you remove Buddy from the Swans we could drop down.
    Last edited by Muttley; 19th August 2018 at 11:24 PM.

Veterans List
    I reckon that through the draft and improvement from emerging players that our bottom 6 will be significantly better next year.

I reckon that through the draft and improvement from emerging players that our bottom 6 will be significantly better next year.
    The old 'bottom six' is the interesting part of the equation. While you could argue at varying times that some of our younger guys have at times been in our 'bottom six' on any given weekend, you could make an argument its some of the older guys really filling some of those bottom six positions. Will be interesting to see how that part evolves next year. I feel we could see a significant improvement as well - and with our younger better players getting more consistent with experience, the future looks really bright.

I agree with Muttley that we still need a few elite youngsters - but by gee there is a solid core of players coming through all together, that will peak all together in our younger brigade.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Robbo mentioned on his Likes/ Dislikes column for the Herald Sun that Essendon see Parker as a trade target! I cannot see that happening. He is surely one of our untouchables and he is signed up for several more years? Bomber arrogance I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Robbo mentioned on his Likes/ Dislikes column for the Herald Sun that Essendon see Parker as a trade target! I cannot see that happening. He is surely one of our untouchables and he is signed up for several more years? Bomber arrogance I think.
    I saw that too. Isn’t Robbo a Bombers fan? Wishful thinking maybe.

Veterans List
    Just another journo filling space with mindless rubbish. We should have a thread that lists every trade utterance by journos for the year and then see how many of those actually happened. On previous years it's a small %.

Parker is exactly what Essendon need but he's going nowhere, next Swans captain.

Veterans List
    Rohan is an interesting one for me. Barring an injury run he cannot possibly be considered for another game this year. I think if an offer comes from another club then we would have to seriously consider it. He has added no value to the club for 2 years bar a mark on the goal line against Essendon. Even his forward pressure dropped off in the games. I don't underestimate the effect of his personal issues. Maybe a fresh start would be the best for him.

Senior Player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If he became available, I can't see a team that would not target him.

Senior Player
    Rohan is an interesting one for me. Barring an injury run he cannot possibly be considered for another game this year. I think if an offer comes from another club then we would have to seriously consider it. He has added no value to the club for 2 years bar a mark on the goal line against Essendon. Even his forward pressure dropped off in the games. I don't underestimate the effect of his personal issues. Maybe a fresh start would be the best for him.
    Nico, even at the start of this season, I would have argued this with you.

I've been a staunch Rohan defender since he walked in the door, but your comments are resonating with me.

Like you, I don't underestimate the broken leg, other injuries and the awful family tragedy; but, I keep remembering his ordinary efforts in some really big games, his generally low numbers and his capacity to over run the ball so many times with his extreme pace being almost uncontrollable.

I reckon the Swans would seriously entertain a reasonable offer.

Hate to say it.