Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Coaching and Plan B

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    As I posted on another thread, I noticed how excited the 3 assistants were at the end of the Geelong game, and how they mobbed the players on the ground. It pointed (IMHO) to their collective belief that their coaching input had had a major effect to the turn-around for the 4th quarter.

I may be quite wrong, and Longmire was equally ecstatic as the players came back to the rooms.
    I read the same into the situation and was going to comment, also. There seemed to be vested interest in their reaction.

We also had a breeze at our backs in the last quarter, maybe footy is that simple sometimes?
    C'mon Chels!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    I read the same into the situation and was going to comment, also. There seemed to be vested interest in their reaction.

We also had a breeze at our backs in the last quarter, maybe footy is that simple sometimes?
    Does a breeze at your back help win 10 clearances in a row?

Wouldn't it be amazing if someone somewhere published a tactical analysis of every game of AFL: as in the moves and counter-moves made by coaches and players throughout each game, those that worked, those that failed etc. Longmire always stonewalls in post-game interviews and gives the same bland comments about effort and intensity. I'd love to know what really happened.

Or is this already happening and I don't know about it?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Does a breeze at your back help win 10 clearances in a row?
    True. Kennedy was a beast. A breeze definitely helps getting out the back of a zone, though.
    C'mon Chels!

Interesting article about trends in coaching and the value of taking shots from long range: Go long or go home: How NBA tactics are changing how, or where, AFL teams kick for goal - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Suggests it is valuable to have a few players who can shoot from long range - this forces the defence to press higher creating more opportunities closer to goal as well.

Apart from Buddy, which are our players best at shooting from long range? Gazza can roost the ball a long way. Rampe showed his ability in AFLX but is seldom in position to deploy it. Dawson has this ability too but has only played one game so far. Other players can make the distance but right now none are jumping out at me as being particularly good at it. Who am I missing?

Another interesting stat illuminating trends with rucks: The club with more hit-outs wins 57.3 per cent of the time in 2018 (43.7 per cent in 2017) - sourced here: The stats files: The three keys to winning games in 2018 - AFL.com.au. The article also highlights the value of contested possessions, something we aim to excel in. Possibly the most interesting part of the story is that the Tigers are not excelling in any of the stats they are highlighting as important, despite sitting pretty as reigning premiers and second on the ladder which suggests they are playing a different game style to the rest of the comp, and clearly doing so very successfully.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678