Thread: Coaching and Plan B

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With Horse it's more like a Q & Neigh.
    Of some mild myrth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With Horse it's more like a Q & Neigh.
    Now that is of some mild myrth.

Your posting history says to me that you would be great to have drink No.s 3, 4 and 5 with before running for the hills before No.6 is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Of some mild myrth.

- - - Updated - - -

Your posting history says to me that you would be great to have drink No.s 3, 4 and 5 with before running for the hills before No.6 is finished.

Is myrth some kind of incense that smells funny?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Of some mild myrth.

- - - Updated - - -

Not so. Has a beer but not likely to no.6. Has a quick wit and a mixture of American and Australian humour.

Simon Dalrymple from the Bulldogs has come on board. He will assume Kinnear Beatsons position and Kinnear has been promoted to GM of List Management. I've been told that Simon has a great eye for talent, especially, hidden talent. Hopefully he and Kinnear will be able to find those gems for us. With the appointment of Chris Keane this increases of list management yo team by one which might mean we no longer have the smallest list management team in the league.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 9th February 2018 at 08:18 PM.

Kinnear was a special guest last night at the Redback cocktail party. They asked the floor if anyone had any questions, I had a statement... if he ever leaves us, I'll hunt him down and make him regret it!!
    I had a chat with him when he came off the stage. I told him that if a club really wants to be as successful as we are, they need to recruit Kinnear. He almost had tears in his eyes and he said that he really appreciated hearing that, it meant a lot to him.
    He told me the best news... he's signed on for another three years!!!
    L.E.G.E.N.D.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Well done Annie.

Thanks for sharing, Annie.

In a recent video on the Swans website reference was made to a Rick somebody or other (I think) "Football manager" (not Rick Barham). Did anyone else catch this or have any idea who they were referring to? It was a name I had never heard before. I wish I had got around to posting this question at the time while I still remembered his name. I can't find where it was referred to now.

Plan A, Plan B, Plan C. Plan C who invented that? OOps. Just being being factious. Coaches have a game plan or two separate game plans sometimes. But the strategies used in those plans depend on the opposition. The basic plan stays the same but they tweak moves due to opposition moves. for instance a match up that isn't working can be changed quickly. But if the structure is wrong and you don't have the right personnel then there are deep problems that are not easily fixed or are impossible to fix. In last year's final against the Cats we simply didn't have the right personnel to combat their game plan. They also changed their game plan and personnel for that game. Our coaching staff should have been prepared for any eventuality but they weren't. They basically lost us the game at the selection table. I just wonder what sort of difference the selection of Aliir an possibly one other could have made. Even one player can make a difference when it comes to balance. we went in with a highly unbalanced line up.

What I noticed during the dreadful X and the first practice match were the trying of different tactics. some worked and some were abject failures. Our second quarter demise was as much to do with stoppage tactics as it was to do with the huge wind that was in play. Those stoppage tactics were just not working and we were being opened up. Many of the tactics used in the practice match will need tweaking, that is why you play practice matches. But unfortunately we still manage to play a lot of the game in our defensive half which is very draining on the players. We need to attack more. When we attack we need to stop just popping the ball on the head of our talls. Many leads were ignored and instead we bombed long. In the first quarter we played some good footy but still insisted on bottling the ball up for long periods. This is not the way to beat sides. We need to create a game that runs the ball quickly.

I am also worried about some of the player's disposal. I am sure this will improve as time goes on but several players are bothering me on this front. Harry for instance did not deliver well in X and he continued on in the practice match in much the same fashion. One of his major weapons for us was his ability to burst out of play and kick really long direct perfect passes to forwards. He needs to regain this ability very soon or he will be superfluous. Other will pass him by. This is only a small sample I know and we don't take the pre-season as a serious game. I don't give a rat's arse who wins this crap as it is only for trying stuff but our players need to be in good or better disposal effectiveness. This is the reason we have recruited Hewett, Florent, Lloyd, Cunningham, Hayward, Newman, Dawson, Heeney, Mills, Papley, Ling, Cameron, Maibaum, Stoddart, Bell, Fox, Melican, Amarty & Ronke. All these players have the ability to hit up targets short, medium or long distance. Even Sinclair is a pretty good field kick.

The old days of kick and miss or kick in hope must be just that, the old days and should be left in the past. We need to develop a very different, more attacking game. Our game has been built on scrimmage, extract, run, maybe deliver. It has to be about stoppage, extract, run, deliver. Our forward set up needs to be more flexible. We need to look at more options coming in than Franklin, Reid and Sinclair. when we use the free players these talls create we kick really big scores. When we don't we stagnate. With so many players who deliver the ball well coming into the squad, I think we need a far better forward structure accept the delivery. Players need to be able to lead up at the ball or turn back and lead back. They need to create space. that happens through spreading the talls. By this I mean the talls don't all go to one side of the ground or clog up the centre. I mean spread, everyone spread, some back nearer goad , some closer to the centre between CHF & centre. This allows at least one leading player to be able to complete the lead and get on the end of a pass. I saw a few examples of this in the practice match and the X but of course X doesn't really count.

Who will get the nod for the pre-season comp? I feel that Towers is in our side for first game so why not leave him, Parks, Joey, maybe Buddy and a few others out of the first game. Then play them in the second to get them match ready for the first match.

Veterans List
    Looks like Macca may miss all the pre season games and the first official round...... Veteran Swan closes in on unwanted four-peat - AFL.com.au An end of season masterstroke (McVeigh's extension) now looking a bit shaky......but I'm sure he'll be ok.

Veterans List
    McVeigh calf soreness again ????. What a surprise...not!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Technically keeping McVeigh was a poor decision.
    But it was the correct decision.
    I doubt Clarkson would have allowed him to stay on the list, which is now kind of weird given that the Hawks WERE the 'family club'
    I'm happy for the Swans to take on that name.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

All teams have a plan A & B in Defence ie high pressure or zone

In attack the swans have primarily played quick transitions and rarely played in constested

I was lucky enough to ask some players at a dinner late last year and they did say that they don�t revert to uncontested very often as the argument is that if u are hammering away at contested for long enough generally this comes out on top

Maybe hawthorn were unique in the player talent they had was just amazing for a few years there and they had enough leadership on the pitch that could adjust between contested and in contested footy at a high level of execution ?

They did it in spades in my opinion and it was a massive advantage to control games....... and I still feel we have enough to experience and enough depth to be able to execute and be Flexible at the Swans in 2018 and I thought that for 2017 also

yet we got our pants pulled down when it counted because we were not fl flexible

If we can be flexible in applying high pressure at either end of the field in defence and even zone when need be ie 3 types of defence setups why can�t we be flexible in attack ??

The answe was that they are working on that for 2018

Let�s see

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast