Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most talented list

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I wouldn't call Franklin clearly our most talented player.
    I think a few other hats would be in that ring.
    I appreciate the sentiment CtS, but frankly, think that it's a lay-down misere. He is a once in a generation player. I reckon what he did in the second quarter against Essendon in the final last year, knowing that he had a corkie that was going to hobble him the next week (thanks Goddard),was just amazing. He shredded them, utterly imposed his will on the game, and did so with skill, power, grace and relish. Of all the things I've watched him do, for us and for the Hawks, that was just astonishing.

He's our most talented forward for sure.
    I've never seen him as being the only person in his own ball park.
    We had the stingiest backline last year, led by Grundy.
    Some players get more pomp and ceremony than others (and also more Brownlow votes)
    Not trying to bring down Franklin, he's a champion, like many others in the team.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Some players get more pomp and ceremony than others (and also more Brownlow votes)
    Not trying to bring down Franklin, he's a champion, like many others in the team.
    Yep, the back half shows us the way I reckon: the whole is much more than the sum of its parts. That key players have left over the last five years�Mattner, Shaw, Malceski�but it hasn't missed a beat is amazing. Imagine playing in that unit, the confidence it would give you. And now there are players lining up to be a part of it.

I suspect we may see Jordan Dawson play a Mackie / Harry Taylor type of role off the HBF this season with the ability to play forward in equal minutes

Rampe was a midfielder before going the Swans and being made into a very competent and competitive back

The best development in a weak neafl for Jordan was to play on the ball in the midfield so he is ready for afl Snrs

He can now play all three areas of the ground if he wants it bad enough

Senior Player
    There were reasons Dawson didn't get a run.
    There were reasons Allir didn't get another run.

I don't know what they were/are, but I trust the club is looking after the players, as well as putting the best team on the track every week.
    I suspect Dawson was supposed to get a few more games, but someone somewhere made an admin error when entering the team for that week. It's the only reason I can think of as to why Jordan Foote kept getting games

Veterans List
    Anyone been to training and noticed which group Dawson is with? That might give us a clue as to how he's viewed by the coaching staff.

I think Dawson is more suited to a half forward/midfield role. He has a good tank and is a good pressure player who makes plenty of tackles. Also kicks goals from a long way out. He's been a big possession winner in the NEAFL. He's a medium paced player and is not the line breaker we look for in a halfback role, if you can get it. We also have a fair number of players targeting a halfback role if one should arise: Marsh, O'Riordan, Ling and Stoddart. Ronke, Fox and Florent may also be well suited to a defensive role. Spots are hard to come by, but it seems the best prospects for Dawson would be more forward than back.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Anyone been to training and noticed which group Dawson is with? That might give us a clue as to how he's viewed by the coaching staff.
    I watched a few training sessions last pre-season and I've been to two or three this pre-season, including a hot hour and a half or so this morning watching them play what amounted to an intra-club game.

I swear that in all the sessions I've watched, I've yet to see Dawson participate. On a few occasions I've witnessed him running laps on his own but never taking part in the skills or match simulations. And while I didn't do a mental roll call today, I did look out for Dawson and I'm pretty sure he wasn't there. He wasn't running laps - at least not while I was there - and nor did I see him loitering under the tarpaulin with the rest of the non-participating players.

I believe there are three players who have had the most influence on the game. The best three if you like. Lethal Matthew, Gary Ablett Snr & Lance Buddy Franklin. Junior doesn't even come close and nor does any other player. Martin may join them, time will tell. The other boy who might is Josh Kelly but is a long way from proving that yet.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Yep, the back half shows us the way I reckon: the whole is much more than the sum of its parts. That key players have left over the last five years�Mattner, Shaw, Malceski�but it hasn't missed a beat is amazing. Imagine playing in that unit, the confidence it would give you. And now there are players lining up to be a part of it.
    You just hit the nail on the head though 'unit' it is a group not one. Buddy is a one man destruction package as was Lethal & Gazza Snr

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk

So Buddy >>> Plugger?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

So Buddy >>> Plugger?

you know, that's the very question I was mulling over as I washed the dishes last night.
    I only saw the tail of Plugger's career (became a member in 1999: the first match i attended was Goodesy's debut).

As I dried off the cutlery I came to the tentative conclusion that I'd put Franklin ahead of both of them as a total package. Plugger was obviously playing in a different era, when he could be a stay at home FF, and was absolutely devastating leading out of the square, but did not seem to my (admittedly uneducated) eyes to have an impact further up the ground (except insofar as he would have had a motivating impact on the mids who knew that if they got the ball into his area . . .).

Goodes had an impact all over the field and I loved watching him play. I'm struggling for words, because I wanted to write that he did not dominate physically as consistently as Franklin, nor dominate for such long periods, but that might not be fair either.

The other player who seemed to dominate as I learnt to watch the sport was Wayne Carey, who seemed to rule the whole game from CHF, and around whom entire games would pivot. Those Swans-North games in the early 2000s were crackers, and Carey always seemed to be not just the go to man, but had every player on the field responding to what he was doing. He was like the centre of gravity around which everything turned.

But I do think that Franklin pips them all.

And then I just watched that Dustin Martin 2017 highlights reel. Strewth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast