Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most talented list

Most talented list

Champion data (according to AFL.com.au) has us as the most talented list in the AFL. 17 players rated 'elite' or 'above average'.

As we all know talent alone does not win premierships, it takes a 'champion team' and not a 'team of champions'.

The article also refers to us as 'Lance Franklin's Swans'. I personally don't have an issue with this, but I wonder how Joey Kennedy would feel seeing as he is the captain.

Depending on what the context was in which they said that, I have a problem with it.
    Smacks of Bondi Billionaire crap
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Depending on what the context was in which they said that, I have a problem with it.
    Smacks of Bondi Billionaire crap
    Notice Eddie McGuire, one of the authors of the term Bondi Billionaire, is President of the Melbourne Stars . Team hasn't fired a shot in BBL despite a line up of gun players. Not a peep out of Eddie and hardly a blip of criticism in the media. Protected species in Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post

As we all know talent alone does not win premierships, it takes a 'champion team' and not a 'team of champions'.
    Unless the team of champions is really really good.

I agree with CTS. Depending on context, not appropriate to refer to "Lance Franklin's Swans". We are a team and we play as a team - not appropriate to single out a single player in this way. Anyway, he is our MVP not our captain or spiritual leader (like, say, Kelly, Kirky or Goodsey).

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Unless the team of champions is really really good.
    And that team of champions plays like 1 team and not individual champion.

Veterans List
    I think many of us have forgotten how impressive and composed Aliir was in 2016, if he can recapture his 2016 form he will add another dimension down back.

After the 2016 season Aliir rated Above Average and was on the cusp of being rated Elite by Champion Data so we'll be even better placed in terms of list talent, on paper that is!

AA was fantastic for our transition variety

Let�s see how much he wants to keep zero space between his match up this season in defence

Yes, "Lance Franklin's Swans" was sort of wrong, as it possibly had the insinuation, that we got to be so talented by buying elite players.
    Another thing that I found interesting, was that Carlton was apparently the least talented list. I'm not sure what they have done with their list over the off season, but last year, in terms of players taken as top ten draft picks, the only club that had more was GWS. Which suggests that plenty of high draft picks may be overrated. It seems to me, that the higher salary that high picks tend to get, could be disproportionate, to the actual difference in skills with the other lesser players on the list. It could also mean, that some of the other players are being paid under the odds, which may effect their performance.
    And by way of contrast, us Swans are supposed to have the most talented list, but year in and year out, we are one of the teams with the lowest number of top ten picks and highest number of players originally taken in the rookie draft.

I think we are like, really elite. Even really really elite. We are so elite, I would say we are elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think we are like, really elite. Even really really elite. We are so elite, I would say we are elitist.
    Yeah, we are so elite, the prize for our B & F, is a Hunter Valley vineyard.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yeah, we are so elite, the prize for our B & F, is a Hunter Valley vineyard.
    If we were settling Australia now, we wouldn't be planting vines in the Hunter Valley!

Barossa and McLaren Vale are the two best Shiraz regions by a long way.

Carlton has a stack of high draft picks on their list but Champion Data rates players on actual performances and many of their picks are yet to reach potential due to age.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast